Cervelo S5 (2023) ideal wheelset

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
George46GR

by George46GR

Good evening,

Could you please provide your suggestion regarding a wheelset for a 2023 Cervelo S5? Here are some parameters under consideration:

My area is hilly but I always wanted a stiff and aero bike
My weight is 80 kg
One could say that I am a relatively strong rider (for my age)
I would like them as aero as possible but also light at the same time
6 bolt hubs are prefereable for my Galfer super light disk brake rotors
I would prefer them with NO spoke holes
I intend to use Contis GP5000 S TR 25/28 mm tyres (front/rear)
I prefer hooked rims
Should I go for the 54T ratchet or stay at the 36T
45/50 mm deep (front/rear) is okay for me (in terms of look)

(Roval's, ENVES's, Princeton Carbonworks are all great, but way too deep and expensinve I could say)

I am thinking of a Farsports Gravel wheelset, 24/30 mm (int/ext) width, 45/50 mm deep (front/rear) on DT Swiss 240 hubs (I know they are centerlock only...), 24/24 sapim CX-ray spokes. They are supposed to come at 1370 gr per set.

What do you think? Could I go for Capim CX-Super instead of CX-Ray spokes? I think the supers are a bit lighter than the rays, but are they stiif and durable enough?

Thank you very very much in advance. Any suggestion/experience is very welcome and appreciated, George.
2023 Cervelo S5, size 56, sapphire/ice

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

FactoryMatt

by FactoryMatt

use super or aerocomp (even thicker) on the drive side. i rebuilt some reynolds black label with same and it reduced windup and spoke rubbing considerably. 85kg.

if you want 6 bolt on a high end road wheelset, youll have to build from scratch. theres nothing wrong with centerlock. in fact, i use 6-bolt miche rotors on CL hubs with a 6 bolt rotor adapter on purpose. less frontal area and the rotating edge is smooth.

if you want blind rims, maybe go campagnolo/factor. they suck to work on though simply because they use green loctite to bond the spoke nipples on. get ready to cut them out when its time to replace or rebuild.

hannawald

by hannawald

DT240 or Carbon Ti what is cheaper
CX Rays are OK, Light Bicycle can also make your wheels with carbon spokes.
36T is completely fine, more tooth means also slightly more drag, no need for more than 36T for road.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

From what I’ve seen Light Bicycle QC >>> Farsports QC.

chrisw91

by chrisw91

What about Reserve wheels? The 52/63 was developed specifically for the S5 so will likely be the fastest option? They also seem to be going down the same wide front / narrow rear that I've seen elsewhere from the likes of Roval, Parcours etc. so clearly following established design trends.

They also have the option of DT Swiss hubs and aren't silly money either.

easyv

by easyv

Was also going to suggest the Reserve wheels. Not necessarily saying that you have to go matchy-matchy a la Specialized bikes have to have Roval wheels, etc., but as chirsw91 says, the Reserve wheels WERE specifically developed to go with the S5, so unless there's something about them you just don't like, seems like the natural choice.

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

I'd find going 6-hole on hubs super limiting, also considering Galfer make super light center lock rotors. Tons of great hubs only come in CL.
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

George46GR

by George46GR

I think the Resereve 52/63 are a little bit too deep and somewhat heavy. Unfortunatelly, the other option from Reserve, is the 40/44 mm, while I am looking something between 40/44 and 52/63, like 45/50 for instance. Thank you anyway. A somewhat lower weight of 1534 gr (the Reserves 52/63 with DT240) is also welcome.

saracen888

by saracen888

If you're running Shimano 12spd, I suggest the Dura Ace C50 or C60 wheelset.
Great spec and used in the World Tour.
You'd have the same set up as Jumbo last year

George46GR

by George46GR

saracen888 wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 12:12 pm
If you're running Shimano 12spd, I suggest the Dura Ace C50 or C60 wheelset.
Great spec and used in the World Tour.
You'd have the same set up as Jumbo last year
I will indeed run Shimano DA 12 sp

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com