2021 PRO thread

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

maquisard
Posts: 2628
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 8:51 pm
Location: France

by maquisard

The first stage win in GT of the young Bernal. It would be good to see him also at the TdF. Glad he has overcome his back injuries.

Karvalo
Posts: 1690
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:40 pm

by Karvalo

LeDuke wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 3:03 pm
Pidcock looking great in Nove Mesto right now.

Would be great if he can hold on. I’ll gladly eat that crow.
What does that guy whose brother in law was a coach say about the way he rode the whole expert climb with ease when everyone behind was running it? :wink:

by Weenie


gerryc89
Posts: 184
Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 10:37 am

by gerryc89

Karvalo wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 5:06 pm
guyc wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 3:38 pm
Not such a bad day for Bernal either.
Bernal hitting the front, pausing to shift into the big ring then detonating the race is one of my favourite moments of the year so far!
I loved this too! And he just kept on accelerating.... stunning.

User avatar
ave
Posts: 1963
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:15 pm
Location: Hungary

by ave

robbosmans wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 6:45 pm
Idk Valter was only just hanging on to the back of the peloton on the final climb, my guess is he loses the jersey tomorrow
You were right! He was already very close to his limit yesterday, and today he was empty on the last climb.

OnTheRivet
Posts: 333
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:41 pm

by OnTheRivet

Attermann wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 12:34 pm
holy sh*t that's gotta hurt, he hit a grate on the inside of the road after his slide.
I hate crashes, will not watch crash videos. That being said, I can't say I'm surprised, Mohoric is the guy who seems to always take the most unecessary risks, glad he is okay. I'd think this would make him check up a bit on the craziness. Happened to Sagan after his big crash too.

ooo
Posts: 1088
Joined: Sat May 21, 2016 12:59 pm

by ooo

What is the date when olympics ranking/listings will be finalised?
'

Karvalo
Posts: 1690
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:40 pm

by Karvalo

OnTheRivet wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 12:03 am
Attermann wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 12:34 pm
holy sh*t that's gotta hurt, he hit a grate on the inside of the road after his slide.
I hate crashes, will not watch crash videos. That being said, I can't say I'm surprised, Mohoric is the guy who seems to always take the most unecessary risks, glad he is okay. I'd think this would make him check up a bit on the craziness. Happened to Sagan after his big crash too.
I don't think that's particularly relevant to this crash. He was second wheel in the break following someone else's pace through that corner. If he was taking crazy and unnecessary risks then so was everyone else in the group - otherwise known as bike racing.

sychen
Posts: 1340
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:06 pm

by sychen

Karvalo wrote:
OnTheRivet wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 12:03 am
Attermann wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 12:34 pm
holy sh*t that's gotta hurt, he hit a grate on the inside of the road after his slide.
I hate crashes, will not watch crash videos. That being said, I can't say I'm surprised, Mohoric is the guy who seems to always take the most unecessary risks, glad he is okay. I'd think this would make him check up a bit on the craziness. Happened to Sagan after his big crash too.
I don't think that's particularly relevant to this crash. He was second wheel in the break following someone else's pace through that corner. If he was taking crazy and unnecessary risks then so was everyone else in the group - otherwise known as bike racing.
No.. Can't blame recklessness for this one.. He was probably closer to the apex than the person in front and behind him.

He lost the front wheel over a dark patch.. Not sure if it's a recently repaired bit of road.. But he then panic locked the back.. And the front went inside and hit something.. Either a rock or grate and flipped him.

If he only as reported had a mild concussion.. Then he's a very lucky boy. Alot of the force was absorbed by his fork and bike thus the snapping of the fork.. And had alot less than the full 70kph when he flipped and hit the ground.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk



Mr.Gib
Posts: 4300
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2005 4:12 pm
Location: eh?

by Mr.Gib

I've watched the crash a few times. I just see the rear wheel lose grip, than it catches again almost like a high side wipe out, and sends him to the inside of the turn where the front wheel definitely contacted something. Must have been a rock.

I rode over Passo Godi in 2019 and the surface, like most of the roads in that area, is incredibly uneven. Aside from all the cracks and patches, there are undulations everywhere. It can make for very uneven contact pressure between the tires and the road. You're always being pitched about. It is so easy to come out of a little dip in the middle of a turn and have the bike siddenly get "light".

It was great to see Mohoric stand up after the crash.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

bikewithnoname
Posts: 1499
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:29 pm
Location: Paris

by bikewithnoname

ooo wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 12:54 am
What is the date when olympics ranking/listings will be finalised?
For XC MTB the qualification period is now closed, so I believe it's all done. Thanks to a Romanian rider finishing in the top 20 at Nove Mestro I believe a slot opened up for Team GB, so Pidcock will go barring injury (although not seen any official announcement)
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde
Pegoretti, Parlee, Donhou, Various others

User avatar
Kjetil
Posts: 2686
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:17 pm
Location: Hamar, Norway
Contact:

by Kjetil

^Reminds me of the south side of the Iseran. Long straights there but rattling enough to do a Jensie if you’re not careful.
Last edited by Kjetil on Mon May 17, 2021 7:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bianchi-Campagnolo
The Specialissima
Gylne Gutuer, the UCI 1.2 bike race I invented.

User avatar
tymon_tm
Posts: 3072
Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:35 pm

by tymon_tm

gerryc89 wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 9:09 pm
Karvalo wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 5:06 pm
guyc wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 3:38 pm
Not such a bad day for Bernal either.
Bernal hitting the front, pausing to shift into the big ring then detonating the race is one of my favourite moments of the year so far!
I loved this too! And he just kept on accelerating.... stunning.
and all of that on a strip of sand.. (nearly)
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

User avatar
Kjetil
Posts: 2686
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:17 pm
Location: Hamar, Norway
Contact:

by Kjetil

On 25 mm tyres too, right?
Bianchi-Campagnolo
The Specialissima
Gylne Gutuer, the UCI 1.2 bike race I invented.

User avatar
ave
Posts: 1963
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:15 pm
Location: Hungary

by ave

gerryc89 wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 9:09 pm
I loved this too! And he just kept on accelerating.... stunning.
Was he? How come Evenepoel only lost 10seconds? I'd say he was already 10seconds back BEFORE Bernal shifted to the big ring!
But true, it was spectacular on TV!

by Weenie


User avatar
Dan Gerous
Posts: 2149
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:28 pm

by Dan Gerous

bikewithnoname wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 7:15 am
ooo wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 12:54 am
What is the date when olympics ranking/listings will be finalised?
For XC MTB the qualification period is now closed, so I believe it's all done. Thanks to a Romanian rider finishing in the top 20 at Nove Mestro I believe a slot opened up for Team GB, so Pidcock will go barring injury (although not seen any official announcement)
UCI is supposed to publish the final rankings and country qualifications tomorrow.

Post Reply