bike carriers

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderator: Moderator Team

kajdean
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:49 am

by kajdean

Can anyone suggest me a good one, needs to fit different cars and at least 2 bikes, looked around at a few different ones but dont really know which are worth buying or not :)

by Weenie


Dalai
Posts: 1491
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2004 10:54 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

by Dalai

To narrow down the options, how will you attach it to the car eg. Towball mount?

bikewithnoname
Posts: 999
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:29 pm
Location: UK

by bikewithnoname

Saris Bones is a good set up, have used mine on Porsche 911 , BMW 3 series and Fiat 500 with no problems
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

Pegoretti Responsorium, Parlee Z5i, Donhou Commuter, 1946 MacLeans Featherweight L'Eroica!, 2x MTB 'dales

yeagermeister
Posts: 169
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:55 pm
Location: New Jersey

by yeagermeister

If your using a trunk mount he Thule 9001 is the easiest I have used and you can lock everything up too.

mjduct
Posts: 662
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:19 pm

by mjduct

bikewithnoname wrote:Saris Bones is a good set up, have used mine on Porsche 911 , BMW 3 series and Fiat 500 with no problems



ditto, I've got the 3 bike model that goes on my Civic, and my Wifes Nissan Rogue (hatchbakced SUV)

nspace
Posts: 323
Joined: Fri May 21, 2010 3:08 am
Location: Milton, Canada

by nspace

Saris bones worked for me for a while but I don't think it is a great long term solution. Eventually those pads that rest on your car will leave all sorts of surface marks on your paint job. I spent a lot of time keeping the car clean before putting it on and no matter what I did after a year or two I had mark's that U couldn't buff out. If you do go this route, take care to really tight up the excess straps really well. The wind blowing them will also do a number on your car.

Getting into your trunk with these is also annoying, especially if the bikes are on it.

IMO the best solution is a good hitch mount rack. I've had a pretty good experience with a Kuat Sherpa. Hitch mount, fits both receiver sizes, tilts back for hatchback access, folds upright when not in use.

Image

kajdean
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:49 am

by kajdean

Thanks for the replys guys :)
Not sure if i shoud go for a rear mounted one or a roof rack type, got a volvo saloon at the mo but will be changing it for a saab estate sometime in the future when ive saved up a bit haha. Roof ones seem more secure but the rear mounts must be easier to use i should imagine. Just want one that is going to be secure enough on a motorway but have never used any racks before so am just after advice :)

bones
Posts: 414
Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:38 am

by bones

nspace wrote:Saris bones worked for me for a while but I don't think it is a great long term solution. Eventually those pads that rest on your car will leave all sorts of surface marks on your paint job. I spent a lot of time keeping the car clean before putting it on and no matter what I did after a year or two I had mark's that U couldn't buff out. If you do go this route, take care to really tight up the excess straps really well. The wind blowing them will also do a number on your car.

Getting into your trunk with these is also annoying, especially if the bikes are on it.

IMO the best solution is a good hitch mount rack. I've had a pretty good experience with a Kuat Sherpa. Hitch mount, fits both receiver sizes, tilts back for hatchback access, folds upright when not in use.

Image




How do you get a hitch mount on cars this small? I thought that hitch mounts were only on trucks and SUVs.

yeagermeister
Posts: 169
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:55 pm
Location: New Jersey

by yeagermeister

kajdean wrote:Thanks for the replys guys :)
Not sure if i shoud go for a rear mounted one or a roof rack type, got a volvo saloon at the mo but will be changing it for a saab estate sometime in the future when ive saved up a bit haha. Roof ones seem more secure but the rear mounts must be easier to use i should imagine. Just want one that is going to be secure enough on a motorway but have never used any racks before so am just after advice :)


Once a roof rack is set up it is the easiest to use, give your bike isn't 40 lbs. I use 4 Thule criterium 598's on my roof and it's extremely easy the bike goes up in 20 seconds. Also most roof racks are compatible with all cars, at most you would need to purchase a new fit kit or foot pack system with a new car but the pricey parts being the bike trays will always be compatible.

nspace
Posts: 323
Joined: Fri May 21, 2010 3:08 am
Location: Milton, Canada

by nspace

bones wrote:How do you get a hitch mount on cars this small? I thought that hitch mounts were only on trucks and SUVs.


I just went to the local hitch and trailer store (in my case, a store called Hitch City) and ordered a hitch that fit the bolt pattern on my car. Got the rear of the car up on jacks and installed it myself. Its basically 6 bolts that you fish through the frame that go through a plate on the hitch bar and bolt onto the frame of your car. There are hitches available for most cars out there. The hitch cost me about $140 CAD or so. Took 30 minutes to install.

Throwing the bike rack on when I need it is a simple 30 second job. Slide in the rack, and fit the locking pin through...and lock it.

gsgrossart
Posts: 52
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:25 pm
Location: USA: Indianapolis, IN & Clarksville, TN

by gsgrossart

I would recommend a hitch rack instead of a roof rack. Hitch rack is easier to load, better gas mileage, and won't get smashed up pulling into the garage (if you happen to forget about the rack and bikes on top of your car - I haven't done it myself, but have plenty of friends who have).

As for hitch racks, take a look at the 1up Quik Rack http://www.1upusa.com/quik-Rack.html I have had their racks (and bike trainers) for 10 years. They are definitely not cheap, but they are very finely made.

Two best features are (1) the ability to quickly add/remove trays depending on how many bikes you are taking if you have more bikes and (2) holds any type of bike (like my Zipp 2001 and mtn bike) because it holds them by the wheels.

If it had a swing away (instead of tilt), it might be perfect. I hope that helps.

mrfish
Posts: 1618
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:49 pm
Location: Near Horgen, Switzerland

by mrfish

For occasional use I put together a wood roof rack for my tandem. Basically 6 foot of of 2x2" wood, then screw on a saris trap front fork mount and use some trailer axle u-bolts to fix it to a GBP 50 rack. 1 coat of black paint ane people were asking where I bought it. So a full rack for GBP 65, rather than the GBP 200 for a Pendle rack plus another 150 for roof bars. Stability-wise tt does 120mph no probs. Mpg suffers somewhat, but it does feel good to overtake boy racers 4-up with luggage and 3 bikes on the top. :P

User avatar
Powerful Pete
Moderator
Posts: 4004
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2004 10:22 am
Location: Lima, Peru and occasionally in the Washington DC area.
Contact:

by Powerful Pete

Always been a roof rack guy. I have the cheapest Thule rack on a Toyota RAV4 (here in the US the car comes with the cross bars already installed). Relatively cheap, easy to use, no issues with the trunk (or someone bumping into my car - a nightmare scenario for us!).
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...pastatrails.blogspot.com
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

User avatar
stella-azzurra
Posts: 5072
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:35 am
Location: New York

by stella-azzurra

Just watch out for those low bridges :D
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

User avatar
thewatchtech
Posts: 48
Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:34 pm
Location: USA

by thewatchtech

Another +1 for a roof rack here. Thule's Sidearm carrier is the easiest rack design I've ever used. That said...if I were in your position of knowing I was going to switch cars in a few months, I would shell out a few bucks for a Saris bones trunk rack now - (they can be had for $50 used) and invest in a more serious setup - roof or hitch once you have the new car. In either case, you may have to make an investment in something specific to the car - hitch setup, fit kit for load bar feet, etc. I still have the old Bones and throw it on the back whenever I have to load up more than 3 bikes and/or one of the kids' boat anchors. Both roof and trunk racks will leave marks on the car if left on long term. That doesn't bother me - my philosophy has always been take the car, leave the bikes!

by Weenie


Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post