Alloy rim brake wheel set recommendations.

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
ColinB

by ColinB

Hi,

I'm currently running a 2015 Scott Addict. I have been using Hunt 34 carbon rims which I have been really impressed with. I would however like to pick up an alloy set as well. I'm looking at the Hunt Race Aero Wide wheel set which seems decent for the money and has moderate modern rim widths.
Do you guys have any other recommendations that you could point me towards. Wheelsets like the Campagnolo Zonda/Fulcrum Racing 3 seem a little narrow to my knowledge.
Any help would be much appreciated.

CustomMetal

by CustomMetal

I have some Aforce 33s on tune hubs which I love. Great training wheels on the hill climb bike
Allegra- Steel Lugs TBC
Aurelia- Stainless All Road 8.5kg
Bertha- TT 9.8kg
Perdita- Ti Turbo bike 8kg
Serenity- Ti Gravel 9.5kg/8.9kg
Verity- Ti Aero 8.2kg
Alya- Ti Climbing TBC

All weights with pedals,cages & garmin mount

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ColinB

by ColinB

I have spotted the Aforce rims on DCRwheels website here in the UK but recently have noticed they don't seem to stock/build with them.

whinefields

by whinefields

Take a look at the HED Ardenne wheels. They're 21mm internal, feature a black anodized rim, and if you order off the website, are currently 15 percent off.

Aress

by Aress

Rolf Prima Elan alpha

CustomMetal

by CustomMetal

ColinB wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:38 pm
I have spotted the Aforce rims on DCRwheels website here in the UK but recently have noticed they don't seem to stock/build with them.
Got mine from Strada wheels. Think Aforce went under but if you can get hold of the rims they build a great wheel.

Went under as there was enough demand for alu aero rim brake rims and why go alu on a disc wheel?
Allegra- Steel Lugs TBC
Aurelia- Stainless All Road 8.5kg
Bertha- TT 9.8kg
Perdita- Ti Turbo bike 8kg
Serenity- Ti Gravel 9.5kg/8.9kg
Verity- Ti Aero 8.2kg
Alya- Ti Climbing TBC

All weights with pedals,cages & garmin mount

whinefields

by whinefields

Aress wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:56 am
Rolf Prima Elan alpha
Do you have any experience with these? Always been tempted due to the light weight but no one seems to talk about them. Are they stiff?

C36

by C36

whinefields wrote:
Aress wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:56 am
Rolf Prima Elan alpha
Do you have any experience with these? Always been tempted due to the light weight but no one seems to talk about them. Are they stiff?
Veeeery flexy (tried a rim brake pair a year ago)

CyclingGiraffe

by CyclingGiraffe

Current Ksyrium S and Ksyrium SL are 19mm internal (putting them between the Campy/Fulcrum and HED equivalents), can usually be found at good prices, and are relatively light and stiff for their price points.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com