The wheelbuilding thread

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

Aesch wrote:
Sun Nov 06, 2022 8:54 am
tfayet wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:12 pm
tfayet wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:01 am
Hello
I'm looking for the lighter carbon tubular rim brake for road bike
Caracteristics I need:

- road bike
- rim brake
- Width: 25mm
- Depth: 38 to 40mm
- internal nipple
- asymmetric for rear / standard for front

Do you know who could produce the lighter rim?

Thanks
Any help ?
Maybe BTLOS?
Try EIE :
https://www.eiecarbon.com/goods/index/ROAD_BIKE

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

And a dumb q from me, what is "BTLOS" ?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Aesch

by Aesch

Yes, those manufacturers build wheels as a system with optimalised spoke holes / angles etc. And they don't build wheels for longevity or specific use cases with heavier riders.

If you go 28h, cx rays all around should be fine. Alternative cx Ray fronts and cx rays non DS with sprint DS rear.

matteof93

by matteof93

I am going to build my first custom wheelset for my road bike (disc brakes). Priorities: durability, ease of maintenance, aesthetics, stiffness, optimized for 28 to 32 mm tires.

Durability, stiffness, disc brakes -> 32 spokes front and rear
Ease of maintenance -> J-bend, 6-bolt rotors, round spokes, high spoke count for easy truing
Aesthetics -> 40 to 50 mm deep carbon rims
Tire compatibility 28 to 32 mm -> 21 mm inner rim width

why 32 spokes? 24 is too low for durable wheels ridden aggressively by an 80kg rider. 28 should be ok, but at that point it's better to go straight to 32 (weight penalty and aero penalty are not massive)
why 6 bolts? easier maintenance, cheaper rotors
why j-bend? improved wheel stiffness (higher spoke bracing angle)
why round spokes? at least 3x cheaper than bladed spokes (Sapim Race 0,77€...Sapim CX-Ray 2,51€)

Do you think I am going in the right direction? I will use DT 350 hubs and LightBicycle/Farsports/YishunBike rims. Final cost will be 700 to 800€.

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

matteof93 wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 6:54 pm
(cut)
I'd agree with all you say except for the above statement.
Spoke angle relative to the pull point (lay term) depends on the hub, not the spokes.

Look carefully at the J-bend. The center of pressure is still the center of the hub flange hole.
That the spoke runs outward then 90 degree up does not really provide a wider "bracing angle" because the pull point is inside of the J-bend.
No such advantage to a J over a straight pull.
And in fact the straight pull head will have less deflections thus stiffer.

jesper2913

by jesper2913

matteof93 wrote:
I am going to build my first custom wheelset for my road bike (disc brakes). Priorities: durability, ease of maintenance, aesthetics, stiffness, optimized for 28 to 32 mm tires.

Ease of maintenance -> J-bend, 6-bolt rotors, round spokes, high spoke count for easy truing

why 32 spokes? 24 is too low for durable wheels ridden aggressively by an 80kg rider. 28 should be ok, but at that point it's better to go straight to 32 (weight penalty and aero penalty are not massive)
why round spokes? at least 3x cheaper than bladed spokes (Sapim Race 0,77€...Sapim CX-Ray 2,51€)

Do you think I am going in the right direction? I will use DT 350 hubs and LightBicycle/Farsports/YishunBike rims. Final cost will be 700 to 800€.
I think you are going in the right direction, but the wheel seems a bit overbuilt for durability.

28h is more than enough for your weight and rim choice. Especially if you choose straight pull spokes. J-bend spokes tend to brake at the J-bend.

6-bolt rotors, you might want to reconsider. Even if it's your first handbuilt wheelset, you'll want something nice. Same goes for spokes. Pich the bladed spokes.

The thing is, if your build is a success, you want to build another wheelset, because you will want something racier - thus more expensive. You might as well built your top wheelset right away and be done with it.

AC0

by AC0

I'm looking at Pillar 1422 straight pull bladed spokes. There are two versions PBA 1422 and PSR X-TRA 1422. The specs on the two seem very similar

https://www.pillarspoke.com/butted-aero
https://www.pillarspoke.com/psr-x-tra
Same T302+ material, same .95mmx2.2mm bladed section, same weight.

Only difference seems to be the PSR has a 2.2mm (instead of 2.0) butted section at the spoke head. This makes sense on a J-bend spoke but does it matter on a straight-pull? Do straight-pull spokes break at the head?

Aesch

by Aesch

jesper2913 wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:38 am
matteof93 wrote:

I think you are going in the right direction, but the wheel seems a bit overbuilt for durability.

28h is more than enough for your weight and rim choice. Especially if you choose straight pull spokes. J-bend spokes tend to brake at the J-bend.

6-bolt rotors, you might want to reconsider. Even if it's your first handbuilt wheelset, you'll want something nice. Same goes for spokes. Pich the bladed spokes.

The thing is, if your build is a success, you want to build another wheelset, because you will want something racier - thus more expensive. You might as well built your top wheelset right away and be done with it.
This is exactly what I would say. I started out with a pair of good rims and built a wheelset with a cheap hubset and pillar spokes as a first trial (instead of building with the hub and spokes I'd prefer because I was afraid I'd botch it). This worked out well and exactly like the post I quote I've now just ordered the parts I want and will be building another wheelset (not bad to build more wheels anyway but if you intend to keep it I'd suggest to go for the parts you really like straight away).

Oh and I do choose J bend spokes because the erase hubs I now prefer to ride use the to optimise geometry of the wheel.

