2024 Pro thread

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

maquisard

by maquisard

Lina wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:43 am
And I'm not sure homewrecking Rousse has much legs to stand on in the class department.
I don't understand the back story here - please explain?

Philippe Gilbert's wife has also spoken out against Rousse.

https://cyclinguptodate.com/cycling/the ... ion-rousse#

Very messy to have this discussion in the medias.

Lina

by Lina

maquisard wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:50 am
Lina wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:43 am
And I'm not sure homewrecking Rousse has much legs to stand on in the class department.
I don't understand the back story here - please explain?

Philippe Gilbert's wife has also spoken out against Rousse.

https://cyclinguptodate.com/cycling/the ... ion-rousse#

Very messy to have this discussion in the medias.
She was married to Tony Gallopin and was already publicly in a relationship with Alaphilippe two months after having announced that she's separated with Gallopin. And there were some rumours that they were together even before it became official. I agree that it's messy but everyone knows this is what happens with Lefevre. And the worst thing you can do is add fuel to the fire.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

Mr.Gib wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 2:48 am
tymon_tm wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:18 pm
https://www.bikeradar.com/features/long ... rtswashing

"Given the lack of criticism and the reliance of professional cycling teams on sponsors for funding, relationships between the sport and states with questionable human rights records are likely to deepen."
They may spend their money, but I seriously doubt the practice will do anything to redeem human rights violations. Perhaps the simple minded or ignorant will distracted by some sports sponsorship, but those are not the constituents that matter in a geopolitical context. What is potentially more problematic is that once entrenched in a sport, would a dictator of a sponsoring country have the ability to corrupt the sport? Perhaps a few are going to forget that they treat 50% of their population like property, but a more realistic concern might be whether they will be able to influence the sport in a negative direction?

I can’t articulate the full relevance of the analogy, but Russia’s conduct in international competition, particularly the Olympics, is an example of what can happen when dictators get involved in international competition. How many scientists and sports officials did Putin have killed to cover up the Olympic doping scandal? Quite a few. Would a journalist who uncovers a scandal in a dictatorship sponsored pro team fear the dictator will have them killed to keep things quiet?

The question then becomes would you rather the money not be spent by these countries on cycling? If you are a bike racer or run a pro team, I think I know the answer. Everybody else? :noidea:
abundance of money always corrupts, there's no way around it. sheiks don't aim at sponsorship just to throw a race or two; if other sports may be any indicator, they aim at more control. for isntance WC races at ther soil, maybe more teams, perhaps tv coverage at one point - and with all that more and more seats at the table. it won't happen overnight but cycling's still relatively "cheap to buy" especially for thoe who have almost no financial (and moral) boundaries.

and once the capital gets it's hands onto something, the only further goal is to maximize profit; in this case both financial and marketing so to speak. i bet for a coutry that kills people over their sexuality it's a peachy situatiuon having all these colorful athletes from these 'progressive countries' smiling on a podium, no? having a major sporting event means so much more than any law or rule they might need to change in order to get any flattering from the media. there's a reason sport, since the dawn of humanity, has been an intsrument of power. in many ways that has shifted since creation of modern olympic culture, but epsecially today, when big money is concerned, it turns out ideas are cheap to buy.

I for one try to care who does what. and i;m deeply saddened we've given in to the zeros on a chęck, without as much a doubt over what that means not just for us, but more importanly - how much more power it gives to those who write the check.
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

MichaelK

by MichaelK

Are we trying our hardest to emulate football? Splinter leagues. Bosses getting those digs and soundbites in. WAGs going full keyboard warrior on Twitter. SMH.

The weekend can't come soon enough. Let's talk some racing shall we? What are people's picks for OHN and KBK?

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

MichaelK wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:51 pm
The weekend can't come soon enough. Let's talk some racing shall we? What are people's picks for OHN and KBK?
WALT van Aert! :P
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

MichaelK

by MichaelK

What's "Walt's" schedule looking like? I get the feeling he'll be looking to peak much later this season. Could be good for some outside shots at some early season Monuments.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

Lina wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:20 pm
She was married to Tony Gallopin and was already publicly in a relationship with Alaphilippe two months after having announced that she's separated with Gallopin.
That's not what a homewrecker is. That insult would apply if she'd had an affair with Alaphilippe and broken up his marriage, not her own.

And quite frankly, is this 2024 or 1954? Couples break up all the time, and it doesn't automatically make either of them bad people. A relationship can be dead for any number of reasons long before its demise is made public.

TwiggyTN

by TwiggyTN

Lefevre is a clown in the media, but is what he said factual? None of us really know, but what we do all know is Loulou's form has been down as of late. Is he just getting old, or is it something else? If Loulou wants to shut everyone up, winning a monument would do the trick.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Karvalo

by Karvalo

TwiggyTN wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 5:09 am
Lefevre is a clown in the media, but is what he said factual? None of us really know, but what we do all know is Loulou's form has been down as of late. Is he just getting old, or is it something else?
Crashes, injuries, more crashes and more injuries was my assumption. He hasn't really come back to form since being airlifted from that ditch in LBL '22.

Aress

by Aress

It no secret that he parties a lot,

he always has, but now (like sagan) he can't afford it

LOWIEV

by LOWIEV

it is rumoured he was spotted at a night out DURING the TDF.
That might be why Patlef is so frustrated with him.

stoney

by stoney

Aress wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:34 am
It no secret that he parties a lot,

he always has, but now (like sagan) he can't afford it
If he does party/drink a lot, it will certainly could affect the size of his next contract. He'll need to go to Total Energy or Israel team because they don't seem to mind paying big money for washed up athletes (Sagan/Froome).

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

it's so much more than just bashing his rider - he's literally saying his wife has a bad influence on him. that's few bridges to far, if i were Alpha i'd resort to violence lol

Lefevere is starting to lose it completetly with age. he's just one step from shouting at clouds.
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

LOWIEV

by LOWIEV

tymon_tm wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:02 pm
it's so much more than just bashing his rider - he's literally saying his wife has a bad influence on him. that's few bridges to far, if i were Alpha i'd resort to violence lol

Lefevere is starting to lose it completetly with age. he's just one step from shouting at clouds.
To be fair, he's not literally saying that. He said: "Julian ligt onder de sloef". That means: Julian has nothing to say at home, his wife is the boss. That's what he said.

And Patlef has always been like this, from his early ages (remember Boonen, VDB, Musseeuw,...).
I'm not saying it's ok what Patlef said, but it's what he does and did for ages...

bmrk

by bmrk

Sagan undergoes heart surgery

https://www.globalcyclingnetwork.com/ra ... -procedure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com