2024 Pro thread

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

tymon_tm wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:04 pm
Karvalo wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 5:56 pm
Where is the UCI ban-hammer when you need it? :lol:
I'm sure they're sitting at the table as we speak, planning to enforce a ban over those hideous scarfs! just imagine what could happen if a rider wearing one crashed and it got sucked in drivetrain or a spinning wheel - it's a sure decapitation! :lol:
and they have a win with one alreaady
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ave

by ave

I can't believe this can function as a crash helmet.. Just terrible.

Ronin416

by Ronin416

Karvalo wrote:Where is the UCI ban-hammer when you need it? :lol:
Right! I’d like to see the measurement device the UCI comes out with so it confirms to new rules.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

The logical extension is to extend the helmet down over the rider.
Everything old is new again:

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

ave wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 7:41 pm
I can't believe this can function as a crash helmet.. Just terrible.

Preventing serious injury is all about extending the time component of the impact. The more crumple zone the better. As well I find it unlikely that the size of the helmet will increase the risk of a neck injury in a crash. This is low-density EPS foam we’re talking about. It is unlikely to “grab” and “hold” in a collision rather than just deform/shear/abrade.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

I'd be leary of the potential for more leverage on the neck in a twisting action. Even though it could seriously deliver a speed dividend, that shape wouldn't even be considered for any of the speed events in alpline skiing - downhill, super G - events often won by a few hundreths of a second or less. But very different types of crashes. Going rag doll at 100km/h with that blob attached to your head would be very bad.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEGIyL_WoBk
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

Lina

by Lina

UpFromOne wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:57 am
The logical extension is to extend the helmet down over the rider.
Everything old is new again:
I know you're jesting but this is already against the UCI rules.

glepore

by glepore

Mr.Gib wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:02 am
I'd be leary of the potential for more leverage on the neck in a twisting action. Even though it could seriously deliver a speed dividend, that shape wouldn't even be considered for any of the speed events in alpline skiing - downhill, super G - events often won by a few hundreths of a second or less. But very different types of crashes. Going rag doll at 100km/h with that blob attached to your head would be very bad.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEGIyL_WoBk
My first thought when I saw the abomination.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

Karvalo

by Karvalo

Lina wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:11 am
I know you're jesting but this is already against the UCI rules.
But in all seriousness, in the riding position the way it appears to divert all the airflow away from the arm/chest gap looks like an extremely effective fairing type thing. If it's as effective as it looks then other teams/suppliers might not have any choice but to copy unless it's banned.

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

The traditionalists at the UCI are already drafting the oversize helmet ban.

Lina

by Lina

UCI banning Specialized headsock and launching an investigation at these TT helmets https://www.uci.org/pressrelease/the-uc ... ES1DPdk3db

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

UpFromOne wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 6:57 pm
The traditionalists at the UCI are already drafting the oversize helmet ban.
It looks like that, after almost two years since its introduction, the UCI has banned the Specialized head sock that riders have been wearing with its aero helmet. And they're looking to do the same with the new Giro helmet. And how long has the POC darth vader helmet been used? If they go for the Giro, that POC must be in their sights too.

I wonder how they're going to quantify which helmets are ok and which aren't? There's a whole lot of grey area there to try and codify into something hard and objective. At least with the lever tilt they could specify a given angle and come up with a jig to measure compliance.

This one's going to be a little tougher I think.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

My working assumption would be that like with the frame 'boxes' there will be a certain distance from the surface of the rider's head they'll be able to use. A helmet hemisphere instead of a frame box. Or just hard physical limits - it can't be more than Xcm long or Ycm wide. The only thing that would complicate things is if they want to keep leeway for aero design development. If they don't care about that then it doesn't seem very difficult at all.

Given the language in the press release they might be looking to set a more conservative limit that a lot of current helmets will fall foul of, not just this one.

CarlosFerreiro

by CarlosFerreiro

Yes, there is already a maximum size "box" rule for helmets, so they may have a fine line to navigate between stopping what they don't want and not stopping a whole lot of other existing helmets too.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

And yet none of this will prevent actions like Adam Yates using a size L Kask Mistral where the fit system can’t even cinch down enough on his tiny head.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com