Track frame with BB30 and square taper crank a no go?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

el condor

by el condor

I got a track frame with a BB30 bottom bracket, what sort of cranks can I run on it? Is it really that bad to run a road crank on a track frame (chain line issue)? I was searching for track cranks, was surprised that most of the cranks are square taper, and I haven´t found a way a square taper crank could be fitted in a BB30 bottom bracket. There seem to be very few track cranks with integrated spindle which would be easier for fitting. I´m prefere a black crank. My favourite non black crank would be the Shimano track one but comes only with square taper.
What is the reason that most track cranks are square taper? It would add stiffness if the bearings were fitted outside the frame?
Thanks for any information.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Elrey

by Elrey

Think Sram makes something for the Omnium. I remeber a issue with the GT pulse alu frame.
Sorry, but can't remember it. Try goooOooogle

el condor

by el condor

I´ve googled a long time and yes a found a crank with the spindle incorporated, but haven´t found an answer whether a square taper crank could be fitted to a BB30 one w or another. I still believe there´s must be a way to do it but I just haven´t found the answer yet, maybe someone has found a way to do it.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

you get one of these

pressed in, and now you have a regular English threaded BB.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

el condor

by el condor

bikerjulio wrote:you get one of these

Hi bikerjulio, thank´s, yes I have one of those, but it may only work for external bearings, if I were to run a square taper crank I could mount a square taper compatible bb into the adapter shell but it would not hold itself against the frames bb shell (just at the adapter) which-even when using Loctite for the adapter wouldn´t be strong enough to hold itself in the frame.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

not sure I totally agree, but don't have personal experience to back it up.

BB30 and these adapters have been around for over 10 years - well before the advent of external bearings. so there must be plenty of installations around with cartridge type BB's.

One.

djm

by djm

el condor wrote:
bikerjulio wrote:you get one of these

Hi bikerjulio, thank´s, yes I have one of those, but it may only work for external bearings, if I were to run a square taper crank I could mount a square taper compatible bb into the adapter shell but it would not hold itself against the frames bb shell (just at the adapter) which-even when using Loctite for the adapter wouldn´t be strong enough to hold itself in the frame.

Not sure how the use of a square taper bearing would be any different from a threaded external bearing used with this adapter. The Shimano bearings certainly do not hold on to anything BUT the sleeve. The sleeve is in turn mounted using Loctite for cylindrical applications and sits extremely well in the frame. I used one of these sleeves in combination with BSA68 external Shimano bearings and there was no visible movement nor any creaking what so ever.

Does a square taper BB-bearing exert extremely much more force on the BB than an external bearing? As stated, it doesn't attach to the frame itself/the bb itself, only to the sleeve in turn fastened with Loctite for cylindrical applications.

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

Any particular reason why you need a square taper BB?
"Physiology is all just propaganda and lies... all waiting to be disproven by the next study."
"I'm not a real doctor; But I am a real worm; I am an actual worm." - TMBG

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

Hi OP. I agree even less with you now that I've measured a couple of outboard cups I have. SRAM for example are less than 40mm diameter at the outside of the shoulder. A BB30 frame has an ID of 42mm, so the cup isn't going to be anywhere near the frame.

So, regardless of whether it's an outboard or cartridge type bearing, 100% of the BB attachment is to the adapter alone, and always has been for the last 10+ years.

Or to put it another way, I think you are worrying unnecessarily, and that with the correct installation you should be fine.

One.

el condor

by el condor

Haven't measured the outer diameter of the outer-bearing shell, but if they are all less than 42mm's then of course it makes no difference to a cartridge shell.
@ Tapeworm-since most track cranks are square taper,it will offer a bigger choice of cranks using a square taper bb.

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

A lot of track cranks are square taper for nothing but tradition. Unless you're a sprinter. "Standard" outboard BB works fine on a track bike. Unless your name is "Hoy" and you see 2kW on the power meter.
"Physiology is all just propaganda and lies... all waiting to be disproven by the next study."
"I'm not a real doctor; But I am a real worm; I am an actual worm." - TMBG

eric01

by eric01

Contact the manufacturer and ask for suggestions on cranks? They decided to build a track frame with BB30, so surely they must be aware of a BB30 crank that can work for track applications.
Specialized Tarmac Sworks SL6, Moots Compact, Carl Strong Titanium

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

A. The press-in English to bb30 adapter will fully work. If there is ANY doubt, don't use grease on the threads, use Loctite 222. But you will NOT need it.
B. Sram omnium, Sram S300.
C. You can use a road crank with the ring in the inner position. Chainline will be 1mm onboard from ideal.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

I'm interested to hear the name of this frame.

One.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

yl53x11

by yl53x11

There is an Asian manufacturer: Ridea that makes CNC aluminum BB30 track cranks. I have not used them but I have their road cranks and Mountain cranks, both of which seemed to be made very well and have given me no trouble since I installed them 2 years ago.

--- Update----

Ridea no longer makes BB30 aluminum CNC track cranks. I just bought a BB24 crankset and Hawk Racing BB30-BB24 converter bearings for my BB30 Track frame. I was told by their rep that the chainrings are ceramic coated so will last longer than FSA or DA or whatever... we'll see.
Last edited by yl53x11 on Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.