Garmin Out-in-front Mounts Ad Nauseum

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

gjash

by gjash

I'll be picking one of these up and need to choose the mount. I'm thinking between the Garmin mount and K-Edge. The K-Edge is a little more expensive but you can adjust it closer to the stem for the 500 or further out for the 800. What is everybody using for their out-front mount and does the 500 seem to stick out too much on the Garmin mount? Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pje0713

by pje0713

Sadly, I bought all these garmin mounts in my quest to find the lightest/best option. Cliff Notes version - of these, get the RaceWare.

Here are pics.

K-edge. Cool but fat. Like that the out-in-front arm aligns with the bottom of the stem, keeping the garmin in line with stem instead of above the stem.

Garmin's own offering. Ok but fat and plastic gets you worst of both worlds.

SRAM's offering. Light. 2nd place in looks to k-edge. Out-in-front arm aligns with top of the stem meaning the garmin is perched above stem. Torx screw is hard to swap to ti or aluminum because it's a funky size.

RaceWare version for Garmin 800/810. Lightest. Was 14.x with standard bolt, it was easy to swap for a ti bolt, bringing it to 13.8. Out-in-front arm aligns with bottom of stem, keeping Garmin in line with stem. RaceWare branding looks a bit chintzy but it's raised black-on-black lettering and at this point we're really nitpicking.

RaceWare has worked well so far on rides, no complaints.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Nice compilation! Thanks for putting this together.

(currently using the RWD mount, no complaints, absolutely love it)
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

mrlobber

by mrlobber

Got a 3D printed mount here:
http://www.shapeways.com/model/964383/w ... -turn.html

Dead 14g with screws (that was V1 though, don't know about V2).
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

mattjevans

by mattjevans

Any thoughts on Barfly 1.1 ?

pje0713

by pje0713

Bar fly 1.1 seems to be the same story as sram. Weight looks same (or maybe a touch more) according to bikeradar, it perches the garmin above the stem too.

http://m.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ac ... 7006/#next

Only reason to buy this over sram is the gaudy white sram logo if you are a campy/shimano guy. But you can paint over that easily if you prefer the looks of the sram mount.

For me, the raceware is still the winner. Looks normal, light at below 14g, no gaudy logos, mounts garmin in line with stem, and it works...

Devon

by Devon

Does 16.4g really make any difference to the bike? :unbelievable:

A bit of mud on the seatstays or tyres will make a larger difference...

pje0713

by pje0713

Do you know what website this is? :)

Devon

by Devon

pje0713 wrote:Do you know what website this is? :)

I know this, but worrying over 16 grammes is a little excessive.

pje0713

by pje0713

The deda zero100 stems and the servizio corse are less than 10g difference at 100mm length but there's a $40-50 price difference. So obviously people are willing to pay for slight reductions.

The difference here is two-fold. First, you actually save money going raceware or sram over k-edge (whilst also saving weight). Second, unlike a stem where stiffness is paramount, these little things are only dead weight if they are built heavier than they need to be to hold a garmin in place when you hit bumps on the road. In short, you aren't losing any function with the lighter mounts. If they work, they work.

End rant :)

pje0713

by pje0713

My wife would agree with you wholeheartedly.

kode54

by kode54

great wrap up on out front mounts.

i've used the barfly 1.0 and 1.1, garmin out front. at the time, i didn't see any option for the lower raceware version...but it looks quite nice and lower than barfly.
the SRAM mount never appealed to me since it is top mounted (like barfly)..not flush mounted like the never mounts.
the Garmin mount takes my 800 nicely (no surprise here), although it is not entirely straight with the stem (Enve stem and bar). i'm willing to try out the raceware once.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

astranoc

by astranoc

pje0713 wrote:My wife would agree with you wholeheartedly.

:lol: :lol:

I have two RaceWare mounts and they work great. Light, ok price and Martin is a sound chap to deal with.

743power
Shop Wrench

by 743power

I've had a similar path, which started with the original barfly. I'm currently using the k-edge, because I like the positioning and security of it the most. I never felt comfortable with the barfly. The garmin sits crooked on the garmin mount. I dont like how the k edge interferes with my cable exiting under the tape. I'd like to try the raceware, as it seems the best compromise but find it too expensive at the moment.
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com