What is Trek launching?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderator: Moderator Team

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

mattr wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:04 am
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:48 am
It also seems like you’ve assumed a price of ~$300. Are you sure this isn’t something that will be on a $100, $150, $200 helmet?
It's the bike industry, it'll be $10 worth of plastic and "development costs" in a box marked up to $400.

Bontrager’s current most expensive road helmet is $200.

by Weenie

mattr

by mattr

So $5 worth of plastic and "development costs"

;)

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

mattr wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:11 am

;)
so assuming its a helmet is the helmet strength really the key safety issue or is it preventing the brain from suffering a concussion. if its the former a stronger material would be an advance, but manufactuers could always have made heavier stronger helmets. if its the latter i don't see how this helps
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

peted76

by peted76

If this big 30 year game changer is a conventional style helmet, I'm going to be very disappointed. Surely game changing head protection would have to be more like that that airbag collar released the other year.. https://hovding.com/

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

Someone said $300 a page back so I thought that was the price. Doesn't matter exactly though.
Also, not full face DH helmets. Open face enduro helmets with extended coverage farther down the sides and back of head and thicker plastic shells to better withstand multiple impacts.
Also, I never said there was a "problem" with a more absorbent helmet. I said it falls well short of my definition of "revolutionizing the riding experience".
I don't care anywhere near enough about helmets to argue about them. My statement many pages back was this was going to be a disappointing minor improvement, rather than the kind of advancement the marketing promised. After the release I commented that's exactly what happened, though at least it wasn't another electric bike. If you two are excited for this new helmet than don't let me stop you from being excited.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

I’ll just say again that even a relatively minor improvement in helmet safety excites me way, way more than putting graphene, Innegra, aramid, etc. into composite or 3D printed carbon. It’s not sexy, but it simply more important than ticking boxes like weight and BOM cost on a spec sheet.

PokojniToza

by PokojniToza

fromtrektocolnago wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:29 am
mattr wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:11 am

;)
so assuming its a helmet is the helmet strength really the key safety issue or is it preventing the brain from suffering a concussion. if its the former a stronger material would be an advance, but manufactuers could always have made heavier stronger helmets. if its the latter i don't see how this helps
Why stronger when the idea is that the helmet breaks so that your head would not?

mattr

by mattr

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:13 pm
I’ll just say again that even a relatively minor improvement in helmet safety excites me way, way more than putting graphene, Innegra, aramid, etc. into composite or 3D printed carbon. It’s not sexy, but it simply more important than ticking boxes like weight and BOM cost on a spec sheet.
Really? A helmet that provides almost no protection in any sort of crash at greater than "ride to the pub pace" will suddenly provide, erm, almost no protection in any sort of a crash at greater than "ride to the pub pace"........

We need a complete paradigm shift in helmet design, testing and standards before i'd get excited.

Unless they've designed an MTB shell that doesn't snag on undergrowth/small twigs, that i'd like.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

Lelandjt wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:44 pm
I said it falls well short of my definition of "revolutionizing the riding experience".
I don't care anywhere near enough about helmets to argue about them.
That's not what you said either.

tmr5555

by tmr5555

Me thinks helmets should be %100 subsidised or at least totally tax exempt. But that’s a whole different thread... we shouldn’t be talking of 300 dollar helmets. If this helmet is truly completely ground breaking, it still will be totally priced out of the budget of many.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

mattr wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:14 pm
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:13 pm
Really? A helmet that provides almost no protection in any sort of crash at greater than "ride to the pub pace" will suddenly provide, erm, almost no protection in any sort of a crash at greater than "ride to the pub pace"........

We need a complete paradigm shift in helmet design, testing and standards before i'd get excited.

Unless they've designed an MTB shell that doesn't snag on undergrowth/small twigs, that i'd like.
I see you’ve never actually crashed hard while cornering or descending at speed. I have. The road helmet saved me from a concussion at the very least, and perhaps prevented much a much worse head/brain trauma.

Also it doesn’t matter if you crash riding to the cafe or pub. All it takes is a 1 meter fall to potentially kill you.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

PokojniToza wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:26 pm

Why stronger when the idea is that the helmet breaks so that your head would not?

The idea is to disperse energy. EPS effectively disperses energy once before it is compromised. A deformable, reflexive helmet that is as effective on initial and subsequent impacts in a collision is worth our consideration. It might be slightly more mushroomy, it might be more expensive. Let’s wait and see.

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

guyc

by guyc

Not that arsehole. Ever.

by Weenie

mattr

by mattr

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:11 am
I see you’ve never actually crashed hard while cornering or descending at speed. I have. The road helmet saved me from a concussion at the very least, and perhaps prevented much a much worse head/brain trauma.
1) yes i have, i've been racing on and off road for 30 years, it's hard to avoid. 2) maybe a mild concussion and some abrasions/cuts, because helmets slide and don't bleed, anything thats going to cause anything worse than that will exceed the helmets ability to absorb energy. 3) I get it, you're a helmet evangelical. But try not to confuse anecdote with evidence. If you've had enough accidents/head impacts to actually call it evidence, maybe take up something less dangerous.
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:11 am
Also it doesn’t matter if you crash riding to the cafe or pub. All it takes is a 1 meter fall to potentially kill you.
Which is why it would be far far far more beneficial to the population as a whole to make people wear helmets when they have a shower, walk to the shops, drive a car, climb on a step stool and so on.