Fixing tubeless tire.

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
TLN

by TLN

Got a nasty puncture few rides back right around home, figured when I was back in garage. Plugged tire with small tire plug and left it for a while. Did one ride with lower pressure and it was okay.
Decided to shorten that plug from the outside and add some extra pressure yesterday and ended up with sealant all over my bike on side of the road. Another plug worked just fine and got me home.
How do I permanently fix tire though? Can I glue patch on the inside of the tubeless tire, and if there're any difference vs patching a tube?
His: Orbea Orca OMX
Hers: Cannondale Synapse HM Disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

warthog101

by warthog101

I have patched a couple of gravel tyres post a hole being punched through by a stick. Cleaned and lightly abraded the inside of the tyre. Larger tube patch and shoe goo on the outside of the tyre.
It has worked.
Haven't had to do so with a road tyre yet.

Indyx

by Indyx

Take the tire off, clean the surface, and glue a patch from the inside.

Patches from the inside can hold pressure to 100 psi, while plugs etc, seem to have trouble over 80 in my experience.

kode54

by kode54

This°
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

Pyotrump

by Pyotrump

TLN wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:33 pm
Got a nasty puncture few rides back right around home, figured when I was back in garage. Plugged tire with small tire plug and left it for a while. Did one ride with lower pressure and it was okay.
Decided to shorten that plug from the outside and add some extra pressure yesterday and ended up with sealant all over my bike on side of the road. Another plug worked just fine and got me home.
How do I permanently fix tire though? Can I glue patch on the inside of the tubeless tire, and if there're any difference vs patching a tube?

Yes you can but not with normal clincher tube patches.

Have you heard about a japanese company "Maruni"? It has experties in car tire patches for tubed, tuless, motorcycle, bus, almost any vehicle tire.

For roadies: Buy Maruni's MU-A0 34mm diameter patches and Super valkarn bond.
For MTB, Fat bike, gravel: MB-01 60mm patches with the same bond. or just MU-A0 34mm patches

Technically speaking, it's actually an overkill for a mere bicycle tire. But it's about your safety.

(A repair done on Schwalbe pro one 34c. The cut was 4mm long. Used maruni 60mm radial patch)

I patched 2 serious punctures with these and it was really successful. Could not feel any rolling difference after the repairs

alwaystimetotorque

by alwaystimetotorque

As above - patch the tyre. I highly recommend Rema Tip Top patches.

https://kis.rema-tiptop.net/catalog/RTT ... I0=5060160

Ebay is a good place to buy individual patches and the cement.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

I have used regular tube patches on my gravel tires with no ill effects. I clean out any accumulated sealant, scuff it with some sandpaper, then apply the glue and patch. I do use a tube inside the tire to make sure the patch is properly fixed to the tire (I'll usually let it sit in the tire for 12 hours) then deflate the tire, remove the tube and air it back up as normal. Personally, if I need anything larger than the big patch in my patch kit, I'm tossing the tire.

TLN

by TLN

Thanks for replies. I got some patches available, will try to patch it from the inside and let it sit overnight. Seems like this should do the trick.
Interestingly, that tire keeps good pressure with plug that I installed for a few days already.
His: Orbea Orca OMX
Hers: Cannondale Synapse HM Disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com