2018 PRO thread

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

RyanH

by RyanH

That photo is a little deceptive, this is from the same year:

Also, why would it make sense to invest so heavily in someone that didn't have superior potential? If I'm going to go through the hassle of an elaborate doping program, wouldn't I want to take the athlete with the most potential? It wouldn't make sense to pick someone that is rubbish and then engage in a bunch of illegal doping schemes...that would be rather daft... Common...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

beswiss

by beswiss

When I heard Moscon was excluded from the tour yesterday night, I thought it all made sense.
Calmejane's race tactics and delusional interview post race (or what I managed to understand with all the crying). I thought Moscon had taken him though 12 rounds giving him a proper beating. :D
Valgren wasn't very impressed with him either apparently in the Danish interview.
C'dale SuperSix Evo Sram Red, Cube Agree GTC Race SL, Granville MTB XT

guyc

by guyc

RyanH wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:21 am

Also, why would it make sense to invest so heavily in someone that didn't have superior potential? If I'm going to go through the hassle of an elaborate doping program, wouldn't I want to take the athlete with the most potential? It wouldn't make sense to pick someone that is rubbish and then engage in a bunch of illegal doping schemes...that would be rather daft... Common...
Stop asking sensible, rational questions.

Antoine

by Antoine

at least Froome has a happy fan who is even reading his book :

kkibbler

by kkibbler

RyanH wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:21 am

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
You’ve obviously not watched Captain America ;)

Still tho I’m rooting for G.

Rondje

by Rondje

The bike manufacturer dance has begun, BMC signs a 3 year deal with DiData:
http://africasteam.com/2018/07/23/bmc-s ... sion-data/

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

as for drugs - how much would it cost? any idea? we assume it's impossible for individual cyclist to finance his 'programme', but on the other hand lots, LOTS of amateur cyclists dope. so how much would it take - like few grand to get started? tens of thousands of dollars per season? to get "in shape", score some good results or at least do well on medical tests (like a decent V02 level), then get a good contract? I'm just speculating here, aware it's the path many might have walked. so you sell your car, get a mortgage, perhaps your family, or your parents in law have something put aside - and off you go.

that's how many careers in tennis happened - namely Urszula Radwanska's, her grandpa had to sold a valuable painting at some point to finance her career. Jerzy Janowicz's parents sold a prospering business and a flat (it didn't go that well I'm affraid in terms of ROI). I bet in many instances athletes are forced to pay their way to the highest level - why wouldn't it be possible in cycling?
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

Miller

by Miller

tymon_tm wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:15 am
I'm just speculating here
This thread needs a lot less of 'just speculating'. And that's a fact.

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

this thread needs to stay out of any doubts regarding SKY, Froome etc, - just because. I hear you, but - given you joined in '06, I suppose you do remember what was being said/written on this very forum regarding Lance, how "haters" threw doubts, questions and accusations, and believers went on with the "he never tested positive" routine. I remember quite well, as I couldn't believe it either, that it's possible Lance wasn't who I thought he was, and that his marvelous riding (that got me riding myself) is at least not so real. more than a decade later, history repeats itsels, most of us grew up, got just a tad bit experienced (maybe even wiser) but you mate, and many more here, seem to position yourself on the (blind) "believer" side of things. yeah, there are no hard evidence about anything, no one got caught with a needle in his arm so to speak, but there are dots, many of them, and it's our privilege to connect them - after all, it's a chat, not scientific, or legal-proof discussion. I try to be as "neutral" as I can, without saying "oh I hate this or that, he's so bad, blah blah" - just stating some observations and raising issues - and no, it doesn't make me lose sleep or interest in pro cycling (ok, a bit it does, but my passion for sport is greater than any offence one might've commited). your argument is it's entirely possible, from sports science pov, that it's all fair and square. mine is - given what we know (those forementioned dots) - it isn't.

one more thing - I also remember when Museuuw was first accused of doping - WW mods went as far as banning for mentioning it. sure, we can all try to maintain appearances it's all good, sports doing great, hey what's this socks' brand. but I believe we're all mature enough not to kid ourselves, and when there's an issue, we can chat about it in a civilized manner. or can't we?
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

rainerhq

by rainerhq

Geraint Thomas: 'I'd rather be having the race of my life and get booed than be dropped and get cheered
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride"

ave

by ave

It seems like having asthma is not a hindrance at all, quite the opposite. Provided, of course, that you take drugs (medicine) to threat it.

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Ave and others, although i get that it’s simply too easy to talk about it, can we all please leave the dope chat out of here?

Thanks a lot!
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

Rondje

by Rondje

As stated before I'm absolutely against all the booing and ridiculous acts against Froome and/or team Sky but if DB was any smart he'd really stop with throwing oil on that fire. Everything he says only makes it worse and makes him sound more arrogant.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/brailsf ... ral-thing/
Blaming the French culture for it, won't make them be any nicer to you after you previously talked down the UCI president as just a typical French mayor. I wonder how much better the image of Sky would have been if he left after the jiffy bag affair.

maquisard

by maquisard

Rondje wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:10 am
The bike manufacturer dance has begun, BMC signs a 3 year deal with DiData:
http://africasteam.com/2018/07/23/bmc-s ... sion-data/
DiData -> BMC
Sunweb -> Cervélo
BMCCC->???

Who is riding Giant next year?

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

rainerhq wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:30 pm
Geraint Thomas: 'I'd rather be having the race of my life and get booed than be dropped and get cheered
I think it is sad that he has to make that statement.... I feel bad for him. I'm not sure whether or not I beleive in his performances. I feel like I've seen his steady progression from ultimate domenstique to GC contender and that its' been a work in progress, so I don't entirely fall in line with the "his performances are sudden and extraordinary". At the same time, I don't particuarly trust SKY as a team.... honestly, I'm not sure I trust any team. I started following pro cycling 5 years ago, so it was after all of the LA fall out and when I started watching, I was hesitant to root or cheer for anyone because I thought they must all be cheaters. Now, there are individuals that I cheer for, mostly because I like their style of riding, Julian Alaphillipe, for example. I feel like Thomas is generally liked but he's catching a bad rap for being on Sky... that if he was on another team, he wouldn't be getting boo'd. I imagine that the dream of putting on the yellow jersey is a dream tht anyone who has competed in cycling has thought about at some point, but no one ever dreams of being boo'd in the yellow jersey.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com