2021 PRO thread

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

OnTheRivet

by OnTheRivet

Dominico Pozzovivo, wow, just saw a picture of him from the Tour of Slovakia. I can't believe his doctor or the team doctor hasn't stepped in and stopped him racing to have that fixed. He is doing lasting damage to the rest of his body by continuing, it looks painful just watching. Nothing admirable in that.
Last edited by OnTheRivet on Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

OnTheRivet wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:02 pm
Just saw a picture of him
Who?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

micky

by micky

Raimundo wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:29 pm
So, this is me thinking outside of the box!! :mrgreen:

TWO (2) mechanichs for every disc brake wheel change, F1 style!!!

Lead mechanic deals with the cordless drill and thru axle.
Secondary mechanic deals with the used wheel and the replacement wheel. And pushes the rider forward after the pitless pit-stop is done.

If rider misbehaves (like Remco does sometimes), both mechanics tackle him to reason...

There, not that hard...
Team car with extra seat sorted.

garbageman

by garbageman

OnTheRivet wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:02 pm
Dominico Pozzovivo, wow, just saw a picture of him from the Tour of Slovakia. I can't believe his doctor or the team doctor hasn't stepped in and stopped him racing to have that fixed. He is doing lasting damage to the rest of his body by continuing, it looks painful just watching. Nothing admirable in that.
The Tour of Slovakia hasn't started yet. What exactly are you talking about having "fixed"?
edit: Just noticed the subject line ("Pozzovivos arm") which is only visible in the "Last post" column of the board index and the reply form for me. His arm is like that because of the injuries he sustained when he was hit by a car in 2019. He had multiple open/compound fractures and underwent 5 surgeries. I'm pretty sure his arm is as "fixed" as it's going to get, and the lasting damage has already been done. I think it's quite admirable he's been able to return to the highest level of sport after such a serious collision and injuries. Maybe you should contact him or his team on social media to let them know your completely uninformed amateur medical opinion, though. I'm sure they'd appreciate it. :roll:
Last edited by garbageman on Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

HeluvaSkier

by HeluvaSkier

garbageman wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:27 pm
The Tour of Slovakia hasn't started yet. What exactly are you talking about having "fixed"?
I have a hunch this news is a year old. I see to recall something with him being hospitalized due to risk of infection or something... but I thought it was in 2020.

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

How 'bout that Cav-Lefevere contract negs? Maybe Cav should be lead-out for Morkov?? :lol:

It's like the old joke: That Lefevere is so tight, he squeaks when he walks!

Roel W

by Roel W

OnTheRivet wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:32 pm
Another data point on disc brakes and team ability. At the Antwerp Port Epic ALL Alpecin-Fenix team riders have handles on their wheel thru axles so if presented with a puncture they can switch wheels between teammates. Also the rider can remove the wheel BEFORE the nuetral service arrives. I've said it before, when INEOS goes disc they will have all this bullshit figured out and most teams ineptitude to figure discs out will be pretty apparent.
The wheel thru axles come with the bike (in the case of alpecin-fenix it is Canyon) and are not provided by the groupset or wheel supplier.
Canyon changed the thru axle design so both wheels have handles since... (I think it was 2020, might also be 2019, my 2018 Ultimate doesn't have it but my 2020 Grail has it).
CANYON Ultimate AL 2010
CANYON Ultimate CF SL 2014
CANYON Ultimate CF SL disc 2018
Instagram @roeleur

Raimundo

by Raimundo

micky wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:34 pm
Raimundo wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:29 pm
So, this is me thinking outside of the box!! :mrgreen:

TWO (2) mechanichs for every disc brake wheel change, F1 style!!!

Lead mechanic deals with the cordless drill and thru axle.
Secondary mechanic deals with the used wheel and the replacement wheel. And pushes the rider forward after the pitless pit-stop is done.

If rider misbehaves (like Remco does sometimes), both mechanics tackle him to reason...

There, not that hard...
Team car with extra seat sorted.

Great picture Micky, the perfect place for our buddy Lefevre, he could even draft his newspaper column from back there, exhaust fumes andeverything to help with the inspiration... And with all that tongue-in-cheek from my previous post i misworded myself a bit there. :D the cordless drill guy would be the bloke on the passenger seat... no extra passengers needed to go F1 style, and no extra budget either...

Needed disclosure: i try very hard to also like the wolfpack, and even enjoy to the max their tactical superiority, but as noticed in some of my posts they easily become my favourite satirical go-to...

Miller

by Miller

UpFromOne wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:57 am
How 'bout that Cav-Lefevere contract negs? Maybe Cav should be lead-out for Morkov?? :lol:
Lefevre seems like he has no filter between thought and speech. I can understand some plain speaking during private contract negotiations but is there any need to put it out there in public?

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/lefeve ... -in-again/

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

"I respect Mark Cavendish. We saved his skin. We gave him all the tools. He took the challenge and he did it. And now it begins. Now he thinks it is time to cash in again."

Cavendish's storied career did indeed appear to be coming to a close at the end of 2020 but, after joining his former team on a low salary funded by a personal sponsor, he has enjoyed a remarkable resurgence, winning four stages of the Tour de France.
nice save Pat, really nice one.. BTW, aren't there any rules against salary being paid by a third party, not the team itself?
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

Roel W wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:15 am
The wheel thru axles come with the bike (in the case of alpecin-fenix it is Canyon) and are not provided by the groupset or wheel supplier.
Canyon changed the thru axle design so both wheels have handles since... (I think it was 2020, might also be 2019, my 2018 Ultimate doesn't have it but my 2020 Grail has it).
In most cases a given thru axle standard will have both tooled or handled options available.

Maddie

by Maddie

tymon_tm wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:34 pm
"I respect Mark Cavendish. We saved his skin. We gave him all the tools. He took the challenge and he did it. And now it begins. Now he thinks it is time to cash in again."

Cavendish's storied career did indeed appear to be coming to a close at the end of 2020 but, after joining his former team on a low salary funded by a personal sponsor, he has enjoyed a remarkable resurgence, winning four stages of the Tour de France.
nice save Pat, really nice one.. BTW, aren't there any rules against salary being paid by a third party, not the team itself?
Haha, Lefevre is such a half empty glass kind of guy. I’m not the biggest Cavendish fan but the PR attention that he gets still has a lot of value. Maybe Lefevre thinks that Flanders is the center of the world? Literally every cycling news media was covering Cavendish’s victories and the Eddy Merckx record. All the while Quickstep was mentioned as his team.
Oh, BTW since Lefevre talks about everything very openly, I was surprised that he didn’t mention how much Cavendish was asking. Maybe he will reveal it next week.

AJS914

by AJS914

Lefevere:

"Cav, I'm only going to charge YOUr personal sponser 300,000 Euros for the leadout train. That's a good deal. You'll never find another team with a better train if you want to win any more races. Remember Bennett will be back in the peloton next year. You don't want to be without the Wolfpack's train."

OnTheRivet

by OnTheRivet

tymon_tm wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:34 pm

He's like the old Grandpa that says embarrassing shit because he's old and doesn't care anymore. How liberating that must be.