Best Tubular for Training (2023)

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
aeroberg

by aeroberg

Got a bike that came with Campagnolo Bora Ultra 50mm Tubular and want to use them this winter. Looking for the best tubular tires to train through winter base training (Southern Hemisphere winter, no snow, ice, dry but dark at 5am).

These are my requirements what I am looking for
- 28mm tubular (rules out Continentals)
- Puncture Resistant
- Durable 3000-5000km (Average about 1000km a month and ideally want it to last 4-5 months)
- Tan wall

Durability and Puncture Resistance is the most important. I have narrowed down to a few options

- Velofelx Pro Gum Sidewall 28mm
- Tufo Hi-Composite Carbon 28mm
- Vittoria Corsa Control Graphene 2.0 28mm - (not sure about durability)
- Challenge Paris Roubaix/Strada 28mm

Will move to a Vittoria Corsa for race season after

Which one do you suggest or any others you can think of?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jlok

by jlok

In my experience Corsa Control G2.0 is better than Challenge. My Challenge Seta Ultra 27mm measured 26.5 at best, easy puncher, and somewhat irrlevant, very slippery when wet. Wheelset is Bora One 35 DB Tubular.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

mrlobber

by mrlobber

Specialized Hell of the North 28mm tubular.
Got almost 7k km out of the rear before it was destroyed in a crash (but it had sealant already inside to seal one puncture, though). The front is still good.

From the options you listed... a toss between Vittoria and Veloflex, I suspect Vittoria could be more durable and definitely better grip.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

aeroberg

by aeroberg

mrlobber wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:47 pm
Specialized Hell of the North 28mm tubular.
Got almost 7k km out of the rear before it was destroyed in a crash (but it had sealant already inside to seal one puncture, though). The front is still good.

From the options you listed... a toss between Vittoria and Veloflex, I suspect Vittoria could be more durable and definitely better grip.
Wow the Specialized Hell of the North looks good. Hopefully they have it in my country. I see it for $100 on the Specialized website

aeroberg

by aeroberg

Anyone know what mileage can one expect from the Vittoria Control?

LouisN

by LouisN

FWIW:
I ride almost exclusively on tubulars (95%+ of the km's).
I've been for more than 15 years.
Spring and fall in Canada have their downsides, as the poor quality of the tarmac.
My best training tubulars have always been my best tubulars: Conti Comps 25 mm, or Veloflex Pro Tour (available in 28 mm).
Everytime I wanted to try some "training" tubular (Vittoria Control, Vittoria Rubino Pro G+), they never lasted as long as a good tubular. With the exceptiion of Conti Sprinter 25 mm (not the gator version). These things last forever.
NOTE **: Punture resistant is not something that actually exists. Just thicker rubbar on the rolling band, or some fabric under the casing. But very often it stiffens the tub, and ends up being more prone to cuts. So for me the more supple the tubular, with the right pressure, does it.
My daughter was riding and racing in the Netherlands last year. Lots of pouring rain races on tough terrain, cobbles, etc... She puntured a few times, but had good luck and durability with S-Works Cotton 28 mm tubulars.
NOTE2: I added some latex sealant (Fast Cure Seam Sealant) on the orange sidewalls of the Veloflex Pro Tour, they keep their good looks for much longer.

Louis :)

Mcdeez

by Mcdeez

How you guys deal with flats on tubulars?

Im scared of buying tubulars because im not sure its that easy to fix

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

Very small bottle of orange sealant for me. When punctured, remove valve core, pour in sealant, rotate, inflate half and wait a while for it to work. Please do not rip off your tubular and dump it immediately with small punctures!

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

jlok

by jlok

I'd like to understand how the sealant works. Does it seal the latex tube or the whole casing? I tried that with my Corsa Control 1st gen but didn't work.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

It seals the latex inner, the outer casing is fine with puncture holes usually if they are tiny. Sometimes it needs a longer time to cure. There are numerous times when I have a puncture and it didn't seal within half an hour but overnight it was fine again and I could use it normally

Mcdeez

by Mcdeez

Kayrehn wrote:It seals the latex inner, the outer casing is fine with puncture holes usually if they are tiny. Sometimes it needs a longer time to cure. There are numerous times when I have a puncture and it didn't seal within half an hour but overnight it was fine again and I could use it normally

Ok,thanks

But on the road, it take long to seal i guess

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

aeroberg

by aeroberg

Would I be correct to say that 28mm tubular tyres have a higher chance of sealing with preventitive sealant as you running lower pressure?

LouisN

by LouisN

Some "new" members to tubulars would be advised to read the tubular thread. A gold mine of information on everything there is to know.
Like the following principle for example: Never use sealant in a tubular tire BEFORE a flat. Unless you are in a bike event.

Louis :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com