How much does the bike matter?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

shoopdawoop

by shoopdawoop

Yea now I'm even more affraid to go get my vo2max tested :shock:

kulivontot

by kulivontot

There's definitely some truth to the VO2 numbers above, but don't forget VO2 is typically scaled per kg weight, so if youmscore 60ish now with a spare tire around your waist, your oxygen intake is probably not going to change all that much should you shed 10% body fat to boost your VO2. Now if you're already pretty well trained with 4% body fat and you score that low, you're probably screwed.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dynaserve

by dynaserve

Everything being equal between two riders - Same power, weight, diet, tactics, condition, position....

One rider is on the $500 bike and the other on a lighter / more aero bike:

1) The guy on the $500 would never get dropped.
2) The guy on the lighter / aero bike would always win the race.

KWalker

by KWalker

Its worth mentioning quite a few 2's tested in the 80's, but still can't win races.

I can't believe you're 58. I tested higher than that and I'm just a lowly normal dude. How long ago/was it out of season?

I have a friend that tested at 62 and is a 1. His FTP hasn't budged in years, but its pretty damn high. I would say that if you're like him, you're probably really good at doing everything you can correctly to not self sabotage, which is why the aforementioned 2's will never go pro despite having the genes to do so. One tested higher than a rider that is now on Sky and he gets dropped fairly regularly in races (and is a notorious overtrainer that will add on 2 hrs to a 4-5hr ride and not tell his coach).
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

shoopdawoop

by shoopdawoop

I think that the real difference between the bikes comes more from things like tires, wheels, saddle, stem, bars and stuff. The frame will contribute to the way the bike feels but not really how the bike preforms. However some nice tires and wheels can make a measurable difference. I think it also matters what discipline of riding you're talking about; a super bike can be the difference in a time trial but is going to help alot less in a road race.

ChristianB

by ChristianB

Quite silly and good fun: Danish Pro going from 6.8 kg track bike to 20 Kg citybike.

http://jyllands-posten.dk/sport/cykling/article4954958.ece

(Video in danish, but shortly said: 1000m standing start in 1:06 on track bike, 1:22 on citybike)

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

He lost a fraction of a second on the citybike by sitting up before the finish line.

mjduct

by mjduct

AllAboutTheEngine wrote:1.5 inches...wut?

Tinea Pedis wrote:And "1.5-2 inches" :lol:

I'm not kidding... I noticed it in the trainer, when of the saddle my heels were basically in the same place on the down stroke while the bottom bracket (Ultegra, english thread) was playing pendulum. Maybe the frame had an issue, it was all alunimum with really curved stays for comfort. I'll never know because I got rid of that bike pretty fast.

I know it's not a direct comparison on 2 roadbikes of different quality, but on the same 20 mile route I ride with some folks from work, on on my Cervelo R5 I can drop them after about 5 miles. On my steel singlespeed, they can hang on for about 12. On my Niner I drop them between 15 and 17 miles (I'll get attacked and spin out at about 25 mph, but I'll bring em back after they come off it). And on the Surly Puglsey sometimes I have trouble hanging on after about 15.

the Pugsley is also good for a workout on family rides. I highly reccomend getting one even if you live in Texas and wil never see snow like me =]

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

mjduct wrote:
AllAboutTheEngine wrote:1.5 inches...wut?

Tinea Pedis wrote:And "1.5-2 inches" :lol:

I'm not kidding...

Kasparz

by Kasparz

kulivontot wrote:There's definitely some truth to the VO2 numbers above, but don't forget VO2 is typically scaled per kg weight, so if youmscore 60ish now with a spare tire around your waist, your oxygen intake is probably not going to change all that much should you shed 10% body fat to boost your VO2. Now if you're already pretty well trained with 4% body fat and you score that low, you're probably screwed.

My VO2 max was ridiculously low when I returned to cycling. Within one year my VO2 max increased by 18, my weight by 3Kg(muscle mass) and I shed 5.5minutes from my time in national championships. Okay, half of that time is shed thanks to bike, but still. Of course guys living and training at altitude will have naturally high VO2 max levels. I live and train at sea levels , so probably not going to set any VO2 records :)