Another cyclist killed in UK

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderator: Moderator Team

Post Reply
User avatar
Roobay
Posts: 1958
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:19 pm
Location: On Pave

by Roobay

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-21651333" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My thoughts are with his family RIP
i like people... i just can't stand assholes

by Weenie


NS
Posts: 2541
Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2003 7:27 pm
Location: Manchester, UK

by NS

Indeed a tragic loss

I would like to point out however to those not familiar with racing in the UK that road races take place on open roads while motorists go about their daily business under no obligation to stop. Nobody should be jumping to any conclusions about who's fault this tragic accident was.

Privateer
Posts: 383
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:28 pm

by Privateer

As it does in Australia and Europe.

Regardless of who's at fault it is tragic.

User avatar
tymon_tm
Posts: 2466
Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:35 pm

by tymon_tm

NS, don't you at least get to race under some police escort?
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

campbellrae
Posts: 546
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:20 am
Location: Glasgow, Scotland

by campbellrae

Most of the time(well sometimes) there are motorbike outriders but they don't actually have the power to stop traffic they can only ask and hope people comply...

eric
Posts: 2196
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2003 9:47 pm
Location: Santa Cruz, California, USA
Contact:

by eric

Most races in the US are on open roads as well. For some races we have a lead moto (I've done that; I'm also a motorcyclist).

We also have referees who enforce the centerline rule by moving offenders to the back of the field for a chat. It's for safety but I am still surprised at how many masters racers will curse the ref for enforcing the centerline.

User avatar
djconnel
Posts: 7926
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:57 pm
Location: San Francisco, CA
Contact:

by djconnel

Having done more running races than bike races the past few years, the prima donna factor in the latter has become all the more evident to me.

User avatar
ultimobici
in the industry
Posts: 3023
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2004 2:45 pm
Location: London, UK
Contact:

by ultimobici

djconnel wrote:Having done more running races than bike races the past few years, the prima donna factor in the latter has become all the more evident to me.

What on earth has this got to do with the tragedy last weekend?

User avatar
stephen@fibre-lyte
in the industry
Posts: 605
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 12:22 am
Contact:

by stephen@fibre-lyte

NS wrote:I would like to point out however to those not familiar with racing in the UK that road races take place on open roads while motorists go about their daily business under no obligation to stop. Nobody should be jumping to any conclusions about who's fault this tragic accident was.


Really?

I know that's the case for Time Trials as it's one rider at a time, but I thought that multi person start events needed police sanctioning and I would have thought the police would only allow that on closed roads?

User avatar
Miller
Posts: 1326
Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:54 pm
Location: Reading, UK

by Miller

stephen@fibre-lyte wrote:I know that's the case for Time Trials as it's one rider at a time, but I thought that multi person start events needed police sanctioning and I would have thought the police would only allow that on closed roads?


You're UK based and in the bike business, don't you pay any attention to amateur road racing? They don't get closed roads. Hardly anything gets closed roads in the UK, everyone in government is petrified of whingeing motorists. Didn't it take an act of parliament to get closed roads for the TdF in 2007?

Amateur road races typically run on circuits with whatever lead cars and motorbikes the organiser can get together. The police don't take any part other than in not prohibiting the race which, in some districts, they do through lack of sympathy.

User avatar
ultimobici
in the industry
Posts: 3023
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2004 2:45 pm
Location: London, UK
Contact:

by ultimobici

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/46709

Give powers to stop vehicles to the National Escort Group

Responsible department: Department for Transport

The National Escort Group (NEG) provide safety cover for cyclists racing on the UK roads. They have no power to stop vehicles so their presence is there only cover. Following the tragic loss of a cyclist on the Severn Bridge RR I would ask that it be considered to allow the NEG powers to stop vehicles whilst the race in progress for no longer than 4-5 mins much like they do in Belgium. This will provide safer racing on the road and reduce the risk for motorist and cyclist thus allowing the Police to continue on their daily duty as the risk is drastically reduced due to the presence of the NEG in an official capacity. The NEG work closely with British Cycling and have worked on the biggest races in the UK inc the London 2012 Olympics. Simple powers of stopping vehicles WILL save lives.

User avatar
stephen@fibre-lyte
in the industry
Posts: 605
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 12:22 am
Contact:

by stephen@fibre-lyte

Miller wrote:
stephen@fibre-lyte wrote:I know that's the case for Time Trials as it's one rider at a time, but I thought that multi person start events needed police sanctioning and I would have thought the police would only allow that on closed roads?


You're UK based and in the bike business, don't you pay any attention to amateur road racing? They don't get closed roads. Hardly anything gets closed roads in the UK, everyone in government is petrified of whingeing motorists. Didn't it take an act of parliament to get closed roads for the TdF in 2007?

Amateur road races typically run on circuits with whatever lead cars and motorbikes the organiser can get together. The police don't take any part other than in not prohibiting the race which, in some districts, they do through lack of sympathy.


We rarely have any road races around here hence my question. The bicycle business is only a very small part of what we do and to be honest I've been more involved with triathlons over the years which vary between open and closed roads, although admittedly mostly open roads. The only mass start events that I've attended around here have all been closed road or on circuits. I honestly think that with all the cars on the road these days and the very dubious ways in which many of them are being driven, that having open road mass start events is a worry.

Incidentally, thank you for the first comment in your post, no I don't pay particular attention to amateur road racing, which is why I was asking the question and hopeful to not receive a condescending reply! Just because I work for a company 'in the bike business' does that mean that I should? My passion is the bicycles themselves. To have a knowledge of all the differing events that cycles are involved in and then considering that the bicycles are a small part of our core business, there simply wouldn't be enough hours in the day. :(

by Weenie


Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post