2022 PRO Thread

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

you miss my point entirely - actions like these ingrave the word 'doping' on whole cycling community, not just pros or WT. are you fine with it as well? because I'm not. and it's not because of doping itself, it's because cycling is losing ground being notoriously thought of as a dirty discpline. and again, I've never even heard of any other team/athlete from any other discipline being 'raided' like cycling teams are - on a regular basis and, let's say it, without any results
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

blaugrana

by blaugrana

Well, it's actually a decision that those in charge of each sport have had to take at some point. If you go after dopers, you will catch some eventually, and the image of the sport is hurt because it's associated with that. That's what cycling has done, more or less, and while surely a very big % of the peloton is still on something, at least they have to tone it down a little (microdoses, etc.).

Or you can do what most other sports are doing, and set up the tests so that dopers can get away with pretty much anything. If you don't catch any dopers, that must surely mean that there are no dopers, so everyone wins. If from time to time someone still messes it up and tests positive, it is conveniently swept under the rug, and generally the press doesn't want to dig too much into it either (most of them live off the same industry anyway, so if the sport loses credibility, they get hurt as well).

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

ok, so is there any difference (I don't know - like moral?) between "catching some", and letting them fly? aside from tarnishing cyclings reputation and image along the way?

as you've said - big % of peloton is surely on something. so what is all this anti doping fuss within cycling about, because the way I see it, it's just smoke and mirrors to satisfy god knows who

and one more thing that bothers me - so officials had to have some sort of intel. please, can someone explain - if a team passes all the tests, and then gets hit by police, what does it say about testing policy? 10 years after Lance's confession...?

maquisard

by maquisard

Testing policy is the same as it was in the Merckx era, in the Lemond era, in the Indurain era, in the Armstrong era, in the Froome era.

Completely ineffective.

The only thing that will catch dopers are admissions of guilt. Armstrong didn't get caught because of USADA, he got caught because there was also a Federal investigation just prior and former team mates would not cross over the line of perjuring themselves in a Federal court. If the Federal investigation had not happened and it had only been a USADA investigation, Armstrong would have got away with it.

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

sure, arguably though this investigation was a product of his own conduct - Lance had left so many casualties and loose ends behind, his clock was ticking anyway.

then again, police raids during Tour have been a thing since ~mid-90s. have they produced any real cases, aside from Festina? yet police still treats pro cyclists like mere suspects, I bet it doesn't really take that much - somebody tells someone he knows/saw something and I bet an eager judge will sign a search warrant against "these crooked cyclists" :roll:

spud

by spud

I was pleased to learn that the Moriah Wilson's murderer was caught.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

blaugrana wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:01 pm
Well, it's actually a decision that those in charge of each sport have had to take at some point. If you go after dopers, you will catch some eventually, and the image of the sport is hurt because it's associated with that. That's what cycling has done, more or less, and while surely a very big % of the peloton is still on something, at least they have to tone it down a little (microdoses, etc.).

Or you can do what most other sports are doing, and set up the tests so that dopers can get away with pretty much anything. If you don't catch any dopers, that must surely mean that there are no dopers, so everyone wins. If from time to time someone still messes it up and tests positive, it is conveniently swept under the rug, and generally the press doesn't want to dig too much into it either (most of them live off the same industry anyway, so if the sport loses credibility, they get hurt as well).
Yes... I pretty much agree with you. It is a problem in all sports. Unfortunately cycling has had to deal with the doping very publicly because the story of LA just got SOOO big. It couldn't be ignored and it couldn't be brushed under the rug. His celebrity got so huge, that the story of then downfall was sensationalized. In response, cycling has to take a hard line on doping, but every time they do catch someone, they perpetuate they idea that cycling is dirty. When I was just getting into cycling in 2014, I remember that summer watching the tour in the morning and world cup soccer matches in the evening. I was new to cycling and just really learning about racing and the history of some of the riders that had been racing during the LA era. I was hesitant to be a fan of anyone because I figured, surely at some point, they'll all be found guilty of doping. one afternoon, after the race was done, I clicked over to the soccer match and one of the star players had an injury shortly before the half. The show goes to the halftime commentators and I remember them very calmly and openly suggesting that "he'll get a cortizone shot during the half and be good to go for the second half of the game." It immediately hit me how crazy that would be if a cycling commentator had suggested that, but on the soccer panel, no one even batted an idea.... like he was just suggesting he was going to get an ice pack and bandaid and a kiss from daddy.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

spud wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:20 am
I was pleased to learn that the Moriah Wilson's murderer was caught.
Definitely..... It is kind of amazing to me that she stayed on the run for so long and had succesfully gotten out of the country with a false passport with no prior planning.... and she managed to do that without even having access to her own computer or using her cell phone etc.

spokenwords

by spokenwords

She is obviously quite smart and conniving. I think this will be a very difficult case to prosecute unfortunately. I hope there is some real damaging evidence that makes it clear because she isnt going down easy. She seems to know the game well. She already had a fake passport! Something is very odd about that. Maybe it wasnt a crime of passion.
Anyway, TdF today. Raids already. Covid will strike. Gonna be interesting.
As for doping. Its there, but, for me cycling is still a beautiful display of tactics, intellligence, characters, passion, and endless story lines. I hate cheaters. Freakin hate em. But they cant ruin the sport for me, apparantly. Lets just hope the final is decided by the road and not other negative aspects.
"Notice how the door closes when the chimes of freedom ring." Joe Strummer
"this goes to 11" Nigel Tufnel
Dont move to Austin

robbosmans

by robbosmans

New trek helmet

maquisard

by maquisard

This is a nasty TT course to ride in the rain. Much uneven road surfaces with cobbles and also many tarmac sections with large amounts of paint. I would hate to be riding this on a road bike even.

I hope everyone makes it through with no issues. I hope no one ends up like Valverde several years ago.

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

1. Ganna
2. WvA
3. Pog (He'll soft pedal the last 5km as he doesn't want the jersey day one)
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

robbosmans

by robbosmans

You are close.
1. WVA
2. Pog
3. Ganna

maquisard

by maquisard

ichobi

by ichobi

All wrong.
Quickstep pulled that one out of a hat. Great ride by a farmer’s som from belgium, in his own words.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com