Open 29er

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

BmanX

by BmanX

I am very interested in seeing what these two guys come up with.

From BikeRumor

“This bike will be the lightest 29er hardtail on the market, but it passes all of the testing here in Germany. We didn’t understand why 29ers, and hardtails in general, had to be so heavy. We wanted to make one that competed on weight with the lightest 26″ model.”

“It was an advantage that we didn’t come from the mountain bike side. We could question everything that seemed logical. It’s still a double diamond design, but it’s in all the little details that makes it special.”

http://www.bikerumor.com/2012/04/13/vro ... o-founder/
Last edited by BmanX on Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mjduct

by mjduct

more info? you left out what 2 guys your talking about, links, pretty much everything that would make this thread something besides a waste of bandwidth...

Epic-o

by Epic-o

I would say 850gr at the most

andyindo

by andyindo

I hope these dudes get the geometry sorted out though, the early Cervelos in small were terrible.

BmanX

by BmanX

I am sure with all of their years in the industry that their new venture will be amazing and their attention to detail will be great.
BIG DADDY B FLOW

fat tire

by fat tire

Cervelo has the worst attention to detail I have ever seen on a high end bike. There was overspray all over on any of them I have built or looked at closely. Plus I have seen 4 break (bb, 2 at the fd rivets, 1 seat stay) personally.

andyindo

by andyindo

fat tire wrote:Cervelo has the worst attention to detail I have ever seen on a high end bike. There was overspray all over on any of them I have built or looked at closely. Plus I have seen 4 break (bb, 2 at the fd rivets, 1 seat stay) personally.

Exactly, I'd also steer clear for a while until I see some solid reports. Still, it'll be interesting to see what they come up with.

BmanX

by BmanX

I think Gerard at least has proven himself over the years and Cervelo has gotten a lot better then they were in the beginning.
BIG DADDY B FLOW

nspace

by nspace

http://www.bikerumor.com/2012/04/19/fir ... ed-ridden/

They added a new post with photos of the bike.

First thought is the proprietary BB thing really sucks. I'm sure lots of people here will like the blacked out stealth look. Weight seems nice. Whole in the seat tube seems unnecessary.

campbellrae

by campbellrae

So they are claiming 850-900g for the frames, that's pretty bloody light! As mentioned above, will be interesting to see how they hold up in the real world as I do like the look of them and my Scale is getting on a bit... Anyone got any ideas on who will be getting bikes to test and when the reviews will be out?

tonytourist

by tonytourist

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/frame ... 11481.html
Looks like CC is ready to take pre orders.

jooo

by jooo

Kinda cool but not that impressed I guess. I don't want to sound too negative because I like the look of it, the cabling is interesting etc, but it's not heaps lighter than a Scott which has been available for quite a while now and will probably weigh less by the time the next revamp happens. Not only that but anyone can buy a Chinese carbon 29er frame for not much over 10% of the cost with only a bit over a 10% weight penalty. I know it's a totally different issue but that gives you lots of pennies to save more weight elsewhere. Those just wanting the absolute lightest frame could get something custom which would weigh somewhere in the same vicinity. I just get the feeling I'm getting a we're better than everyone marketing story. But hey, I'm a grouch

OPENCYCLE wrote:This bike will be the lightest 29er hardtail on the market, but it passes all of the testing here in Germany. We didn’t understand why 29ers, and hardtails in general, had to be so heavy. We wanted to make one that competed on weight with the lightest 26″ model.”

“It was an advantage that we didn’t come from the mountain bike side. We could question everything that seemed logical. It’s still a double diamond design, but it’s in all the little details that makes it special.

OPENCYCLE wrote:Yes, our engineering background isn’t in mountain bikes, but good engineering is good engineering (not to mention that thanks to its bigger tires, a mountain bike sees lower impacts than a Paris-Roubaix-winning frame)

What a load of rubbish. People with light bikes don't always stick to 'smooth' world cup style trails. Try some decent drops or real rock gardens, not the almost ornamental stuff used in lots of XC races.

nspace wrote:First thought is the proprietary BB thing really sucks.

BB Right should work with 24mm spindle cranks so XTR and XX should fit fine. Some other external BB, 30mm spindle cranks may also work too. THM maybe? SISL would work with the 'external' spindle. So yeah, not much of a big deal, probably even less so than on the road bikes because you have more room to 'fudge' things with the wider chain line and Q factor.

OJ

by OJ

Looks cool...that's about where the appeal ends for me. OK...It's light as well.

Niner, Intense etc. offering nice high end carbon HT's at the moment at lower price, so it will be interesting how these guys will do.
http://demarere.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com