2024 Pro thread

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Lina

by Lina

tymon_tm wrote:
Sun May 19, 2024 4:08 pm
there are no free wins at this level, however with today's stage in mind I suppose Pog might've done 99% instead of his usual 100%.

and today - what a stage. i dont know if it tops Alaphilippe's epic breakaway win, but that was just huge.

despite this place being awfully quiet last two weeks, this Giro provides big time.
One of the better GTs in recent times, even when it's been a bit quiet here and everyone has known the winner before it even started.

de zwarten

by de zwarten

Maybe one of the better Giros in recent times, and frankly, the last couple of years the Giro has gone from bad to even worse.
The last couple of Vueltas and especially Tours have been much, much better imho.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Karvalo

by Karvalo

Any particular reasons? Last year had a couple of damp squib stages but was a cliffhanger GC fight. Bernal's was good apart from not being able to watch the most important stage. Tao and Jai's fight was also epic, if lacking a bit of star power.

Though it seems today that Pogacar is so desperate for a true contest that he has taken to challenging the elements themselves, taking on the final climb/descent/climb in a normal shortsleeve jersey. Given that bronchitis may be one of the few things that could stop him for the rest of the season it feels like an unnecessary risk! :unbelievable:

BenSiskri

by BenSiskri

UCI know when to bury bad news; whilst the Giro is on

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/vlad-dasc ... ation.html
Trek Crockett 4
Giant TCR Advanced 3

ave

by ave

Can anybody remember any rider in the past just riding away from everybody else without any visible effort? He was just cruising today, and still could not avoid another win.
This Giro is probably less hard for him than his normal training regime. Okay, volume is bigger.

maquisard

by maquisard

It has the feeling of Basso in the 2006 Giro.

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

OK but lets take a look at his opponents, shall we? because he isn't ridnig away from Vin, Rog or Remco is he?

and yes, yesterday's win was almost forced on him. I mean - if there's no one to challenge you (for the stage win not the GC) and your team's driving a strong pace already, then what can you do? I'm appaled neither Bora nore Ineos (nore any team with a top ten rider for that matter) tried anything against each other.

BTW I though it was just a heartwarming scene. not just a 'people's champ' but a riders' champ as well

https://x.com/TimBonvilleGinn/status/17 ... ro-ditalia
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

maquisard wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 1:04 am
It has the feeling of Basso in the 2006 Giro.
wasn't Basso having similarly weak competition that year?

(i know i watched it, just can't remember that much...)
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

tymon_tm wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 11:40 am
OK but lets take a look at his opponents, shall we? because he isn't ridnig away from Vin, Rog or Remco is he?
Thomas put up a very good fight against Roglic last year and look at him now. Though it's obvs impossible to judge what relative form.

What's really crazy to think is that last year Vin did to him in the 2nd half of the Tour exactly what he's doing to these guys now.

DanW

by DanW

I'm sure I read somewhere that Pog is putting out some all time high power numbers at altitude, which also includes backing off the second half of the last climb.... so it looks like he does have more to give.

My armchair view on this is it is more his incredible form rather than being so so with really poor competition. But that is pure speculation.

I did also like the moment when the commentators were discussing what Movistars tactics could possibly have been, along the lines of; "we look forward to hearing from the Movistar DS in a few minutes to hear what their plans were today"... when someone in the background chipped in "I bet he has no clue either" or word to that extent :D The team that keeps on giving

ome rodriguez

by ome rodriguez

Karvalo wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 12:53 pm
tymon_tm wrote:
Thomas put up a very good fight against Roglic last year and look at him now. Though it's obvs impossible to judge what relative form.

What's really crazy to think is that last year Vin did to him in the 2nd half of the Tour exactly what he's doing to these guys now.
Let's see if Vin can do it to Pog again this coming Tour.

CustomMetal

by CustomMetal

ome rodriguez wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 3:15 pm
Karvalo wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 12:53 pm
tymon_tm wrote:

Let's see if Vin can do it to Pog again this coming Tour.
I really hope not. I want Pog to do the triple this year as don't think we will see it again for another decade or so
Allegra- Steel Lugs TBC
Alya- Ti Climbing TBC
Bertha- TT 9.8kg
Matilda - Ti/Carbon Race TBC
Perdita- Ti Turbo bike 8kg
Serenity- Ti Gravel 9.5kg/8.9kg
Verity- Ti Aero 8.2kg

All weights with pedals,cages & garmin mount

pastronef

by pastronef

BenSiskri wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 9:12 pm

do you think Vlad Dascalu's 3 missed whereabouts would have had deeper coverage and clicks next week after the Giro? mmmm

Karvalo

by Karvalo

CustomMetal wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 8:03 pm
I really hope not. I want Pog to do the triple this year as don't think we will see it again for another decade or so
Decade? That's hugely optimistic. It's been closer to four decades since Roche last did the triple crown.

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

pastronef wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 8:40 pm
BenSiskri wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 9:12 pm

do you think Vlad Dascalu's 3 missed whereabouts would have had deeper coverage and clicks next week after the Giro? mmmm
Pinkbike readers think Giro is a helmet and street food.
It's hilarious to see the reaction there vs here to this news. As usual, I'm more on the PBer side of the fence.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com