Tubulars in 2023

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
Aress

by Aress

Hi Guys,

I'm in the middle of purchasing a new wheelset since i want something new for this coming racing season.
I mostly do roadraces here in France, usualy 120 to 150K with 2000 to 3000 of elevation and most of them are rolling hills with a duration of 10 to 12min

Beeing French, my first choice beeing corima WS 58 clincher since i like the feeling of deep wheels. Fortunatly my local LBS had a pair in stock and i had the chance to try them before i baught them. They are really stiff and much nicer than my curent farsports wheels but the weight beeing at 1900g grams doesnt outweight the benefits for me. My curent wheels are 1300g for the same depht

I making this post because now i'm considering the tubular version of the WS 47, a bit shalower still heavy at 1530g but with Corsa speeds i would save another 200g compared to a clincher set up wich would make it a similar weight to my farsports

My concern is. Will i lose in performance (aero of the tire+rim interface and Crr) compared to a clincher set up and would it be more judicious to save my money for something else.

Thanks guys, waiting for your response

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mocs123

by Mocs123

Personally, I wouldn't buy tubular wheels in 2023, as most of the pro teams have stopped using tubulars, so development has all but stopped on faster tubular tires and I imagine tubular tires will become harder and harder to find in the future.
2015 Wilier Zero.7 Rim - 6.37kg
2020 Trek Emonda SLR-7 Disc - 6.86kg
2023 Specialized SL7 - 7.18kg

nickf

by nickf

I was just looking at building up some tub wheels. Just sold my last set around 6 months ago and went back to clinchers. But I do miss having a sub 1200g wheelset. I can see tubulars going away before we see rim brake frames completly dissapear. So I kinda put my tubular desires on hold. Some of these pros are back to running clinchers and latex tubes.

3Pio

by 3Pio

nickf wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:35 pm
I was just looking at building up some tub wheels. Just sold my last set around 6 months ago and went back to clinchers. But I do miss having a sub 1200g wheelset. I can see tubulars going away before we see rim brake frames completly dissapear. So I kinda put my tubular desires on hold. Some of these pros are back to running clinchers and latex tubes.

Tubulars are still best system ever made especially i u like lightweight system, which is safe and good riding characteristics.. Orange seal etc make the system almost as good as tubeless without any flaws of tubeless.. Im almost 90% of time on my tubular wheelsets, on the rides i bring small bottle of sealant if that dont fix it than spare tubular Tufo which roll almost like regular spare tire.. So having possability to have spare whole tubular make this system for me even better then tubeless..

Now considering the fact that tubular can be obsolete in the future, im not sure that they will be gone in total.. And the fact that tire manufacturers wont create new versions is not a problem since improvement is up to one point, after that is marketing.. In this moment there allready very good tubular tires and dont see the reason to have it "better"...

Unfortunately is true that maybe there will be less choice or they'll become more expensive.. But this also can be fixed by stocking like 10 tubular tires at a time (or calculate how much u ride and have it for next 10 years).. I know that tires have their shelf life, but they can last safely for 10 years if they are stocked properly... With this approach u can buy wheelsets now, stock new tires for next 10 years and u are ready for next 50000km at least maybe more..

And u'll admit that if u ride that much never mind if after 10 years u cant find easy tires... Good thing regarding this is u can find really cheap tubulars if know where to look.. For example there was recently LightWeight Continental Competition for just under 40 eur per tire...

BTW, i stocked my self even spare pair of tubular wheelset still havint them brand new in the box as i really like tubular system as best.......

ome rodriguez

by ome rodriguez

I feel faster on tubulars than clinchers and tubeless especially on climbs. My race wheels are Zipp 303 Firecrest Disc Tubulars.

r1der

by r1der

Theoretically you can buy modern tubular rim-brake race wheels from shimano. The 50mm height is also a new design and not something from the past.
Practically, I have not seen them in stock anywhere.

https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/product/ ... -TU-R.html

Aress

by Aress

My plan was to use the new powercups from michelin, Cycles et forme tested them as fast as the clincher version. So at least we have tubulars for the futur years.

Whats really bugging me is the aero of the wheels

Mcdeez

by Mcdeez

3Pio wrote:
nickf wrote:

Tubulars are still best system ever made especially i u like lightweight system, which is safe and good riding characteristics.. Orange seal etc make the system almost as good as tubeless without any flaws of tubeless.. Im almost 90% of time on my tubular wheelsets, on the rides i bring small bottle of sealant if that dont fix it than spare tubular Tufo which roll almost like regular spare tire.. So having possability to have spare whole tubular make this system for me even better then tubeless..

Now considering the fact that tubular can be obsolete in the future, im not sure that they will be gone in total.. And the fact that tire manufacturers wont create new versions is not a problem since improvement is up to one point, after that is marketing.. In this moment there allready very good tubular tires and dont see the reason to have it "better"...

Unfortunately is true that maybe there will be less choice or they'll become more expensive.. But this also can be fixed by stocking like 10 tubular tires at a time (or calculate how much u ride and have it for next 10 years).. I know that tires have their shelf life, but they can last safely for 10 years if they are stocked properly... With this approach u can buy wheelsets now, stock new tires for next 10 years and u are ready for next 50000km at least maybe more..

And u'll admit that if u ride that much never mind if after 10 years u cant find easy tires... Good thing regarding this is u can find really cheap tubulars if know where to look.. For example there was recently LightWeight Continental Competition for just under 40 eur per tire...

