Will Armstrong confess??

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderator: Moderator Team

Locked
User avatar
swinter
Posts: 1227
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2006 2:27 am
Location: Grosse Pointe, MI

by swinter

the sponsors didn't get any money back. the $75 million LA was complaining about was the loss of future income.
"I can't understand why people are frightened by new ideas. I'm frightened of old ones." -- John Cage

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/phpBB ... 928#126928

User avatar
HammerTime2
Posts: 5430
Joined: Thu May 04, 2006 4:43 pm
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

wassertreter wrote:
Rick wrote:"Guilty" or not, I see this as a witch hunt motivated by the hope of extracting money from Armstrong.

Only that USADA and those who might seek compensation are different entities.
As for USADA leading the hunt, rather than calling it a witch hunt, the skeptical observer could potentially view it as a trophy hunt. Tygart got his trophy, but the apple in Armstrong's mouth still awaits. I'm willing to let Tygart get his trophy in exchange for his hard work and risk. But I'd like to know why the U.S. Attorney dropped the investigation against Armstrong - maybe some of Armstrong's money and influence well spent, or perhaps just a diligent civil servant with the noblest of reasons?

User avatar
stella-azzurra
Posts: 5072
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:35 am
Location: New York

by stella-azzurra

swinter wrote:the sponsors didn't get any money back. the $75 million LA was complaining about was the loss of future income.


The sponsors made money as a result of having Lance on their team.

Trek Bicycles
Giro Helmets
Radioshack
24HR Fitness Centers
FRS Sports Drinks
Anheuser-Busch
Nissan
Sunglasses maker Oakley
Fitness equipment manufacturer Johnson Health Tech
Bicycle component maker SRAM

The sponsors will milk it for as long as they can.

Only when they are me with disapproval of the public will they dump their cash cow.
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

User avatar
djconnel
Posts: 7926
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:57 pm
Location: San Francisco, CA
Contact:

by djconnel

Rick wrote:A young, successful athlete was "arrogant and narcissistic".....Boo frikken Hoo. When has that ever been a reason hate them ?!?!?
He "ruined peoples lives"....because he kicked people who were hostile to him off the team, etc ? Boo Hoo.
.


He ruined people's careers. Frankie Andreu wasn't allowed to get job with a major team. When he did, Kendra 5 Hour energy just happened to not get into any stage races last year. Anyone who wrote anything even remotely against him lost their job. He sued the London Times for writing true stories, and won.

Then there's those Frederick Bassons and Fillippe Simeoni....

And it's very possible that Hamilton testing positive, Landis testing positive, then Contador testing positive when all three were perceived by Armstrong to be threats may not be a coincidence. He had connections, we know that. I'm not saying Armstrong is the all-powerful puppetmaster. But he was getting warnings about tests. He was asked for payment, presumably a return for favors. We really don't know.

The guy was and remains ruthless. This isn't really about drugs.

User avatar
J-Nice
Posts: 1474
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2003 12:35 am

by J-Nice

stella-azzurra wrote:
J-Nice wrote:To put a certain perspective on the doping issue, Michael Rasmussen utilized 5 blood transfusions, 100,000 I.U. of EPO, and cortisone and testosterone during the 2007 Tour, the one where he and Contador went mano-a-mano in the mountains until "The Chicken" was unceremoniously ousted.

That's a lot of doping.


What is your point? Rasmussen needed a lot of blood to achieve those results?
How many bags did Contador need?

Chill out. Maybe if you weren't so needlessly combative you'd learn something.

The point of my post was to provide a window into the type of doping some of these guys were/are up to to achieve their performances. It puts a perspective into the actual details, as opposed to just assuming "everyone was/is doing it".

As for Contador, I haven't heard what the exact details of his program was like.
Check out the latest controversies in sport-

http://berzin.blogspot.com/

User avatar
stella-azzurra
Posts: 5072
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:35 am
Location: New York

by stella-azzurra

Did Rasmussen say this? or did this info come from some source you personally know?
Where do you get your info really?

I am awestruck by your presence on this forum. Please teach me. :lol:
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

sawyer
Posts: 4484
Joined: Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:45 pm
Location: Natovi Landing

by sawyer

Worth re-watching the original reaction in favour of LA from some dumb-dumb pros again. Not too many pros sticking up for him now.

