Carbon clincher wheelset + latex tube + Veloplugs?

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
Zorka

by Zorka

Mechanic from lbs said this is possibly the safest combination for rim brake clinchers with latex inner tube. Is it true or Velox rim tape would protect the tube better from spoke holes and rim´s heat during braking?
How do you protect the latex tube around valve hole when using Veloplugs?

Low weight of Veloplugs is nice, but not at the expense of safety. I know how to brake and I don´t ride alpine descents, but we have some steep technical hills here.

Thanks for all advices.

nickf

by nickf

I have been using tubeless tape on my carbon clinchers for years without issue. Veloplugs are great but for whatever reason on my carbon wheels the veloplugs in either color just don't fit the greatest. on my alloy wheels with veloplugs I just use a piece of electrical tape for the valve hole to protect the tube. If your going to be doing steep descents with a lot of switchbacks just run standard tubes.

Velox cloth tape will never touch my wheels

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Zorka

by Zorka

So I ordered Veloplugs and they finally arrived. I´m planning to secure them in the holes with superglue and then tape the rim bed with electrical tape.
I´ll cover valve hole with two layers of electrical tape.

Is it ok setup for latex tubes or I forgot something?

AscentBikes
in the industry

by AscentBikes

I don't quite understand the question.
The heat generated from rim brakes comes from the sides, but the veloplugs/rim tape are located at the rim bed. They won't have any effect on insulating heat. In fact, if you leave the rim bed exposed by using veloplugs alone, one could argue that the latex tubes are exposed to even more heat by being in direct contact with the carbon.

If you choose to use veloplugs, I'd advise against supergluing them down. If you ever need to replace a spoke nipple, you'd have a harder time.

Also, taping over with electrical tape after using veloplugs kinda defeats the weight savings of veloplugs in the first place?

Regards
QX

kervelo

by kervelo

Why would you use veloplugs instead of some good quality tubeless tape?

Steve Curtis
Location: Hampshire UK, Dublin Ireland and Geneva Switzerland.

by Steve Curtis

Velo plugs are pretty useless compared to other solutions. Just a wrap of tape is just as light, less edges to catch a tube, and less faff.

Superglueing them isn't a sensible idea. Just send them back and order a roll of tape instead.

It isnt 2008 anymore. Things have moved on

Zorka

by Zorka

Yes, the heat comes from braking surface, but it transfers into the rim bed as well. The plastic rim tape can melt at a spoke hole during hard braking, Veloplugs won´t.
Therefore I don´t want to use tubeless tape.
The low weight is not my priority, I just want the safest possible setup for latex tubes. Is there any ´latex friendly´ rim tape safer than veloplugs?

bobones

by bobones

Use powder coat masking tape (green polyester) as it is temperature resistant to over 200 C. If you're managing to put that much heat into your rims by braking then you'll have to worry about the resin melting too.

Steve Curtis
Location: Hampshire UK, Dublin Ireland and Geneva Switzerland.

by Steve Curtis

Zorka wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 3:20 pm
Yes, the heat comes from braking surface, but it transfers into the rim bed as well. The plastic rim tape can melt at a spoke hole during hard braking, Veloplugs won´t.
The low weight is not my priority, I just want the safest possible setup for latex tubes. Is there any ´latex friendly´ rim tape safer than veloplugs?
I lived in, and rode around the Swiss Alps for 2 years. During that time I sometimes used Velo plugs and latex tubes but quickly binned the Velo plugs as they just don't add any benefit. they also caused a few flats so switched to tubeless rim tape on three wheel sets I had for that bike.
One from light bike, and two Reynolds ( strike and assault ) they all have internal nipples and there was never any issue with heat or any related issues.

At the time I was probably 80kg so I personally think you're worrying too much. But hey, go ahead a superglue in some Velo plugs if that's what you need to do to feel safe. Ultimately if you don't feel safe it doesn't matter what the forum suggests.

Roadrocket

by Roadrocket

Steve Curtis wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 4:29 pm
Zorka wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 3:20 pm
Velo plugs also caused a few flats so switched to tubeless rim tape on three wheel sets I had for that bike.
How??
The only reason I can imagine is the gap between plug and rim. If the plug doesn´t fit the spoke hole well, the sharp edges can be dangerous.
It´s allways good to tape the plugs with electrical tape, it doesn´t add that much weight.

christiancarr

by christiancarr

There´s no way how veloplugs may cause a flat if they fit the rim and have been installed properly.
It´s old technology, but the fact is it´s still relatively safe option for latex tubes and clincher rims combo. I´d be really concerned with plastic rim tape melting under hard braking on rim brake bike.

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

Man some of you guys seem too fearful to be even operating a bicycle on a roadway.

Sent from my SM-A526U1 using Tapatalk

Never cheer before you know who is winning

nickf

by nickf

What kind of roads are you guys riding where you will melt rim tape? I have done all kinds of dumb stuff on a bike going downhill 50mph and never had an issue with veloplugs, yellow rim tape, alloy rims, carbon rims. Maybe if you are descending 15% gradients with switchbacks on almost EVERY ride and have no idea how to modulate your speed or brakes and are riding early 2000's carbon wheels and weigh 100kg+ then you could run into issues.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

froze

by froze

wheelbuilder wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 8:25 am
Man some of you guys seem too fearful to be even operating a bicycle on a roadway.

Sent from my SM-A526U1 using Tapatalk
Yeah, I noticed that too!