2019 PRO thread

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

blaugrana

by blaugrana

Rob81 wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:22 pm
Alert, you can get high just watching/listening this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j189e8vqQfk

Towelie, from South Park, should be his nickname :D Towelie Phinney
Maybe it's just me, but I get the impression that wearing a shirt to avoid "looking like a cyclist" doesn't work if you are still wearing tight lycra on the bottom half. But apparently baggy shirts and T-shirts for riding gravel is a thing now.

Wookski

by Wookski

blaugrana wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:31 pm
Rob81 wrote:

Maybe it's just me, but I get the impression that wearing a shirt to avoid "looking like a cyclist" doesn't work if you are still wearing tight lycra on the bottom half. But apparently baggy shirts and T-shirts for riding gravel is a thing now.
Sometimes it’s nice to add a few “civilian” pieces- like a baggy t shirt over your bibs to avoid going full MAMIL. Especially when pottering about and not on an intense training ride.

I embraced the look over the summer holidays and was amazed by how much nicer drivers and the general public were.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Multebear

by Multebear

Wookski wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:54 am

Sometimes it’s nice to add a few “civilian” pieces- like a baggy t shirt over your bibs to avoid going full MAMIL. Especially when pottering about and not on an intense training ride.

I embraced the look over the summer holidays and was amazed by how much nicer drivers and the general public were.
Huh?? Nicer because of t shirt?? Did you ask them why they were nicer? Or how did you come to that conclusion?

eins4eins

by eins4eins

in full kit every driver can easily indentify you as one of those reckless wanna-be Pros, blocking the roads. go camo in a baggy shirt and they won't notice their archenemy until they're already passed.

i once read a study which found that car drivers pass women and children more carefully than young males. i would guess that young males in tight kit bend over are even more endangered.

micky

by micky

There was also a study stating that drivers would keep more distance if the cyclist wasn't wearing an helmet (closer if he/she was wearing one).
Not sure I'd do that.

Rondje

by Rondje

eins4eins wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:12 pm
in full kit every driver can easily indentify you as one of those reckless wanna-be Pros, blocking the roads. go camo in a baggy shirt and they won't notice their archenemy until they're already passed.

i once read a study which found that car drivers pass women and children more carefully than young males. i would guess that young males in tight kit bend over are even more endangered.
Probably depends on which country you live. I don't see a difference between a race bike and a helmet with a t-shirt or a race bike with a helmet and a jersey. Where I come from regular people don't wear helmets while riding a bike, and race bikes aren't the go-to transport either unless you are a hipster. So wearing a t-shirt won't change a thing to motorists.

guyc

by guyc

Plenty of commuters in regular kit would beg to differ about race kit making the difference.

themidge

by themidge

Rob81 wrote:
Wow he looks dumb. A collared shirt and bib tights!? nae chance.
I think this is a rather more tasteful approach:

Personally I wouldn't. If I'm going slow enough to be fine in a t shirt then bib shorts are also unnecessary, but those Rapha(?) cargo bib shorts look kid of cool for touring/randonneuring/bike-packing. I think it'd be quite easy to make your own by cutting up some old shorts and sewing pockets on the outside of another pair.

IchDien

by IchDien

I think Phinney looks fine to be honest. The only thing I don't like are the full finger leather gloves which look a bit Gestapo to me with such a casual outfit.

IMHO baggy top and tights is fine as long as they are all black and discreet, as long as you're spending the time with your bike or with it close at hand and in view why would anyone care? I can understand some people's aversion to say wearing that to the pub for example though.

For going casual I find boxers with a pad are great. Skinny jeans something of a necessity too unless you like wearing trouser clips and a lot of chafing around the thighs.

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

I often go casual on a road bike - doing groceries, taking care of some petty business, riding with my kid etc. - and I find no need to fit into someones idea what behoves me to wear. bibs with a t-shirt? why not. who cares, apart from my butt that likes to stay comfy no matter what
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

blaugrana

by blaugrana

themidge wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:17 pm
I think this is a rather more tasteful approach:
The guy spends half the video telling people to ride in a T-shirt for rides where speed doesn't matter, just to have fun, and all that... and then suggests buying 230€ Rapha shorts with pockets because of course the T-shirt doesn't have them. It just seems ridiculous trying to sell the "I don't care" look while using several thousands of €/$ worth of equipment, and of course tagging it appropiately on instagram (It's crucial to let everybody know that you truly don't care). I see many people every week who truly ride their bikes just to enjoy themselves without caring what anyone else may think, and they are precisely the people who all the fashion victim hipster cyclists have been mocking for years.

T-shirt wearing cyclist on a 10.000€ bike these days? Cool.
T-shirt wearing cyclist on a 300€ bike from Decathlon? Let's not even bother waving to that Fred.

Wookski

by Wookski

blaugrana wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:52 pm
I see many people every week who truly ride their bikes just to enjoy themselves without caring what anyone else may think, and they are precisely the people who all the fashion victim hipster cyclists have been mocking for years.

T-shirt wearing cyclist on a 300€ bike from Decathlon? Let's not even bother waving to that Fred.
Why would you wave at anyone? Cycling is far too serious to worry about simple pleasantries when channeling all your middle aged angst towards the next strava segment.

StrapOn

by StrapOn

I think he looks like a broke you wouldn’t let babysit in that rig

AnkitS

by AnkitS

blaugrana wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:52 pm
The guy spends half the video telling people to ride in a T-shirt for rides where speed doesn't matter, just to have fun, and all that... and then suggests buying 230€ Rapha shorts with pockets because of course the T-shirt doesn't have them. It just seems ridiculous trying to sell the "I don't care" look while using several thousands of €/$ worth of equipment, and of course tagging it appropiately on instagram (It's crucial to let everybody know that you truly don't care). I see many people every week who truly ride their bikes just to enjoy themselves without caring what anyone else may think, and they are precisely the people who all the fashion victim hipster cyclists have been mocking for years.

You missed the entire point of the video. :unbelievable:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bilwit

by bilwit

Wookski wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:54 am
blaugrana wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:31 pm
Rob81 wrote:

Sometimes it’s nice to add a few “civilian” pieces- like a baggy t shirt over your bibs to avoid going full MAMIL. Especially when pottering about and not on an intense training ride
I don't mind the shirt+bibs look, it makes sense to me. If you're just cruising around the city for less than an hour, why even bother being in full kit? Dress for the occassion. The video portrays him running errands, going in shops, getting a haircut, etc so he's constantly off/on the bike and interacting with normies.