2022 PRO Thread

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

ave

by ave

Attermann wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 8:14 am
Why do everyone keep letting her ride off like that? Not a single one tried getting on her wheel.
It was terrible to watch. At least the sole U23 rider should have chased. Or one of the italians. This was terrible to watch.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Stendhal

by Stendhal

Now Van Vleuten has been fined for wearing illegal socks (too high). Good grief.
Orbea Orca OMX (7.17 kg), Chapter2 Rere Tauhou (7.53)
Retired: S-Works SL6, LOW mki, Dogma F10\F8, Lapierre Pulsium, TIME Fluidity, Wilier Cento1, Ridley Noah, Cyfac Cadence, Cervelo S2\R3\Aspero\R5, Felt Z25, Klein Quantum, Cannondale 2.0

ave

by ave

Is this rule hard to compy with? Why on earth do these fines happen? It's a rule, so take a f***** shorter shock, dear riders.

rainerhq

by rainerhq

Maybe somebody told her that she will save 2w.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride"

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

Stendhal wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 5:13 pm
Now Van Vleuten has been fined for wearing illegal socks (too high). Good grief.
I heard there was some other wardrobe infringement such that she finished with a jersey on over her skinsuit. Any idea what that was about?

MichaelK

by MichaelK

BdaGhisallo wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 6:42 pm
Stendhal wrote:
I heard there was some other wardrobe infringement such that she finished with a jersey on over her skinsuit. Any idea what that was about?
Her skinsuit did have the same colours/design as her team mates so they made her put a jersey on over the top mid-race. Also fined 500 CHF for that on top of the 200 CHF for the socks.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

MichaelK wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 6:55 pm
BdaGhisallo wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 6:42 pm
Stendhal wrote:
Her skinsuit did have the same colours/design as her team mates so they made her put a jersey on over the top mid-race. Also fined 500 CHF for that on top of the 200 CHF for the socks.

I wonder how that might have happened. I would have thought the Dutch federation would have supplied identical kits - unless she had her own supplier make hers for one reason or another.

blaugrana

by blaugrana

ave wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 5:28 pm
Is this rule hard to compy with? Why on earth do these fines happen? It's a rule, so take a f***** shorter shock, dear riders.
Exactly, it's very easy to follow this rule, a lot more than setting up and or checking a UCI legal TT position, for example. These riders sometimes go to the wind tunnel to tweak small details, and the teams are also paying more attention to these small aero advantages. They break the rule because they know it's faster, it's quite simple and they know exactly what they are doing. Which is why it should be penalized, and it would be over pretty quickly.

It makes me think of that year when Evenepoel pulled up his socks in the WC TT just after the start, after the comissaires had measured them and told him to pull them down to the legal height. If he could basically just laugh at the comissaires without being instantly disqualified, that sent a message that others could probably get away with it too.

OnTheRivet

by OnTheRivet

Attermann wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 8:14 am
Why do everyone keep letting her ride off like that? Not a single one tried getting on her wheel.
Hate to say it but that was some of the most negative racing I've seen in a long time. Kopecky had everyones number in a bunch finish, letting AVV go shows how much race craft she is still missing, heck even the italians, what was that?

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

blaugrana wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:16 pm
ave wrote:
Exactly, it's very easy to follow this rule, a lot more than setting up and or checking a UCI legal TT position, for example. These riders sometimes go to the wind tunnel to tweak small details, and the teams are also paying more attention to these small aero advantages. They break the rule because they know it's faster, it's quite simple and they know exactly what they are doing. Which is why it should be penalized, and it would be over pretty quickly.

It makes me think of that year when Evenepoel pulled up his socks in the WC TT just after the start, after the comissaires had measured them and told him to pull them down to the legal height. If he could basically just laugh at the comissaires without being instantly disqualified, that sent a message that others could probably get away with it too.
What would the UCI do if someone turned up with leg warmers made of the same material that these aero socks are? They couldn't stop that - leg warmers are fully legal. Or knee warmers that come down to a centimeter above the top of the aero sock.

I had expected that someone might have challenged the rule in this manner before now, but I'm still waiting.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

I joked on another forum that I was going to patent Aeroderm colloidal dressings and sell it to 3M. The UCI could arbitrarily rule against it but it illustrates the ridiculousness of the sock rule.

Stendhal

by Stendhal

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:40 pm
I joked on another forum that I was going to patent Aeroderm colloidal dressings and sell it to 3M. The UCI could arbitrarily rule against it but it illustrates the ridiculousness of the sock rule.
Ah, that was you! I bet you noticed then that one poster opined that while the rule was silly, VV should have been DQed.
Orbea Orca OMX (7.17 kg), Chapter2 Rere Tauhou (7.53)
Retired: S-Works SL6, LOW mki, Dogma F10\F8, Lapierre Pulsium, TIME Fluidity, Wilier Cento1, Ridley Noah, Cyfac Cadence, Cervelo S2\R3\Aspero\R5, Felt Z25, Klein Quantum, Cannondale 2.0

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

*f##k* the rules. AvV won because she was willing to take a risk.

jever98

by jever98

Mr.Gib wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 4:43 pm

Was online this morning shopping for a big AVV poster. That will be the backdrop. I'll need some of her team memorabilia. A lot of art on the walls in our home, I will have to clear a space. The only spot no taken is above the headboard of our bed, but that might be a hard sell. :D
Pictures please, or it didn't happen 🤣
----
No longer in the industry

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

blaugrana

by blaugrana

BdaGhisallo wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:31 pm
blaugrana wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:16 pm
ave wrote:

What would the UCI do if someone turned up with leg warmers made of the same material that these aero socks are? They couldn't stop that - leg warmers are fully legal. Or knee warmers that come down to a centimeter above the top of the aero sock.

I had expected that someone might have challenged the rule in this manner before now, but I'm still waiting.
They probably wouldn't do anything about it, but I think that unless it's a bit cold, the discomfort and overheating from covering the knees might make it less worthwile. So this would probably sort itself out, just most riders aren't using long sleeve skinsuits or shoe covers on road races.

I honestly don't see the issue with the rule as it stands. Aero socks don't really add anything to the sport. If they work, everyone will eventually use them, and nothing will have changed except for the waste of time and resources that is having people gluing their aero socks on inside the team bus just before races. If a loophole is found (like full length leg warmers, as you say, or the aero bandages that have been used in track events), then they can study it and decide if the rule needs to be clarified and/or made more restrictive.