BTW, i stocked my self even spare pair of tubular wheelset still havint them brand new in the box as i really like tubular system as best.......
Having light tubular wheels but bringing a spare tire and a bottle of sealant in case of a flat...it doesn't make you more light!

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

jlok

by jlok

Cash is light. Bring cash.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

3Pio

by 3Pio

Mcdeez wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:15 pm
3Pio wrote:
nickf wrote:

Having light tubular wheels but bringing a spare tire and a bottle of sealant in case of a flat...it doesn't make you more light!

More than obviosly that probably u did not used tubulars in everyday use... SO i'll try to clarify this...

In about 50000km of usin tubulars i had to use spare tires only twice.. One of that time i would probably reach home just putting some pressure on every 10km's.. But i prefer to bring spare tubular tires, as its weight just 130gm almost same as regular spare tube...

And few times bringing this spare tubular saved my non tubular friends when they had totaly destroyed tire (yes, i mount this spare tubular on my friend clincher wheel to be able to get home)

Also there is difference if this weight is packet in my saddle bag or rotatinal weight... But anyway i dont care about this added weight..

But at least u have options with tubulars:

1. U want lightest setup - Dont bring sealant, dont bring spare tire, use a phone

2. U want light rotational setup and some safety - Dont put sealant in tire, but have a small bottle with u (30ml is ok) and use the sealant only in the case of puncture (90% of time is working perfectly)

3. U want some safety, dont care about rotational weight - Put sealant in the tire as precausation and just ride...

To continue this, just use ur imagination and make combination u prerfer...

BTW, how many combination like this u can make using Tubeless?

Maddie

by Maddie

Options 1-3 are perfectly possible on a TL setup too.

1, add sealant when installing/seating the TL tire and remove remaining sealant the next day. Like that, you will maybe use 5g of sealant per tire. You could also not use any sealant at all. Depending on rim/tire combination, the amount of air that you lose between rides will be similar to your latex tube in your tubular tire.
2, exactly the same with TL, see above
3, exactly the same with TL

Instead of a 130g spare tubular tire, you just bring your dynaplug tool along (maybe 25g?). They seal holes until 4-5mm.

Mcdeez

by Mcdeez

Maddie wrote:Options 1-3 are perfectly possible on a TL setup too.

1, add sealant when installing/seating the TL tire and remove remaining sealant the next day. Like that, you will maybe use 5g of sealant per tire. You could also not use any sealant at all. Depending on rim/tire combination, the amount of air that you lose between rides will be similar to your latex tube in your tubular tire.
2, exactly the same with TL, see above
3, exactly the same with TL

Instead of a 130g spare tubular tire, you just bring your dynaplug tool along (maybe 25g?). They seal holes until 4-5mm.
Yes, or bring a light clincher tube with you and jsut put a tube in if sealant don't seal!

Mcdeez

by Mcdeez

3Pio wrote:
Mcdeez wrote:
3Pio wrote:
nickf wrote:

More than obviosly that probably u did not used tubulars in everyday use... SO i'll try to clarify this...

In about 50000km of usin tubulars i had to use spare tires only twice.. One of that time i would probably reach home just putting some pressure on every 10km's.. But i prefer to bring spare tubular tires, as its weight just 130gm almost same as regular spare tube...

And few times bringing this spare tubular saved my non tubular friends when they had totaly destroyed tire (yes, i mount this spare tubular on my friend clincher wheel to be able to get home)

Also there is difference if this weight is packet in my saddle bag or rotatinal weight... But anyway i dont care about this added weight..

1. U want lightest setup - Dont bring sealant, dont bring spare tire, use a phone

2. U want light rotational setup and some safety - Dont put sealant in tire, but have a small bottle with u (30ml is ok) and use the sealant only in the case of puncture (90% of time is working perfectly)

3. U want some safety, dont care about rotational weight - Put sealant in the tire as precausation and just ride...

Tubless have the same amount of combination or even more.

I'm tempted to buy used tubular carbon wheels for my climbing bike, what should i inspect on a tubular wheel?

And another question, what do you use, glue or tape?

I find the tape idea is great but not sure if it holds the tire in place safely

3Pio

by 3Pio

Mcdeez wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 2:12 pm
3Pio wrote:
Mcdeez wrote:
3Pio wrote:

Tubless have the same amount of combination or even more.

I'm tempted to buy used tubular carbon wheels for my climbing bike, what should i inspect on a tubular wheel?

And another question, what do you use, glue or tape?

I find the tape idea is great but not sure if it holds the tire in place safely

I did not know that there is Tubeless spare tire weighting 130gm.. Also did not know that there is Tubeless possible to ride without any sealant to save some rotational weight...

But anyway seem that u have ur ideal choice of wheelset/tire combination.. Just go tubeless...

For ur last question, Im using Vittoria Mastik glue.. Dont see a single reason why should i use tape instead of glue (process of glueing is not time consumin as it maybe look like, and is not a problem when u get used of it...)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nickf

by nickf

I ran tubulars for years and all I had on my road bikes. I eventually switched to Carogna Tubular Tape. Tape is THE way to go. Never an issue with adhesion. Pull off the worn tire, re-tape it, and mount the new tire. No layers of glue, no smell, no messy brushes.

I would carry a CO2 and a small bottle of sealant. Sealant got me home a couple of times in the past and also sealed it until the tire was worn out. Once I moved I got 2 unrepairable punctures fairly close together and had to call my wife to pick me up both times. After that, I was back on clinchers. I never carried a spare tire, defeats the purpose if you ask me. I will probably not go back to tubulars. I do miss the weight and feel of them though, they ride so well.