Glueing tubulars [the tubular thread]

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

I am having a difficult time trying to find the Mastic glue in 250gr containers at the moment and wondering if anyone knows if they have been discontinued or lacking cause of covid? I thought I had found some cans and ordered two but when it showed up at my door it was those packages with packets of four in each envelope. I opened one up to see what they were all about and one of the packets was punctured and the glue was already curing and upon opening the other two envelopes each had punctures. I have emailed the shop with pictures and hoping that maybe they will replace it. I am still hopeful that I would be able to purchase the cans as these packages are very delicate to punctures. Just seems like a waste of glue and materials to me.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LouisN

by LouisN

I have the same problem (Canada eh !). I ordered a box of tubes. Still waiting for them from distributor OGC.
Louis :)

jlok

by jlok

Tried to order the Mastik One can from bikebug but got cancelled "as we can no longer supply this."...
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

oops
Last edited by bikeboy1tr on Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

Thanks guys, I was told by https://www.rossibikes.com/ that they will be getting the 250gr from another manufacturer so if your looking for larger containers they ship out of Lachine, Quebec. They were really good with customer service and reimbursed me for the items. Apparantly I am not the first to have issue with these delicate envelopes.

Judgment

by Judgment

Coolcat wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:20 pm
Just tried to glue my first set of tubulars after lots of YouTube and forum research on how to do it.

Tires: Second hand Vittoria Corsas that had been taped by the previous owner.
Rims: Second hand carbon rims with residue from tape and normal glue.
Glue: Mastik One

Residue removal from both tires and rims. I cleaned the rims using white spirit, acetone, citrus degreaser and used a hair dryer to warm up the glue and peeled. The tires were even worse to clean. I used elbow grease and hair drying, a file, sand paper, steel wool. The whole process of cleaning took three or four days on and off.

I put on two thin rim coatings with 24 h in between. These coatings looked very nice. I put on two coats on the tire base tapes, probably too much. Bumpy in some places. In all, I used half a can of Mastik One. After gluing the tires I stretched them on some old clincher rims.

First I tried to glue the rear tire. I put a thin layer of glue on the rim and stretched the tire onto the rim. The tire wasn't centered, so I manipulated it back and forth, and the tacky glue seemed to loosen from the rim and tire. Poor bonding. I didn't manage to get the tire straight enough. Gave up and took the tire off.

Then I tried the front tire. Same process, but I tried to pay more attention to centering. No luck. And there was a huge bump by the valve which didn't seat into the valve hole. Removed the tire.

The rim beds look horrible with lots of glue chunks.

So now I have two rims and tires full of glue, what a job it will be to clean it off again. I don't have the patience to try this again (and again and again), so I will buy some tubular tape and just accept the compromise.

What a pain in the a**
I am very much in the same boat. I have a couple tubular wheelsets and finally decided to learn how to glue new tubs on myself. I broke a spoke from a wheel and planned to swap the almost new tub to another wheel.

Process and (my labour hours) so far:

1) Watching guide videos and reading about the glueing process (4 hours)
2) Removing tires from both wheels (1 hour)
3) Removing previous owner's tubular tape from wheel rim (2 hours)
4) Removing previous owner's tubular glue that was hidden under tape on wheel rim (4 hours)
5) Sourcing mastik one from LBS (2 hours)
6) Coating rim and tub with fresh mastik, cure 24h (0,5 hours)
7) Applying a second coat of mastik, cure 24h (0,5 hours)
8 ) Applying a third coat on the rim, mounting the tire (0,5 hours)
9) Trying to center the tire with no luck (0,5 hours)
10) Removing the tire from the rim and trying to re-mount it instantly with a thin layer of mastik (0,5 hours)
11) Trying to center the tire again with no luck (0,5 hours)
12) Removing the tire from the rim and cleaning the rim of all the glue (2 hours)
13) Coating rim with fresh mastik, cure 24h (0,5 hours)
14) Applying a second coat of mastik, cure 24h (0,5 hours)
15) Applying a third coat on the rim, mounting the tire (0,5 hours)
16) Centering the tire and inflating to 50psi (0,5 hours)
17) Researching tubular mounting on the internet (4 hours)

Total: 24 hours of labour

So now I have a wheel that has a tub glued on somewhat straight sideways. It sits very deep on the rim bed at couple points, making it radially uncentered. The valve area isn't the problem here. I heard that riding it should make it better. I'll give it a test drive tomorrow, wish me luck!

To summarize, I enjoy applying the glue and removing old gunks. It's the centering part that's infuriating! I'll probably try the water method for the next couple wheels. And if the tub that I glued on today won't straighten out by riding, I'll start the process once more from square one. I probably should remove old glue from the tub also. Is there a good method for this?

jlok

by jlok

Anyone tried this kind of glue removal roller?
https://www.biketone.cz/glue-remover-ro ... d2263.html
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

dj97223

by dj97223

Judgment wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 6:09 pm
Coolcat wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:20 pm
Just tried to glue my first set of tubulars after lots of YouTube and forum research on how to do it.

Tires: Second hand Vittoria Corsas that had been taped by the previous owner.
Rims: Second hand carbon rims with residue from tape and normal glue.
Glue: Mastik One

Residue removal from both tires and rims. I cleaned the rims using white spirit, acetone, citrus degreaser and used a hair dryer to warm up the glue and peeled. The tires were even worse to clean. I used elbow grease and hair drying, a file, sand paper, steel wool. The whole process of cleaning took three or four days on and off.

