2020 Pro thread

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderator: Moderator Team

fa63

by fa63

I like the idea of one consolidated grand tour for 2021. It would be fun to watch, with all the big riders in one race. Though I imagine that would also create lots of headaches for the team, trying to define who the leader is, etc...

by Weenie

eins4eins

by eins4eins

Every race that will eventually happen this year, will be difficult for everyone. If they really combine races, imagine what kind of discussion will arise from it, about which team will get the invitation. It will play a factor in the decision wether or not some teams exist next year.
Not to talk about the internal fight between riders and management, about a place on the squad. Lots of riders don't have a contract for next year and need to proof themselve.

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

I don't see it happening, mostly due to logistic issues. perhaps running shorter, one week versions of GTs somewhere around summer (if things cool down obviously) would be possible, but setting out a completely new race - no way.
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

micky wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:24 pm
Matteo Trentin brought up the idea of a "united" Giro/Tour/Vuelta as a nice idea for a race to unite people across the world in a unique event, and even Rai reported it on their news because what else could you talk about on the sport section these days?
Personally I think the biggest thing against it would be ASO, nobody else.

On a serious note Giro organizers reported as considering months of June, August and October.
Well ASO own both the TdF and the Vuelta so it might not be as difficult to foresee. Basically RCS and ASO would have to come to agreement - Northern Spain for a week, Southern France for a week and a week in Northern Italy. Could be a GT with very mountainous final two weeks.

LouisN

by LouisN

I would rather see major events happen at the same time in different places. Of course theses major events would be placed in the exceptionnal calendar so every "special" teams would benefit from the coverage and would be chosen depending on the specificity of the course/terrain.

It will also be a painful puzzle for all the national federations to put some selection events in the eventual shortened calendar...if there is ever one in 2020...

Louis :)

Karvalo

by Karvalo

I think the Giro's shit outta luck this year. The Tour has got to have the best chance, French athorities are reportedly considering the possibility of sanctioning it with spectators banned, and you have to think ASO would sacrifice the Vuelta in a heartbeat to allow a later start date. With the Olympics gone there's nothing else to really get in the way until Worlds.

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

Organizing a grand tour needs time though, how many weeks, months would be required to plan it? It will still be a while before they can even think about picking dates, adjusting routes from the original plan, then coordinating with towns, departements, police, all of whom with very depleted ressources and finance after what they are going through... I wouldn't be surprised if there is no grand tour at all this year.

I hope I'm wrong though.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

Dan Gerous wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:11 pm
Organizing a grand tour needs time though, how many weeks, months would be required to plan it? It will still be a while before they can even think about picking dates, adjusting routes from the original plan, then coordinating with towns, departements, police, all of whom with very depleted ressources and finance after what they are going through... I wouldn't be surprised if there is no grand tour at all this year.
I'd imagine the bulk of the planning can be carried forward. I'd put it 50/50 at the moment, with the odds rapidly going down every week that the major european countries don't get over the hump to the rapid downturn in cases that other countries have seen with effective testing and containment. The resources thing is definitely one of the reasons I'd be amazed to see a Giro this year. So far France is in better shape and their race is worth a lot more to the country.

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

Loving what Adam Hansen is doing with his 3D printer making face masks
https://www.instagram.com/p/B-MJv30gZTY ... pm107fv7kz

Omiar

by Omiar

I don't see much international racing happen this summer, with spectators or not. Domestic racing can happen but international racing will be much more difficult to get back on track.
All the teams are multinational and cycling and staff are coming from different parts of the world. No country is going to let them in. The borders are going to stay locked for at least 1-2 months until goverments are sure no one is going to import a the virus again.
Scott Foil Disc Ultegra Di2 R8070
Scott Foil Ultegra Di2 6750
Scott Scale 935 carbon 2015 Di2 - the "gravel eater / winter bike"
Scott Spark LTD 29" XT M8000 - sold
Scott Scale 35 26" - sold

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I'd rather GTs be just cancelled.. 2 weeks GTs might be ok, but anything less then that and it would not be the same. A combined 3 GT is a non-starter for me.

maquisard

by maquisard

Better just cancelling them this year - more important things than sport.

Haydn

by Haydn

Theres not a chance in hell any Grand Tours will go ahead this summer

Vermu

by Vermu

No idea If mentioned somewhere else but on Netflix 6 part document about movistars effort last year. Helps a bit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pastronef

by pastronef

Hinault´s 1981 TT bike equipped with Dura-Ace

https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhbikes/24714886668

by Weenie