LG Course Helmet?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

are

by are

Is anyone using the new LG Course helmet?

I have a Giro Prolight that I detest. I'm looking for a new helmet that's reasonably light, has good venting and looks okay. The Giro Aeon is a candidate. The LG helmet looks like it might also fit the bill, plus the possible aero benefits. However, I can't find much about it online from people/reviewers who have actually used the helmet. If anyone is riding with one, it'd be great to hear your thoughts, esp versus other helmets you've used.

Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

I should have one arriving within a week from now (I ordered it a few days ago).
I will post a review with verified weight, and I will be able to compare it to a few other helmets I've used.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

quattrings

by quattrings

blast, I ordered mine weeks ago and it's only expected in stock on the 25th.

I'm interested in hearing your findings prendrefeu.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Apparently they are just literally getting in stock right now, I've been waiting on one since last September to be honest, and it finally came through on Monday.

are

by are

I saw that Voeckler was wearing a different LG helmet in the Dauphine stage he won - makes me wonder if maybe the ventilation isn't as good as in their regular helmets.

wpccrunner
in the industry

by wpccrunner

rode with Louis and some of his Canadian friends who were wearing this helmet well over a month ago. Looks pretty nice and quite small on the head. Id imagine its not too terrible on ventilation since it was already 85+ degrees down here in south Florida.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

So I've now had the pleasure of riding with this helmet for a week, tracking 270mi and 22,000' of climbing in the week, both long extended climbs ( >22mi, avg 5%) and shorter punchy ones (<3mi, avg 10%) as well as some time spent on the flats. Temperatures ranged from 62°F in the mornings along the coast to 93°F on some climbs. On the way home today I stopped by a friend's work so he could take some photos with a decent camera. Once he sends those to me I'll post up a thorough review.

are

by are

Looking forward to the review. That's a big week of riding.

quattrings

by quattrings

Evanscycles should have them in stock next week, I hope I can take it on my 4 day bike vacation to germany.
I've also splurred some more cash and got an Gaerneau black knight TT helmet :oops:

headwind816

by headwind816

@ prendrefeu - I suspect you are over the 500 mile mark; how are you liking the helmet?

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

It's been overall good. I do need to write that report, I've just been a bit too busy lately with work and travel.

In very, very brief:
-Does it vent? Yes, especially when you go fast. It might vent better for people with less hair up on their noggin than myself (I have a thick set of curls, and my hair is long compared to most cyclists). It does get hot when going up hill, but only marginally more than a regular 'Dragon Ball Z!' style helmet (again, my circumstances are part of this...)
-Is it fast? Yes, yes, yes. I don't know how much this compares to a regular TT helmet or the Giro Attack, but I can state outright that in testing via a consistent descent multiple times I noted a speed gain of at least 4mph and up to 6mph compared to the older helmet (LAS Victory). This isn't empirical, wind-tunnel data however but it is what I'm seeing on the Garmin. Fluke? No idea, but I am convinced that a helmet will have more aero affect than a frame.
-Does it look good? Yes. It looks really damn good.
-Does your head end up looking like a mushroom? Nope.
-Does it accommodate holding sunglasses through the vents? Yes, and very securely.
-Is it light? Not terribly, not heavy either. A bit average in weight for high-end helmets.
-Do I prefer this to the Giro Air Attack - On venting? No idea. On purely looks? Yes, without a doubt. This is personal preference, however.

Sorry for keeping it quick. I'll do a proper write up in the Road section sometime in the next few days complete with photos and weights and link it here.

headwind816

by headwind816

Thanks! I am currently riding a LAS Victory, but I have been looking at this helmet for some time now.

Safe journey! I look forward to a complete write up including weight soon.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

I finally posted the review over in the Road section because I thought it is more apt: it is marketed as a Road helmet afterall. I hope my review helps a little bit on your helmet selection process.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=117273

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com