Judgement

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSIi-YWM2Xs
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

User avatar
ave
Posts: 1711
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:15 pm
Location: Hungary

by ave

Worth watching! ;)
http://youtu.be/thyFmxusB9E?t=4m18s

His problems that Emma O'Reilly was paid for his testimony - he says because of it it has no journalistic credibility.

I wonder if armstrong was free for Oprah...

sawyer
Posts: 4484
Joined: Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:45 pm
Location: Natovi Landing

by sawyer

Rick wrote:
sawyer wrote:Is anyone on this forum still sticking up for this guy?

I guess I am.
"Guilty" or not, I see this as a witch hunt motivated by the hope of extracting money from Armstrong.
I am not defending cheating, but his cheating was no worse than most of the other top racers of his time. Lance just actually won races and made a lot of money. Hence the witch-hunt to "get him".
Some of the side issues that invariably get mentioned:
A young, successful athlete was "arrogant and narcissistic".....Boo frikken Hoo. When has that ever been a reason hate them ?!?!?
He "ruined peoples lives"....because he kicked people who were hostile to him off the team, etc ? Boo Hoo.
(Now if he really made death threats or anything, that is a felony and should be prosecuted like any felony. )

So my "defense" may be weak, but I just think the whole lance thing is blown totally out of proportion only because he was actually the most talented and succesful.


I guess your "witch-hunt" is what people generally consider the repayment of an ill-gotten fortune.

There's no doubt at all this wouldn't be anything like as big a deal if he hadn't been so "sucessful". Does that surprise you?
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

User avatar
btompkins0112
Posts: 2693
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:04 am
Location: Mississippi

by btompkins0112

What fortune isn't ill-gotten? We as a society create the greed, selfish and win-at-all-cost environment and celebrate those who are successful within those conditions. Then we scream and curse those that use the available means to achieve those things. What about the others? We find scapegoats to attack and devour for the characteristics that reflect our own......

User avatar
HammerTime2
Posts: 5430
Joined: Thu May 04, 2006 4:43 pm
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Armstrong took entirely the wrong tack in his interview with Oprah. Here's what he should have said.

Oprah: Did you take performance enhancing drugs and blood infusions for your 7 Tour de France victories and then lie about it and bully people who told the truth about you?

Lance: Was that wrong? Should I not have done that? I tell you, I gotta plead ignorance on this thing, because if anyone had said anything to me at all when I first started racing bicycles that that sort of thing is frowned upon... you know, cause I've raced in a lot of places, and I tell you, people do that all the time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RvNS7JfcMM

sawyer
Posts: 4484
Joined: Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:45 pm
Location: Natovi Landing

by sawyer

btompkins0112 wrote:What fortune isn't ill-gotten? We as a society create the greed, selfish and win-at-all-cost environment and celebrate those who are successful within those conditions. Then we scream and curse those that use the available means to achieve those things. What about the others? We find scapegoats to attack and devour for the characteristics that reflect our own......


Yeah I know, "it's all society's fault".

I've heard obese people use that justification too.
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

User avatar
stella-azzurra
Posts: 5072
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:35 am
Location: New York

by stella-azzurra

I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

wingguy
Posts: 3766
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:43 pm

by wingguy

Rick wrote:A young, successful athlete was "arrogant and narcissistic".....Boo frikken Hoo. When has that ever been a reason hate them ?!?!?
He "ruined peoples lives"....because he kicked people who were hostile to him off the team, etc ? Boo Hoo.


He had people who were unwilling to join him in illegal activity fired? Boo frikken Hoo.

He had them blacklisted from other jobs? Boo Hoo.

He destroyed the businesses of people who suspected the truth? Crybabies.

He fraudulently sued people who told the truth about him and perverted the legal system to steal millions of dollars from them? Cheese with that whine?

He had his associates conduct campaigns of threats and harrasment against accusers? Grow a thicker skin.

He slandered people who knew too much, calling them crazy, blackmailers and whores (not just an insult, actual allegations of prostitution)? Suck it up cupcake.


People need to get a grip - it's not like he ever called anyone fat!

bricky21
Posts: 1405
Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:28 pm

by bricky21

sawyer wrote:Yeah I know, "it's all society's fault".


It's no more societies fault that lance doped than it is Lance's fault that others such as Frankie Andreu doped.

Locked