AC0

by AC0

Anyone build with bitex BX312 hubs and have a measurement for spoke offset?

Image from WheelPro calculator
sp-positive-offset.jpg
sp-positive-offset.jpg (11.54 KiB) Viewed 4503 times
Sent from my SM-G996W using Tapatalk

Coks

by Coks

Hi,

I am looking to rebuild a pair of DT350 J-bend centerlock hubs 28/28 holes (12x100 and 12x142) with brand new LightBicycle AR45 rims (45mm depth / 21mm inner) and CX-Ray or DT Aerolite spokes.

The wheelset will be used mostly on country roads or light gravel path with 32 to 38 tires (already have a WR38 wheelset for more engaged gravel). I am ~80kg and will surely do some (road) light bikepacking with them. I want somethng sporty and stiff (laterally).

My question is about crossing choice ? 2 ; 3 ? Different pattern on drive side / non drive side ? What is the most relevant for you ?

Thanks in advance !

robertbb

by robertbb

Coks wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 5:30 pm
Hi,

I am looking to rebuild a pair of DT350 J-bend centerlock hubs 28/28 holes (12x100 and 12x142) with brand new LightBicycle AR45 rims (45mm depth / 21mm inner) and CX-Ray or DT Aerolite spokes.

The wheelset will be used mostly on country roads or light gravel path with 32 to 38 tires (already have a WR38 wheelset for more engaged gravel). I am ~80kg and will surely do some (road) light bikepacking with them. I want somethng sporty and stiff (laterally).

My question is about crossing choice ? 2 ; 3 ? Different pattern on drive side / non drive side ? What is the most relevant for you ?

Thanks in advance !
Have you already bought the rims? Are you set on them - or on the 45mm depth?

For such a build I would seriously consider one of the DT swiss options. I had originally considered the AR45's and some Yoleo's and ended up buying DT RR421's. Like you I have DT350 centrelocks, 28/28, and was also considering aerolite spokes.

They are a sensational rim, very advanced. I saw one cut up at a wheel builder's and the shaping and tapering of the wall thicknesses is truly impressive. IF they are too shallow there are other, deeper, DT options.

You've made a good choice to go with 28/28 - under spoked disc wheels are stupid. 2x front and rear is the way to go. The advantage of the offset rim (like the DR RR421's) is that the tensions will be evened out nicely and you just go with the same spoke all around - no need to go for thicker spokes on one side.

Nixster

by Nixster

Any rim recommendation please for rim brake, tubeless compatible with machined brake track. Depth 30mm, carbon, light but not crazy? Internal width 20mm or thereabouts.
Will be going on Carbon Ti 20/24 hubs, 60kg rider.

GZAmk2

by GZAmk2

Zipp808 rebuild

I’m rebuilding a rear Zipp 808 NSW, the stock hub is incompatible with a Miche Primato Cassette (junior gears). I’ve rebuilt the wheel using a Dura Ace 9000 hub, however the spoke tensions are quite different from DS to NDS.

Which brand hub geometry gives the most even spoke tension for the rear wheel?? I’m not up to date on recent offerings.

My spec is 11speed Shimano, 24h, 130mm QR

Any advice appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Catagory6

by Catagory6

GZAmk2 wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:06 pm
Zipp808 rebuild

I’m rebuilding a rear Zipp 808 NSW, the stock hub is incompatible with a Miche Primato Cassette (junior gears). I’ve rebuilt the wheel using a Dura Ace 9000 hub, however the spoke tensions are quite different from DS to NDS.

Which brand hub geometry gives the most even spoke tension for the rear wheel?? I’m not up to date on recent offerings.

My spec is 11speed Shimano, 24h, 130mm QR

Any advice appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
i'm kind of in the same place you are, with a 303FC rear wheel.
i built it up with a Bitex RAR-12, 2x both sides, and the NDS barely registered any tick-marks on the tensiometer, when the DS was brought up to specified tension.

i'm going to try rebuilding the NDS radial, but i've have people tell me that it wont do anything to balance tension. but then other people have said that the shorter spoke length will increase tension.

i don't know the shimano rear hub you're using, but i also have a DT 240 that i think will give better tension balance with a 2x/2x. which is what i would rather have, due to more pulling spokes...

... unless someone with more experience and knowledge than i have, comes on and says that the extra 6 pulling spokes wont make any difference

the DT hub flanges are closer together, and they're more equal in diameter than the bitex

TwiggyForest

by TwiggyForest

A question on stress relieving wheels after major truing, what is everyone's preferred method?

I've seen and read a lot of conflicting information. Also, there seems to be a lot of confusion between whether the stress relieving is to even spoke tension and undo wind up or to increase tension into the plastic deformation range for the spoke to make for less fatigue cycles.

Method 1 - place the wheel hub side down and press your weight at 9 and 3 o'clock, then turn 1/8th and repeat until gone fully around the rim on both sides. I can see how this would detension spokes on the bottom side and potentially undo windup, I can't see this working to increase the spoke tension on the top side to the plastic range. Also there is a danger of tacoing the wheel.

Method 2 - grab parallel pairs of spokes and squeeze hard. I can see how this would significantly raise tension into the plastic range. Also I guess there is potential to detension the adjacent spokes and undo any windup.

Method 3 - Park Tool suggests riding the wheel. Makes sense but would be extremely impractical to do to relieve to the point where you no longer get any pings on the first ride.

Is there a better / preferred method?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com