2021 PRO thread

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

renoracing

by renoracing

LouisN wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:35 pm
Rob81 wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:07 pm
https://twitter.com/i/status/1363820836352897032

(Rear) frame failure?
I looked at it multiple times. Looks like front wheel suddenly breaks. Man that's unlucky !

Louis :)
I think you're spot on??? But looking at some other video clips elsewhere, its so hard to tell. But, At the 6.5 second mark or so, it looks like the portion of the front wheel that is closest to the ground, folds over towards his left. Looks like one of the tri-spoke legs gave out...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ave

by ave

I can't see any issues with the bike, even after the crash, everyting seems okay. Right before the crash the rear end of the bike (the saddle) moves towards his left, while his buttocks stays where it was, so I'd say he wasn't sitting on the saddle by that time. But why, I can't fathom.

upd: While on the course he sits on the nose of the saddle, but that's nothing unusual.

jekyll man

by jekyll man

Pro textreme trispoke failure like sky had a few happen a couple of years ago?
Official cafe stop tester

AnkitS

by AnkitS

I was half expecting a "F**KING ELITE" at the end of that one.

JSL

by JSL

ave wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:29 am
I can't see any issues with the bike, even after the crash, everyting seems okay. Right before the crash the rear end of the bike (the saddle) moves towards his left, while his buttocks stays where it was, so I'd say he wasn't sitting on the saddle by that time. But why, I can't fathom.

upd: While on the course he sits on the nose of the saddle, but that's nothing unusual.
To meet it seems his weight suddenly shifts forward and he loses his balance. Maybe a seat binder slips or something? The front wheel keeps spinning normally after he crashes and doesn't appear to be splintered.

JSL

by JSL

Or the chain could have slipped/failed...

maquisard

by maquisard

Agree, it seem like he was pushing against a large torque/resistance, and then that torque suddenly disappeared, thowing him off balance and causing the crash. That should be caused by the chain dropping or tire losing traction. Very strange.

robbosmans

by robbosmans

Pogacar looking super strong, but impressive ride by Yates

maquisard

by maquisard

Pogacar timed the move to perfection - Yates seemed to lose concentration for a short time and Pogacar attacked just then.

It is difficult to see Froome riding for GC win again.

robbosmans

by robbosmans

I was suprised he could follow in the beginning, I was starting to think he might be coming back into form, next km he got dropped hard...

XCProMD

by XCProMD

ave wrote:I can't see any issues with the bike, even after the crash, everyting seems okay. Right before the crash the rear end of the bike (the saddle) moves towards his left, while his buttocks stays where it was, so I'd say he wasn't sitting on the saddle by that time. But why, I can't fathom.

He lost grip on the sand. From the horse’s mouth.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

JMeinholdt

by JMeinholdt

maquisard wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:39 pm
Pogacar timed the move to perfection - Yates seemed to lose concentration for a short time and Pogacar attacked just then.

Yes, on all accounts. I am curious to know if Froome is holding back seeing as how he didn't make the front break in the crosswinds and hasn't had GC hope from day 1. You'd think ISN would still want him to try for stage wins if he has it in him, though.
Wilier Cento10AIR - SRAM Force AXS - Road/race
3T Exploro - SRAM Rival AXS XPLR - Gravel
Wilier Sestiere - Shimano Tiagra - Commuter

YouTube link: https://www.youtube.com/@JMCyclingVideos

HotWireMyHeart

by HotWireMyHeart

Sure this, or similar has been posted before, but... pure bike FILTH:

https://sporza.be/nl/2021/02/09/bikepor ... 869046512/

Personally, can't get enough of that pearlescent Wilier blue.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

JMeinholdt wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:52 pm
maquisard wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:39 pm

Yes, on all accounts. I am curious to know if Froome is holding back seeing as how he didn't make the front break in the crosswinds and hasn't had GC hope from day 1. You'd think ISN would still want him to try for stage wins if he has it in him, though.
Holding back for what? He needs to start doing something if he wants to accomplish any results, I think that's the best he's got right now.

Personally, I think ISN mostly signed Froome for the media attention. Recovering from his crash + age + no Sky/Ineos semi-legal doping shenanigans, I don't see him ever being a contender for a Grand Tour podium ever again, but he still brings a lot of media attention and a following of Froome groupies (Froopies?) towards the team and their sponsors. I think they know he's likely never going to be a contender again, if by some miracle he does come back, great for them but if not, he's still a good investment (his salary is probably a fraction of what he earned before). Just my opinion, of course.