2023: Going back to Clinchers-> Best Tire?

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
Indyx

by Indyx

So I ran Tubeless Tires on the road for 2 years (GP 5000 TR/TL) probably 20K. They are absolutely great from a non having to change flats on the side of the road. I had 2-3 flats which sealed with me either pressing on them, or self sealing.. Great. The downside, which I won't debate here is not worth it to me, or at least wanting me to go back to clinchers.

So for 2023 I am going back to Clinchers, tires I am looking at:

1. Turbo Cottons 26s (Never tried, durability seems in question)
2. GP 5000 Non TL/TR (Tried them, have exlusively run thee)
3. PZERO Race (Interesting, rated very poorly in rolling resistance, seems almost a fluke)
3. S-Works T2/T5 Clincher

I am looking for 26-28 MM Tire width on Roval Rapide Wheels (Alpinist / Rapid I), that is light. Right now I am actually leaning towards Turbo Cottons in 26s, or S-Works T2/T5. I will be running them with Tubolito TPU tubes.

Thanks!

Mocs123

by Mocs123

I have also gone back to clinchers and went with the Continental GP5000's. I've been tempted to try Turbo Cotton 26's myself though.
2015 Wilier Zero.7 Rim - 6.37kg
2020 Trek Emonda SLR-7 Disc - 6.86kg
2023 Specialized SL7 - 7.18kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DieselCondor

by DieselCondor

Turbo cottons are lovely but it's hard to see past the GP5ks as it excels in nearly all attributes. It's fast, grippy, has a nice ride (TC pip it here though) and good longevity.

LOWIEV

by LOWIEV

I'll give the S-Works T2/T5 Clincher a vote
Good grip, they feel fast enough and in my experience they are pretty durable

mrlobber

by mrlobber

Well, if you run GP5K clincher, there's no point to leave tubeless on the same tyres :D
So my alternative vote goes to Turbo Cottons. Yes, longevity will be shorter than Conti, but ride quality with latex tubes is incomparable.

Edit: yes, forgot the Power Cups, as mentioned below, mainly because of no personal experience with them (yet).
Last edited by mrlobber on Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

CampagYOLO

by CampagYOLO

Also gone back to clinchers for the road, I'm currently giving the Michelin Power Cups a go as Merlin Cycles were selling them cheaply. Using with Ride Now TPU tubes.

According to Aerocoach the Power Cups are a little faster than the GP5000's:

https://www.aero-coach.co.uk/time-trial ... tance-data

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

I always liked the GP5000c and Turbo Cotton. The former are a little more durable and latter are a little nice to ride.
I'd however also look into Michelin Power Cup C.
According to AC, they are fast AF:
https://www.aero-coach.co.uk/time-trial ... tance-data
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

handler

by handler

There's a new GP 5000 TT TR coming out soon, no new info but I beleive it's the same as the GP 5000 TT TdF Ltd

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

It's good they release a "standard" version, even if it is the same, as this means they'll keep delivering these tires.
It's a tubeless tire though and at least the TdF version is mightily expensive.
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

abonjour

by abonjour

Recently done most of my mileage on GP5000 clinchers and TCs in 26mm. TCs easily win for ride feel as others have mentioned by I'd say an overlooked feature is how easy they are to change. Ive always found conti's a real pain to fit, to the point I was very nervous about getting a puncture (fortunately I never got a single one on them!) and was starting to consider going to tubeless. However, I got one puncture all year on TCs and they are so silly easy to change, that I'm no longer bothered about it.

Out of interest, what are the 28mm TCs like? I really want a slightly wider pair for the winter, but don't want to fork out on them if the slightly different construction loses all their niceness!

k33z

by k33z

I would steer clear fromt he GP5000 tires, I really really hate their road feel. Feel like tractor tires. Might be great on rolling resistance, great on wear and puncture protection, but the harsh ride spoils it for me.

Have ran Vittoria Open Corsas for some time now, love the road feel. Maybe not the lightest, according to tests not the best rolling but lovely feel with latex innertubes. Turbo Cottons might be even better from what I have read.

Just mounted a pair of Power Cups, but on my summer bike so not yet tested.

It really depends on what you want to get out of a tire, it is not as simple as looking at weight and rolling resistance. Tires feel very very different when compared to each other, which matters a lot to me personally.

Minirac

by Minirac

You will be back on tubeless soon.. Ride quality and air reservoir capacity is far superior on tubeless..

k33z

by k33z

Ride quality might be better when switching from same tire with inner to tubeless (maybe not even depends on brand). But e.g. a Vittoria Corsa with Latex or even TPU inner is much, much nicer to ride than a GP5000 tubeless.

So that ride quality argument really depens on tire choice more than tubeless vs tubes. For road tires that is, for gravel and MTB tubeless is great with low pressures.

maxim809
Administrator

by maxim809

plz keep discussion on-topic to best clinchers, and try to suppress tubeless vs clincher debate, as enticing as it is

the op states pros and cons are understood
we all do

guyc

by guyc

Turbo Cotton 28's. The Hell of the North versions. Lovely. Much more durable than the 26's.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com