Potential Canyon buyers, beware!

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderator: Moderator Team

CrankyCarbon

by CrankyCarbon

ihsv wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:21 pm
... the sound was actually getting worse and was becoming a loud creaking rather than clicking. The sound was clearly audible at >200W and >80RPM and it sounded like my bike could break any moment for >400W and >80RPM.
To me this sounds like the stereotypical Bottom Bracket / crank interface although I have not wrenched in ages other than my own bikes now.

I use Campy and have UT and threaded english BB for 2 bikes. On one bike I have no issues (I measures everything before installation, etc). On the 2nd It has the exact same >200w / 80rpm clicking noise which gets worse at higher torque times. If I double pedal I can minimize it. Light smooth pedaling .. nothing. heavier pedaling .. clicking.
With Campy UT it's a fixed width so one can calculate stuff out, although a major PITA.

But someone mentioned hambini. he has identified that the two sides of a BB interface may not be perfectly directly across from each other, thus causing the crank/axle to be slightly skewed in relation to the bearing/cups, thus causing what seems the correct installation to not really work no matter what you do.

hambini

by hambini

With regards to misalignment.

This was the worst I had seen up to that point. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtsos05Bf3U

I have seen a cervelo with worse since. And canyon also have bottom bracket halves glued together so they may well be misaligned.
Hambini Aeronautical Engineer, Polluting YouTube since 2016 - views expressed are my own...
Add me ON TWITTER!
Aerodynamic Masterclass in bicycle wheels
I fixed the bottom bracket from hell

by Weenie

Karvalo

by Karvalo

ihsv wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:25 pm
At this point my best bet is that the BB shell is damaged from the crash I mentioned in the OP.
Right.

So you think that you broke your bike through your own misadventure, and therefore you want to sue Canyon over it.

What the *f##k* is wrong with you? :noidea:

CrankyCarbon

by CrankyCarbon

I forgot to add. Shimano hollow cranks start creaking before failure too under load, although you stated you installed new cranks.