Carbon Brake Track Comments?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderator: Moderator Team

theredmiata

by theredmiata

I've been riding on some Edge 1.38 clinchers for about 3 years, these have been my everyday wheels. No racing and no crashes but I've ridden these wheels thru all types of roads (smooth to dirt/reconstruction) and thru all weather types (sun to rain) and all types of rides (flats to mountains - Santa Monicas, GMR, Palomar). I started off with SwissStop for a year but then moved off to ZIPPs cork tangente pad. I've recently looked at the brake track and notice some scarring is the best way I can described and was wondering for those with carbon wheels what do your brake tracks look like.

Ian in SD

CerveloBert

by CerveloBert

Looks like a worn down surface. Is there a noticeable "ledge" when going between the damaged and undamaged surface? Is there any cracking along the the damaged areas?

Juanmoretime
Administrator

by Juanmoretime

Yes they wear. Nothing lasts forever including aluminum rims. How many km or miles do you have on them? Between braking and wet rides where you can pick up grit on your pads I would say its normal wear and tear.
RESIDENT GRUMPY OLD MAN.