I put on two thin rim coatings with 24 h in between. These coatings looked very nice. I put on two coats on the tire base tapes, probably too much. Bumpy in some places. In all, I used half a can of Mastik One. After gluing the tires I stretched them on some old clincher rims.

First I tried to glue the rear tire. I put a thin layer of glue on the rim and stretched the tire onto the rim. The tire wasn't centered, so I manipulated it back and forth, and the tacky glue seemed to loosen from the rim and tire. Poor bonding. I didn't manage to get the tire straight enough. Gave up and took the tire off.

Then I tried the front tire. Same process, but I tried to pay more attention to centering. No luck. And there was a huge bump by the valve which didn't seat into the valve hole. Removed the tire.

The rim beds look horrible with lots of glue chunks.

So now I have two rims and tires full of glue, what a job it will be to clean it off again. I don't have the patience to try this again (and again and again), so I will buy some tubular tape and just accept the compromise.

What a pain in the a**
I am very much in the same boat. I have a couple tubular wheelsets and finally decided to learn how to glue new tubs on myself. I broke a spoke from a wheel and planned to swap the almost new tub to another wheel.

Process and (my labour hours) so far:

1) Watching guide videos and reading about the glueing process (4 hours)
2) Removing tires from both wheels (1 hour)
3) Removing previous owner's tubular tape from wheel rim (2 hours)
4) Removing previous owner's tubular glue that was hidden under tape on wheel rim (4 hours)
5) Sourcing mastik one from LBS (2 hours)
6) Coating rim and tub with fresh mastik, cure 24h (0,5 hours)
7) Applying a second coat of mastik, cure 24h (0,5 hours)
8 ) Applying a third coat on the rim, mounting the tire (0,5 hours)
9) Trying to center the tire with no luck (0,5 hours)
10) Removing the tire from the rim and trying to re-mount it instantly with a thin layer of mastik (0,5 hours)
11) Trying to center the tire again with no luck (0,5 hours)
12) Removing the tire from the rim and cleaning the rim of all the glue (2 hours)
13) Coating rim with fresh mastik, cure 24h (0,5 hours)
14) Applying a second coat of mastik, cure 24h (0,5 hours)
15) Applying a third coat on the rim, mounting the tire (0,5 hours)
16) Centering the tire and inflating to 50psi (0,5 hours)
17) Researching tubular mounting on the internet (4 hours)

Total: 24 hours of labour

So now I have a wheel that has a tub glued on somewhat straight sideways. It sits very deep on the rim bed at couple points, making it radially uncentered. The valve area isn't the problem here. I heard that riding it should make it better. I'll give it a test drive tomorrow, wish me luck!

To summarize, I enjoy applying the glue and removing old gunks. It's the centering part that's infuriating! I'll probably try the water method for the next couple wheels. And if the tub that I glued on today won't straighten out by riding, I'll start the process once more from square one. I probably should remove old glue from the tub also. Is there a good method for this?
I admire your perseverance. I suspect the "radially uncentered" problem -- which I assume means the tire is not perfectly round when glued and mounted -- resulted from one of the following. First, over or under inflation before installing. It should have enough air to give it some shape but not so much that the valve wants to roll outward. Having the right pressure helps more even installation. Second, inadequate stretching when mounting the tire -- depending on the tire brand, you may need to pull more or less to stretch the tire so that it settles evenly, but it almost always requires a fair bit of effort. Third, inadequate force on the when once fully inflated after mounting -- use a lot of weight to roll the wheel/tire along the floor.

Some of this just takes some trial and error / experience.
“If you save your breath I feel a man like you can manage it. And if you don't manage it, you'll die. Only slowly, very slowly, old friend.”

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

282 pages on how to do a simple job ?
I mean lest's face it, how hard can it be when everything you need to know has been explained over and over again in the first 20 pages or so?
Sure, it takes some experience but after that?

Come on guys you can do better than that. :)

Cheers, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

LMCuba

by LMCuba

This is kind of awkward. I ordered some Mastik Pro and a few jerseys in one order. When I received it, a bit of the glue had leaked and caught on one of the jerseys. Is there any way to safely get rid of the glue on the jersey? It has dried and I was able to get some of it off, but not all of it. Should I return the jersey and the glue?

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Clearly those goods were badly packed.
To remove rim cement you can try a petrol soaked cloth and rub that on the stain until it's gone.

Otherwise you can of course return the goods, it's not your fault after all.

Cheers, ;)
Last edited by fdegrove on Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LMCuba

by LMCuba

fdegrove wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:18 pm
Hi,

Clearly those goods were badly packed.
To remove rim cement you can try a petrol soaked cloth and rub that on the stain until it's gone.

Otherwiseyou can of course return the goods, it's not ypur fault after all.

Cheers, ;)
Thank you! Yes, I think I'll return them.

blaugrana

by blaugrana

jlok wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 7:13 pm
Anyone tried this kind of glue removal roller?
https://www.biketone.cz/glue-remover-ro ... d2263.html
I haven't tried this one, but it might be worth trying. In my experience a drill with a wire brush attachment has worked very well to clean rims in five minutes. That was for aluminium rims, though, so maybe with carbon it makes sense to use something softer like this.

charirider

by charirider

Hi fellow tubular weenies,
Sandpaper of what grit you use for rim prep?
Is #320 ok?
2018 Cannondale SuperSix EVO 2 rim size 56 (raw stripped) 6.9kg
2014 Bridgestone Anchor CX6 Equipe size 55 (cyclocross) 9.8kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

What is that rim made of ? Is it brand new ?

Cheers, ;)