the pros on Lightweight list

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

dgasmd wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:08 am
spdntrxi wrote:ahh... Can I say the markerting was correct when a certain someone schools the field on a disc brake TT bike and descends like a bat out of hell again on a disc brake bike.. once again schooling the field... or is that not allowed :noidea:
Alaphilippe’s descending had all to do with skills and risk taking and very very little to do with disc brakes. Sure, they helped a tiny bit, but that was simply a display of skills!!!
I like how you ignored the TT bike bit :wink:
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I think the performance by Bernal et al was absolutely stellar this tour, and certainly riding the Lightweights is good marketing. And Lightweights make a fine climbing wheel for sure, I’d take them any day for a climb over the most aero of aero wheels. I’m heavy and gravity crushes aero at the speeds I climb. I’m not sure what speed I could sustain on a long 8% grade but I do know it’s not high enough to make me think aerodynamics even exist (of course it does but at my very non pro climbing speeds, it’s just a dream in this scenario). Carry my water bottle please Image.
But I do know from experience I would not ever want to be descending on Lightweights, and if there’s a hint of wind, forget it. Period. Been there done that. And the fact that sponsored pros can win on them doesn’t change my mind. They’re the best in the world, they could win on a lot of things. To each his own.
Now, of course they couldn’t use a Campagnolo product. Shimano would never allow that. Or probably any other current pro team sponsors product. So Lightweight is indeed an interesting choice. And it times so well with their ongoing and current financial troubles. This will definitely give a much needed boost to the potential selling price of Carbon Sports (makers of Lightweight). Will it be enough to persuade a buyer to step in and save the company. I don’t know. But who might the likely purchaser even be I wonder. Well... my guess is Pinarello/Most Components themselves. And guess who they are owned by... yes... luxury branding company Louis Vuitton. Now that’s a pairing just ripe for a marriage. High prices, perceived exclusivity of product, and now throw some bling wheels, high price tag, good or bad, doesn’t matter all that much... that’s what Louis Vuitton is all about. Whether they are the best from a pure performance aspect or not is not necessarily the most relevant thing in the world of luxury goods marketing, it’s the marketing of those luxury goods that counts. And price points are all part of that marketing. So my money says that Carbon Sports, within the next year, will either cease to exist as a Company, or will be bought up by the Louis Vuitton money machine. And having Ineos showcase the wheels is just the first step in that “Hail Mary” process to save the company. Look for an ownership change in the next year at the most. In the meantime...
Last edited by Calnago on Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

mendiz

by mendiz

I see you do not know Loro Piana, Kiton, or Cortigiani or Stefano Ricci. By the way Vuitton, not Vitton. Vuitton is bad taste clothes but are the owners of Loro Piana that are the most quality clothes.
If the rider does not know descend is not a problem of the wheel. You can ser Bernal before they stopped the stage by the rain.
You don´t stop riding when you get old, you get old when you stop riding.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Spelling mistake corrected, thank you. Extra special purse for you.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Berzin1

by Berzin1

There is also the possibility (however remote) that Carbonsports is purchased by an Asian company and their production is moved to China.

Thren there are the books to look into. Louis Vuitton could definitely step in, but not if Carbonsports is coming in as a loss leader in terms of profits. I don't see how that would help them, even if they change nothing about the wheels except for the retail price.

I'm not an expert on financial matters, but cycling seems to be catering to two diametrically opposed crowds. The riders (serious amatuers and pros) are from working class backgrounds, yet the equipment the pros use cater to people with disposable incomes. So would Carbonsports make more of a profit margin by selling less product at high prices, or by selling more product at less expensive prices?

Regardless, something has to change about their business model. What that is I have no idea, but I guess we'll find out soon.
Last edited by Berzin1 on Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

mendiz

by mendiz

The bag for you, Calnago, I prefer Cucinelli and Loro Piana clothes. Rui Costa in last World championship rode LW, he is in UAE with Colnago bikes and Campagnolo wheelset and group. You choose a wheelset of less quality, perfect, but do not repeat and lie in a forum 1000 times another product is bad whithout own the product.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

Shimano 9150 Di2 #1 and #2 they must be the best..

Last edited by spdntrxi on Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jugi

by Jugi

Thinking this through logically, hopefully no one riding either Lightweight Meilensteins or Shimano 9150s has finished in the grupetto on any of this year's TdF stages, as that would render both wheels mediocre at best.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Look, we all know, or should know, that at the level these guys are riding at, the product underneath them is for the most part secondary as they’re all so close. Seeing our beloved products underneath the winner is satisfying, and that’s what sponsorship is there for. Those wins translate to money at the cash register, whether you want to believe that or not.

@Berzin1: A company not doing well financially is exactly the kind of takeover target that you will get the best price on, from the purchasers perspective. Yes, I’m pretty well versed in financial matters having been on the selling side of a company and also involved in the analysis of purchasing smaller companies once having joined the huge company that purchased us. It’s still a negotiation, like any sales transaction... purchaser wants to pay as little as possible, seller wants as much as they can get. Propping up Lightweight (Carbon Sports) at The Tour like this serves both sides quite well I think. It will surely help the price that Carbon Sports can sell the business for, and it provides some hope to the purchasing company that they might be able to turn things around going forward. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. The acquisition of Time Sports by Rossignol doesn’t seem to be going so well. The acquisition of both ENVE and Mavic by Amer Sports hasn’t lived up to expectation either, and both companies were again up for sale. They managed to sell Mavic some months ago but still no takers for ENVE as far as I know. At the end of the day, the business aspect of our favorite companies cannot be ignored.

@Mendiz: are you related to @kgt?

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

Calnago wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:24 pm

@Mendiz: are you related to @kgt?
dont know... but might be a snappy dresser :noidea:

mendiz

by mendiz

I am registered in this forum from 2005. I promise not read and answer the Calnago posts any more. This thread is about pros in LW wheels. Not pro in Enve or Campagnolo wheels because never a cyclist choose Enve or Campagnolo if Enve or Campagnolo do not pay them. Riders in Worlds choose always LW, not another brand of wheels, enough said.
Last edited by mendiz on Thu May 07, 2020 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

miltmaster3

by miltmaster3

mendiz wrote:I am from Spain, I am registered in this forum from 2005. I promise not read and answer the Calnago posts any more. This thread is about pros in LW wheels. Not pro in Enve or Campagnolo wheels because never a cyclist choose Enve or Campagnolo if Enve or Campagnolo do not pay them. Riders in Worlds choose always LW, not another brand of wheels, enough said.
You spoke well my friend!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
πατα τραβα ρε

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Berzin1 wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:56 pm
So would Carbonsports make more of a profit margin by selling less product at high prices, or by selling more product at less expensive prices?

You almost always make more profit-margin by selling an premium product in low volume than the other way around. Volatility becomes an issue though. Selling to the masses tends to cap the highs and the lows.

snowdevlin

by snowdevlin

kgt wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:35 am
Lightweight Meilenstein:
aero? no
wide? no
new technology? no
no. 1 and no. 2 in Tour de France 2019? yes
end of story

marketing weenies can rest in peace

With this reasoning in mind, I expect you to say Pinarellos are the best bikes too : :lol: :lol: :lol:

kgt

by kgt

Some people in here cannot stand seeing their world collapsing and they make up conspiracy theories and fake news (like the story about the same person posting through multiple profiles).
Guys, please, take some rest and stay away from your computer screen for some days. It might help.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com