What's everyones thoughts on using deep rims for racing?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

2002SaecoReplica

by 2002SaecoReplica

Dis wrote:I am going to be doing my 1st crit soon and am now concerned based on the several comments in this thread about wheels getting trashed. I have one set of wheels (50MM Carbon) and can not afford to replace them if something bad does happen what ever that might be. I am currently unemployed and this would put an end to my ridding if that did happen. I don't really know what to expect from racing so how likely is it that I am going to have my bike or wheels trashed doing this?

Here's the plan. The race official lines everyone up(you're in the front row right?), race official says, "riders ready? Go!", you put your head down and take off, ride off the front of the group and solo for the win.

Any possibility of crashing mostly likely avoided. Sounds like winning to me...
- Zipp rims will break if you look at them too hard
- R-Sys wheels will spontaneously explode
- The ZG crankset will never, ever exist
- Everyone needs Lightweights, even if they're fat and old
- Parts actually made of metal are SO 10 years ago

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Dis, race what you can afford to replace.

Simples.

Also if it,s your first crit, you're going to gain a whole heap more from learning how to handle yourself in a bunch and going with the right move than you will from running 50mm rims. So I would leave them off.

Otherwise, do like Saeco said :lol:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com