2024 Pro thread

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

axel wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:20 pm
Senechal mentionning in an itw he had to change 4 times bike during the race, mentionning at least 2 "lose handlebars" (not very clear what he meant - i understand it as broken fork/steerer).
He blames publicly bianchi for that.

Bianchi and Arkea-Samsic have confirmed the mechanics f--ked up and didn't follow instructions for the non-integrated cockpits. It looks like the stem faceplate is one where the top pair of bolts needs to be torqued fully before the bottom bolts. I bet they torqued them all at the same time in a typical cross-pattern.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

axel

by axel

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:10 am

Bianchi and Arkea-Samsic have confirmed the mechanics f--ked up and didn't follow instructions for the non-integrated cockpits. It looks like the stem faceplate is one where the top pair of bolts needs to be torqued fully before the bottom bolts. I bet they torqued them all at the same time in a typical cross-pattern.
I am always amazed by how unprofessionnal can a pro team mechanic be

eins4eins

by eins4eins

axel wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 7:09 am
TobinHatesYou wrote:

its because many aren't professionals, even on WT level. Especially at smaller teams, its a shit job and its difficult to find qualified personal willing to do it.

BenSiskri

by BenSiskri

axel wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 7:09 am
TobinHatesYou wrote:

Aren't a lot, particularly on French/Belgian teams, rather 'old school'/ traditional? So it doesn't really surprise me......
Trek Crockett 4
Giant TCR Advanced 3

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

on the other hand, aren't they constanly working with the newest stuff, and being provided info and guidance directly from producers? I bet they have a direct line to tech department your lbs would kill for

so dude made a simple, silly mistake. it happens. shouldn't, but when someone starts drawing conclusions about "all pro mechanics" based on a single accident, is when it gets even more stupid.
Last edited by tymon_tm on Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

maquisard

by maquisard

Nowadays bike technology is constantly changing, requiring mechanics to spend time reading manufacturer guidelines, liasing with companies and keeping on top of best practices when assembling and maintaining bikes. This requires a certain attitude that isn't found in older mechanics who have been in the business a long time and think they know best.

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

I'd love Calnago to visit us, if only for a moment, to tell you about "older poeple's" attitude and incentive to learn new tech :roll:

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

Alaphilippe just admitted he was racing with a fractured knee all that time.. what shall we make of it? is he seeking excuses wary of Lefevere's' disapproval of his form? is he bullied to the point he's racing with an injury?

something's very not right with JA; he used to dance on his bike, being always 100% in the game. now he's like that kid told to do something he'd rather not do at all.

Lina

by Lina

tymon_tm wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:29 am
on the other hand, aren't they constanly working with the newest stuff, and being provided info and guidance directly from producers? I bet they have a direct line to tech department your lbs would kill for

so dude made a simple, silly mistake. it happens. shouldn't, but when someone starts drawing conclusions about "all pro mechanics" based on a single accident, is when it gets even more stupid.
But do the overworked and underpaid mechanics have the time to ask for help? Or do they care about learning new things instead of just doing everything like they've done before?

BenSiskri

by BenSiskri

MTB World Cup starts later this evening, with the U23 XCC......Mairipora, Brazil.
Elite XCC tomorrow, followed by the XCO on Sunday; PFP, Pieterse & Mitterwallner all missing, and no Pidcock in the men's.

Course preview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5RuSI05j20
Trek Crockett 4
Giant TCR Advanced 3

Miller

by Miller

tymon_tm wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:44 am
I'd love Calnago to visit us, if only for a moment, to tell you about "older poeple's" attitude and incentive to learn new tech :roll:
Calnago was great but you couldn't say he was a lover of new tech; he did a fair bit of complaining about the MTBisation of road bikes. Which has only continued, of course.

spokenwords

by spokenwords

I had a mechanic that worked for me back in the 90's. He was decent as a mechanic but, just decent. He was bilingual though and ultimately became a WT mech within a few years of leaving town. Good language skills and decent with a wrench was all it took.
Being a WT mech is a passion job, where many think they know it all, and any thought otherwise is an affront to their ego. Seems like a rough life too.
You know, even a fast food worker gets the burger wrong sometimes.
As for the technology changes and adaptations that take place, its been like that for a very long time. Part of the job.
"Notice how the door closes when the chimes of freedom ring." Joe Strummer
"this goes to 11" Nigel Tufnel
Dont move to Austin
Major Taylor rules.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

tymon_tm wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:53 am
Alaphilippe just admitted he was racing with a fractured knee all that time.. what shall we make of it? is he seeking excuses wary of Lefevere's' disapproval of his form? is he bullied to the point he's racing with an injury?

something's very not right with JA; he used to dance on his bike, being always 100% in the game. now he's like that kid told to do something he'd rather not do at all.
I think he's just had one crash too many and is physically *f##k*. There is very much a JA before Liege '22 and a JA after Liege '22.

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

given how burned out he appears I was sort of amazed to find out he's only 2 years older than MVDP... I really hope he finds a new team, and a solid one for that matter.

spokenwords

by spokenwords

Its always nice to see a wily veteran come through with a wily veteran win. Vos with the big win.
"Notice how the door closes when the chimes of freedom ring." Joe Strummer
"this goes to 11" Nigel Tufnel
Dont move to Austin
Major Taylor rules.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com