Glueing tubulars [the tubular thread]

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
charirider

by charirider

fdegrove wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 7:47 pm
Hi,

What is that rim made of ? Is it brand new ?

Cheers, ;)
Zipp 202, used

Oh, I forgot, I want to use Effetto Mariposa Carogna tape. Is sanding prep required for the tape to stick better? From the marks found on the very edge of the rim, it was prepared with sanding earlier.
Or in case of a tape, should I smooth the gluing surface instead?
2018 Cannondale SuperSix EVO 2 rim size 56 (raw stripped) 6.9kg
2014 Bridgestone Anchor CX6 Equipe size 55 (cyclocross) 9.8kg

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Since it's a used wheel I'd just remove all rim cement residues, degrease and then put the tape on.

Cheers, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

charirider

by charirider

fdegrove wrote:
Mon Oct 17, 2022 9:14 pm
Hi,

Since it's a used wheel I'd just remove all rim cement residues, degrease and then put the tape on.

Cheers, ;)
Thank you for your response!
Also, if I want to re-glue existing tubular to a rim, both with glue left, can I just apply one thin coat of glue on top of existing one on both tire and rim to, so old one melts and re glue it as is, or should I remove both? Glue is Panaracer cement.
Last edited by charirider on Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

In a nutshell, yes. The old layer won't "melt" but will be reactivated by the new layer of rim cement.
If you do not know the brand of rim cement that has been used on the rim then I'd remove it completely and treat the rim as if it was new.

Cheers, ;)

charirider

by charirider

Hi all,
I want to try taping my tubulars, and was adviced to use EMC tape, but its pricey, so I found this chinese pate of a brand muozi with Y.Y. Production written at the back side of the roll:
https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/yotijar-4 ... 406&sr=8-7
Does anyone here have any experience with this generic chinese tape?

UPDATE: Got EMC tape in the end.
Decided not to cheap on safety!
Last edited by charirider on Sat Jan 07, 2023 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aress

by Aress

i'm considering getting a tubular set of wheels, is there any difference in rolling resistance between taping and gluing?

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Check this thread:

viewtopic.php?t=38483

There are a few more of these on this forum alone.

Cheers, ;)

Catagory6

by Catagory6

Aress wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:03 pm
i'm considering getting a tubular set of wheels, is there any difference in rolling resistance between taping and gluing?
my first foray into tubulars, i bought a set of the Bora One 35
i read as much as possible about your query
i decided on the Mariposa tape and Veloflex Arenberg, and went to my local shop where they did all the work for me
now, i don't know if the tape was applied incorrectly or what, but when i went for my first ride on my new set of tubular wheels... well, i was ready to put them up on ebay.
it felt like i was riding through 1/8" of mud
i couldn't figure out where all the hype was coming from. they were FAR worse than any wheelset i've ever ridden. worse than i could ever imagine a wheelset could ride.
i turned around after about 3 miles, because i couldn't maintain the power needed to move the bike forward.
it was THAT bad...

thankfully i gave the mastik one a go
again, maybe the tape wasn't applied correctly. i dunno?

i have my own question that has probably been answered already in this thread, but can a SLIGHTLY lumpy glue job have an affect on ride quality? making the bike feel more sluggish?

jlok

by jlok

Catagory6 wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:58 am
Aress wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:03 pm
my first foray into tubulars, i bought a set of the Bora One 35
i read as much as possible about your query
i decided on the Mariposa tape and Veloflex Arenberg, and went to my local shop where they did all the work for me
now, i don't know if the tape was applied incorrectly or what, but when i went for my first ride on my new set of tubular wheels... well, i was ready to put them up on ebay.
it felt like i was riding through 1/8" of mud
i couldn't figure out where all the hype was coming from. they were FAR worse than any wheelset i've ever ridden. worse than i could ever imagine a wheelset could ride.
i turned around after about 3 miles, because i couldn't maintain the power needed to move the bike forward.
it was THAT bad...

thankfully i gave the mastik one a go
again, maybe the tape wasn't applied correctly. i dunno?

i have my own question that has probably been answered already in this thread, but can a SLIGHTLY lumpy glue job have an affect on ride quality? making the bike feel more sluggish?
I have the Bora 35 Disc Brake with Challenge Strada Ultra 27mm glued with Mastik One (single layer each on base tape and rim bed). They feel great to ride definitely unlike riding through mud... interested to see if it's really the tape or some other issues...
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

charirider

by charirider

Just a quick report of my study on using tubular tape.
I am on 202 tubulars, of 23mm external width and about 18mm gluing area.
First I tried Effetto Mariposa carogna s/m tape (20mm one), and made a mess while was mounting tubular. Tape is too thick, so couldn't get my well-ridden conti comps on, tape shifted and made a glue mess.
Then, I tried 18mm Velox Jantex14, and it went smoothly, although some glue excess came on sides, which I carefully removed with plactic tire lever flat side.
I think my rims are too narrow, so I will try some 16mm tape, even with small sized FM carogna I should be ok.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

The Carogna tape shifted on the rim? Was the tape less than 2 years old (since manufacture - keep in mind if could have been sitting at the store for a long time)?* Did you pull it taught as you were applying the tape to the rim? Did you press the tape down onto the rim after applying it? Did you apply the tape in 21 deg C (70 deg F) or warmer temperature? Was the rim clean and free of all glue and old tape before you applied the tape to the rim? I do all these things and never had a problem mounting Conti Competition 22 or 25 ( I have had difficulty getting Conti Competition onto the strertching rim prior to stretching, but never a problem mounting with Carogna after the tires had several days of high pressure inflation on the stretching rim).

I use 16 mm S Carogna tape on Lightweight Ventoux (Gipfelsturm). I use 20 mm SM Carogna tape on Bora Ultra 35. In both cases, tape gives perfect side to side coverage, and no trimming of tape width is required.

I don't know how you get a mess using Carogna glue. Are you saying that the tape shifted on the rim, thereby exposing glue from the tape on the rim?

* I have suggested to Effetto Mariposa that the manufacture date be added to Carogna tape. But they have not done so. For that reason, I buy Carogna tape direct from Effetto Mariposa so that I can be confident it newly manufactured when I bought it, and therefore I can be confident I am applying it within the 2 year shelf life prior to application.

jlok

by jlok

Hi all tubular guru, what is the most grippy (in wet) 26-28mm tubs that you have tried? Corsa Control is the one in my very limited experience. I prefer a cotton case as it is easier to mount, no need to pre-stretch.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

Geoff

by Geoff

Personally, I am a big fan of the Dugast Paris-Roubaix, which I am running in the seta 27s. Still a tried-and-true wet weather tread pattern.

Mcdeez

by Mcdeez

Hi to you all, im new to the tubular world

Im regluing my tire, i cleaned the rim and now i can glue back the tire like this? Or i have to remove more glue?

Thanks
PXL_20230326_143219055.jpg
PXL_20230326_143210564.jpg
Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Geoff

by Geoff

In my experience, a basetape that looks like that still glues-up just fine. The reason that the glue has stayed on the basetape is that it really adhered well in the first place. Personally, I would add a layer of fresh glue to the base tape, let it dry overnight, then apply another, thin, layer just before you install it.

As an aside, in your last pic, it looks like the basetape itself is coming-off the tire? Is that correct? That would be a bigger issue than the glue and I would recommend resolving that, first.