Tubular Repair

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
KCookie

by KCookie

Many thanks for the reply Calnago.
Ok I now see, maybe I've just wasted my money then. I can only try and see if the cement fixes my puncture, if not its there for any situations like yours.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Are you running tubeless, or is the cut really large? If the cut is really large, I don’t think there’s much I’d be relying on to kind of completely repair the cut to be able to withstand the pressures involved. At some point it’s just a “Damn I hate when this happens” scenario and you have to bin it.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KCookie

by KCookie

It's a Veloflex Extreme tubular tyre. Only a few hundred km with approx 5mm cut in the side wall.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

1415chris

by 1415chris

In that case I'd open it up, sew it up and apply a patch from inside to support the stitching. And if the inner tube is compromised, you can patch it up as well in one go.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

^Yeah, this is probably your best option if you want to try to salvage the tire. Kind of like putting a boot on the inside of a clincher between tire and tube, except way more effort. Then you could use the neoprene sealant to try and fill the gap from the cut on the external side.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

bcmf

by bcmf

I sliced a Conti Comp PRO LTD aftera couple of hundred kms.
Dont know what I went over but right on the border of the sidewall up into the thread.
Really didnt want to bin it so did some research and ended up with loctite 401 (https://ie.farnell.com/loctite/401-5g/a ... /dp/827940).
Seemed to really nicely seal up the tear and hopefully combing with the small 'boot' on the inside it will hold.....NOW THE CAVEAT: I havent actually ridden the tyre since as I replaced it with a standard comp while I was repairing it.
I will take a picture of it tomorrow and link it.

3Pio

by 3Pio

Yesterday a piece of glass cut my Continental Sprinter and got a puncture.... On the road i put some Tufo Extreme Sealant, and hole sealed... So i was able to ride back (i was just 7 km from home).. Found on the way proper pump, put correct pressure and decided to continue my ride... 70 km later, all good...

When i get home, i cleaned the area, and put some flexible superglue.. Today another 40 km and still no problems... It was a problem a little bit that valve was clogged, but today before the ride i removed, and cleaned dry sealant.. For this clogging helped that puncture is near valve, but after cleaning hope it wont be a problem anymore... Anyway, i wont go on ride without my spare tubular when i ride this wheels...

addictR1

by addictR1

damn.. seems like yesterday i was reading about punctures and what not and this morning ride.. got a puncture but turned out to be a slice. tufo extreme kinda sealed it where i would have at least some PSI to be able to ride as far as possible before wifey came to pick me up.

woudl this be repairable? maybe use left over tubular casing or base tape to patch from inside and then use neoprene contact cement on outside?
Attachments
hole.JPG

bcmf

by bcmf

Thats a fairly deep wound.
If the sealant has done its job then its worth a try.
If the sealant has failed then you wont be able to repair the tube and unless you can replace the tube yourself chances are Tire Alert wont touch that.

bcmf

by bcmf

'tis the season......after saturdays club spin I noticed my rear arenberg was flat. Had replaced the valve core prior to the spin but nope heard the sound of air escaping.
A mate was doing a long 300km solo spin on sat as well and he rang me to say he has to abandon half way as he rode through some glass in the rain and ripped both his VF Corsa clinchers.

Master-Ti

by Master-Ti

My several years of good luck and puncture-free riding with Veloflex Arenberg's ran out this weekend. I punctured a less than one month old tire, and it looks like something very small, perhaps a nail or staple, as the puncture hole looks like a pinhole on the tread rather than a cut.
Being a tiny puncture and not cut, I thought this would be easy to fix with sealant. I put in about 30ml of Stan's, but unfortunately this has only converted the tire to a slow leak, flatting from 100psi to nothing in about an hour. I was thinking about trying Orange Seal given the positive reviews earlier on this thread.
My question is what to do with the Stan's currently in the tire. Should this simly be sucked out with a syringe before adding Orange Seal, or does this need to be washed out somehow? Are Stan's and Orange Seal compatible within the same latex tube? I dont' relish the thought of opening and repairing the tubular if I don't have to.
Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

addictR1

by addictR1

bcmf wrote:Thats a fairly deep wound.
If the sealant has failed then you wont be able to repair the tube and unless you can replace the tube yourself chances are Tire Alert wont touch that.
I use tufo extreme and held up for a while. May need to open up and patch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

@Masterti: given that it’s a very small puncture in an most new Arrenberg, I would think the sealant should take care of that quite easily, be it Stans, Orange Seal, or anybthing else. But perhaps you have one of those tiny bits of wire (from the steel belts of worn car tires on the road), that has embedded itself and you quite haven’t got it all out. Or a small piece of ragged glass. For this you need some really good sunlight or other light and really inspect every cut or area in the tire where something might have lodged itself. Try spreading it apart so the light with reflect in whatever it is (glass or steel wire). If you spot something then go digging with whatever implement works, down to a sewing needle if you have to.
Failing finding anything obtrusive, or maybe I should have said this first, is to check the valve core on the tire itself as it’s quite easy for these to come a bit loose if they weren’t tight enough to begin with. I’m assuming you have a little plastic core removal tool... just take a second to make sure there tight or that the valve stem is not bent. And don’t forget the water dunk... a sink with nice and still cool water and a super slow steady section by section check for leaks etc. as maybe there is an embedded piece of wire or glass (of there is something), in a different area other than where the obvious puncture was. That’s what I’d do first anyway... since it doesn’t seem to be sealing up. I suppose you could try adding more sealant, don’t know that I’d worry to much about mixing them, but if you feel better about sucking what Stan’s you can out of there first to make way for a different sealant, then fine. But given that it’s small and slow leaking, then I think I’d be concentrating on finding the offending piece of whatever it is that is preventing a good seal from occurring. If all that still doesn’t succeed, then sometimes we just have to pay penance to the gods of cycling karma and move on, as it’s just not worth any more time and frustration.

KCookie

by KCookie

1415chris wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:50 pm
In that case I'd open it up, sew it up and apply a patch from inside to support the stitching. And if the inner tube is compromised, you can patch it up as well in one go.
Wouldn't have a clue where to start or how to do it, and to be honest wouldn't want to do it. I would fail badly. 😁
I could see if there's anyone in oz that can fix it, or just bin it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bcmf

by bcmf

addictR1 wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:21 pm
bcmf wrote:Thats a fairly deep wound.
I use tufo extreme and held up for a while. May need to open up and patch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Go for it,
But with tufo you wont be able to let the tyre go completley flat for any lenght of time eg over the winter as the tufo will glue the letex tube together so if it was me..yeah patch it up and use it till it goes again then bin it.