Campy Levante with road bike tires?

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
Leon

by Leon

I wondered of someone here uses Levante wheels with 30mm road bike tires? Campy themselfs advice it just for gravel tires from 38mm on. But I think I like these wheels under my endurance bike and use this with 30mm TLR tires. I already ride Zipp 303FC on my other road bike and they are also 25mm internally. So what I'm wondering is why I couldn't fit 30mm TLR tires to the Levantes. Of course I know I should take the carbon Shamals as they are advertised as endurance wheels but these are narrower and heavier.

I also can't find the maximum pressure that can be used. That could be a dealbreaker. On the 303FC it is max 72psi or 5 bar. Guess if I go 30mm TLR I should have sufficient pressure at 58 psi or 4 bar.
Ride bikes, not tanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

r1der

by r1der

Asking myself the same question. Does anyone know the technical reason for the 38mm tire min size recommendation?

Miller

by Miller

The reason for the limitation will likely be strict adherence to ETRO recommendations bearing in mind the potential for litigation in some regions if non-recommended tyre sizes are used.

Me, I would bung on the 30mm tyres without a worry.

CampagYOLO

by CampagYOLO

Miller wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:46 pm
The reason for the limitation will likely be strict adherence to ETRO recommendations bearing in mind the potential for litigation in some regions if non-recommended tyre sizes are used.

Me, I would bung on the 30mm tyres without a worry.
The E.T.R.T.O guidance states a 28mm tyre is fine with a 25mm internal rim width.
The Levante wheels have mini hooks as well for extra security.

It's probably just Campag trying to differentiate between the Levante's, Shamals and Boras by placing them in seperate specific catagories when the reality is that the Levante wheels would also make a fine road wheel.

I'd go ahead with the 30mm tyres. The real width of 30mm tyres on rims with a 25mm internal width is likely to be around 32mm.

DaveS

by DaveS

I use 28mm tubeless on 25mm IW hookless BTLOS rims with no problem. Michelins measure 31mm and I only need 52/55 psi according to the zipp pressure calculator. A 200 pound rider can still use pressures in the sixties.

Leon

by Leon

CampagYOLO wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:57 pm
The E.T.R.T.O guidance states a 28mm tyre is fine with a 25mm internal rim width.
The Levante wheels have mini hooks as well for extra security.
Info I can use. Thanks. For my do-it-all bike I will even go to 30mm. And the finish of these Campy wheels is just astonishing. And maintenance with cup/cone wheels is so easy. Therefore I prefer these wheels above another set of Zipp's. But just like the Zipp's I want to go wide and tubeless. And the Levantes have a closed rim bed so no tape needed.
Ride bikes, not tanks!

0x47af7d8f4dd51267

by 0x47af7d8f4dd51267

Leon wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:56 am
I wondered of someone here uses Levante wheels with 30mm road bike tires? Campy themselfs advice it just for gravel tires from 38mm on. But I think I like these wheels under my endurance bike and use this with 30mm TLR tires. I already ride Zipp 303FC on my other road bike and they are also 25mm internally. So what I'm wondering is why I couldn't fit 30mm TLR tires to the Levantes. Of course I know I should take the carbon Shamals as they are advertised as endurance wheels but these are narrower and heavier.

I also can't find the maximum pressure that can be used. That could be a dealbreaker. On the 303FC it is max 72psi or 5 bar. Guess if I go 30mm TLR I should have sufficient pressure at 58 psi or 4 bar.
FWIW, I am currently running Rene Herse Stampede Pass 32-622 tires on my Levante wheels without problems, with vittoria latex inner tubes. Pressure is 4 bars at the front and 4.5 bars at the back, system weight about 90 kg. For these tires, this pressure is as low as I'd be comfortable with on good tarmac. I would hesitate to run 32 mm tires tubeless on the Levantes, unless pumped up to the same pressures, let alone smaller tires. During mounting I used 6 bars of pressure using a compressor and kept them on that pressure for a while. No issues. 5 bars will be fine if you need them in your 30mm TLR tires.

morrisond

by morrisond

0x47af7d8f4dd51267 wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:19 pm
Leon wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:56 am

FWIW, I am currently running Rene Herse Stampede Pass 32-622 tires on my Levante wheels without problems, with vittoria latex inner tubes. Pressure is 4 bars at the front and 4.5 bars at the back, system weight about 90 kg. For these tires, this pressure is as low as I'd be comfortable with on good tarmac. I would hesitate to run 32 mm tires tubeless on the Levantes, unless pumped up to the same pressures, let alone smaller tires. During mounting I used 6 bars of pressure using a compressor and kept them on that pressure for a while. No issues. 5 bars will be fine if you need them in your 30mm TLR tires.
It's notable that on the new Hyperon they went back to normal size hooks to allow for higher pressure.

Leon

by Leon

Just to report back on my question. Thanks for your replies. I was planning to go Campy groupset and wheels. But I changed my mind and went Ultegra Di2 12spd. And I'm not so sure about the Levante wheels now.
Ride bikes, not tanks!

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

Have none of you looked at the technical manual for these wheels? It doesn't just give a loose range of tyre sizes, it specifically states that a 36C tyre is "Not Allowed" rather than "Not Recommended". Maybe they have done this because of the smaller hooks used?
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-03-24 at 08.54.22.png

Leon

by Leon

Of course. I know that. But I was looking into using tires that can be used for hookless rims and use these on the Levantes. Anyhow, forget about it. I might just buy another Zipp 303FC set. I just love the finish on the Campy wheels but like I said before, I find the Shamal's to heavy (and too narrow) and the Levantes are not within my wanted specs.
Ride bikes, not tanks!

Leon

by Leon

Just a quick note to update this topic.

I have decided not to take the Levante's but I went with a pair of Shamal Carbons for my 28mm tires. At least, I'm going to put these on my bike tomorrow. Got a good deal on the Shamals. They are spot on weight, 1585grams for the wheels without lockrings (12gr each) and valves.
Ride bikes, not tanks!

Leon

by Leon

So a bit of a weightpenalty comparing the Levantes to the Shamals but I'm only using these in the flatlands. And looking at the tires to use, no tubeless but tube type with tubolito, I might up even lighter that using a set of Levantes and tubeless tires. Reason for being scared of the extra weight was the review of Road.cc where the weight was measured somewhere on the 1675gr area.
Ride bikes, not tanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com