the pros on Lightweight list

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Grobar

by Grobar

I wonder why Ineos didn't use Lightweight wheels for their TTs ? Anybody knows ?

ome rodriguez

by ome rodriguez

Grobar wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:15 am
I wonder why Ineos didn't use Lightweight wheels for their TTs ? Anybody knows ?
If ineos really paid and they only got regular meilenstein and not obermayer. It will be very expensive for another set of 8 fernweg/‘autobahn disc wheels.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

ome rodriguez wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:02 am
Grobar wrote:
If ineos really paid and they only got regular meilenstein and not obermayer. It will be very expensive for another set of 8 fernweg/‘autobahn disc wheels.
I've used this combo... no doubt nicest looking combo on the planet.. but with the TTT and ITT course this year would give little to no advantage over anything shimano provides. Now if there was a longer ITT with more climbing maybe...but then it would almost be on the border of using a regular bike at that point as well.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Grobar wrote:
I would venture a guess that Ineos didn't go with Fernweg/Autobahn's because the PRO tri-spoke front wheel is more aero at the speeds they're racing at, and there wouldn't be a marginal gain by going with Lightweight, since weight isn't the primary factor in a TTT, aerodynamics is. With Ineos's budget, money is no object. They're going for the best-of-the-best in whatever they get (c'mon, they're custom 3D printing Ti bars for their riders!).

mendiz

by mendiz

Several pics, Bernal and Thomas this Tour 2019 with Lightweight Meilenstein tubular 24E· 20/20 spokes, Richie Porte this Tour 2019 with Autobahn with stickers Bontrager.
Mitchelton Scott in Tour 2019 Time team trial with Autobahn.
Kwiato training the day before Worlds 2018 with LW Meilenstein 16/20 spokes 24E
You don´t stop riding when you get old, you get old when you stop riding.

ome rodriguez

by ome rodriguez

FIJIGabe wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:31 pm
With Ineos's budget, money is no object. They're going for the best-of-the-best in whatever they get (c'mon, they're custom 3D printing Ti bars for their riders!).
If money was no object, ineos should have gotten obermayers than just regular meilensteins.

mendiz

by mendiz

They chose 20 spokes front wheel when they could choose 16 or 20 spokes front, the most stiff wheel. Obermayer is less stiff than Meilenstein.
ome rodriguez wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:07 am
FIJIGabe wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:31 pm
With Ineos's budget, money is no object. They're going for the best-of-the-best in whatever they get (c'mon, they're custom 3D printing Ti bars for their riders!).
If money was no object, ineos should have gotten obermayers than just regular meilensteins.

benzebub

by benzebub

mendiz wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:16 pm
I am from Spain, I am registered in this forum from 2005. I promise not read and answer the Calnago posts any more. This thread is about pros in LW wheels. Not pro in Enve or Campagnolo wheels because never a cyclist choose Enve or Campagnolo if Enve or Campagnolo do not pay them. Riders in Worlds choose always LW, not another brand of wheels, enough said.
2018: Valverde - Campagnolo
2017: Sagan - Roval
2016: Sagan - Roval
2015: Sagan - Roval
2014: Kwiatkowski - Zipp
2013: Rui Costa - Campagnolo
2012: Gilbert - Easton
2011: Cavendish - Shimano
2010: Hushovd - Zipp
2009: Evans - Mavic

Yes... I see your point..
But I could be wrong

Jugi

by Jugi

I don't think that was mendiz's point. He was trying to imply that if a pro cyclist chooses a wheelset (as in rides something else than what his employers offer) for the WC race, it is usually Lightweight.

mendiz

by mendiz

Exactly, @benzebub did not understand the post. He wrote the winners of Worlds. I have wrote that when a pro cyclist in World championship , the only day in the pro cycling they can choose, they always choose Lightweight. Examples: Kwiato, Rui Costa and Moscon last year.

1415chris

by 1415chris

Are Obermayer even made in wider 24 version?

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

benzebub wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:50 pm
mendiz wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:16 pm
I am from Spain, I am registered in this forum from 2005. I promise not read and answer the Calnago posts any more. This thread is about pros in LW wheels. Not pro in Enve or Campagnolo wheels because never a cyclist choose Enve or Campagnolo if Enve or Campagnolo do not pay them. Riders in Worlds choose always LW, not another brand of wheels, enough said.
2018: Valverde - Campagnolo
2017: Sagan - Roval
2016: Sagan - Roval
2015: Sagan - Roval
2014: Kwiatkowski - Zipp
2013: Rui Costa - Campagnolo
2012: Gilbert - Easton
2011: Cavendish - Shimano
2010: Hushovd - Zipp
2009: Evans - Mavic

Yes... I see your point..
I think he understood the point exactly... the point is winning.

Hell if Skineos didn't win the Tdf you wouldn't be grandbandstanding... I'm happy Ineos used their wheels, won the TdF and all that. I hope the company finds new capital and keeps going.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

bespoke

by bespoke

Great thread; and its like the Ulrich and Armstrong era again!
Lots of mention here about CarbonSports being in financial trouble; can someone please give more details?
Warning - Inherently biased:
www.bespokecycling.com

benzebub

by benzebub

mendiz wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:31 pm
Exactly, @benzebub did not understand the post. He wrote the winners of Worlds. I have wrote that when a pro cyclist in World championship , the only day in the pro cycling they can choose, they always choose Lightweight. Examples: Kwiato, Rui Costa and Moscon last year.
I understand your post, I was just wondering why Kwiato and Costa, like you said, didn't choose Lightweight the year they won the world championship?

Surely they were available then, and must have been as superior then as they are now :noidea:
But I could be wrong

mendiz

by mendiz

I do not know, do you know why they chose LW after they won in Zipp and Campagnolo?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com