2023: Going back to Clinchers-> Best Tire?

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
fbonde

by fbonde

I have been running Vittoria Corsa GII 28mm since 2019. With a latex tube and now Revoloop 28mm. I ride with 78 PSI back and front—absolutely lovely feel. For winter, I ride Hell of the north with the same tube. I have tried the TC, but much more flats.
I look forward to seeing what the Corsa pro is all about.

insta: @fbonde

guyc

by guyc

I get around 2000 miles out of a rear Turbo Cotton, and 3000 from a front. I run 28mm Hell
Of the North all year round.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

twoangstroms

by twoangstroms

Been reading all the tire (tubeless) threads and I appreciate all y'alls deep research and... I'm more confused than ever. I'll need some new racing tires for team wheels (Zipp 303 Firecrest, so hookless) and the better rolling tires seem to have low puncture resitance, others seem to unthread, others... oy.

ND4SPD

by ND4SPD

twoangstroms wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:10 am
Been reading all the tire (tubeless) threads and I appreciate all y'alls deep research and... I'm more confused than ever. I'll need some new racing tires for team wheels (Zipp 303 Firecrest, so hookless) and the better rolling tires seem to have low puncture resitance, others seem to unthread, others... oy.
Continental Grand Prix 5000 have excellent puncture and rolling resistance and it's even better when paired with latex tubes:

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.co ... latex-tube

Michelin Power Cup, Pirelli P Zero Race 4S and Veloflex Corsa Race are also great:

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.co ... corsa-race

I'm on Vittoria Corsa G+ 2.0 paired with Vittoria latex tubes, I like the suppleness of that combination.

CampagYOLO

by CampagYOLO

ND4SPD wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 2:36 pm
twoangstroms wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:10 am
Continental Grand Prix 5000 have excellent puncture and rolling resistance and it's even better when paired with latex tubes:

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.co ... latex-tube

Michelin Power Cup, Pirelli P Zero Race 4S and Veloflex Corsa Race are also great:

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.co ... corsa-race

I'm on Vittoria Corsa G+ 2.0 paired with Vittoria latex tubes, I like the suppleness of that combination.
He's on hookless wheels so tubes aren't an option. Gotta stay tubeless with them.

twoangstroms

by twoangstroms

Thanks, both! Yes, I have Conti 5000 with latex on my old bike (Dura-Ace hooked, not tubeless) wheels and it's been pretty good, but that won't work for hookless.

(Did have a teammate two years ago crash bad on a descent; he'd overinflated on his hookless wheels.)

macwatt

by macwatt

Out of the clincher tyres I have tried the three best with Latex or TPU tubes have been in order of which felt the best / fastest

Specialized Turbo Cotton
Michelin Power Cup
Continental GP5000

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

I find corsa graphines feel great but flat to much.

gp5000 faired much better and still feel good.

Uk roads.

Basso Diamante eps 12

Formerly known as Curryinahurry

macwatt

by macwatt

Never tried Vittoria's yet due to their puncture resistance, Corsa NEXT although good for grip and puncture seems to loose out by a good margin in rolling resistance.

ND4SPD

by ND4SPD

CampagYOLO wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:29 pm
He's on hookless wheels so tubes aren't an option. Gotta stay tubeless with them.
I have somehow overlooked that he wrote hookless wheels.
MrCurrieinahurry wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:15 pm
macwatt wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:26 pm
Never tried Vittoria's yet due to their puncture resistance...
According to Bicycle Rolling Resistance, puncture resistance is better on Vittoria Corsa G+ 2.0 then on Continental Grand Prix 5000:

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.co ... control-g2

macwatt

by macwatt

Ah ok I'm a member of BRR never actually read full review of Corsa G+ 2.0. I thought sidewall would be soft like Turbo Cottons which although I had no punctures had some marks on the sidewall nothing too deep but replaced tyre if there was numerous.

seventyseven

by seventyseven

ND4SPD wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:34 pm
CampagYOLO wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:29 pm
I have somehow overlooked that he wrote hookless wheels.
MrCurrieinahurry wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:15 pm
macwatt wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:26 pm
Never tried Vittoria's yet due to their puncture resistance...
According to Bicycle Rolling Resistance, puncture resistance is better on Vittoria Corsa G+ 2.0 then on Continental Grand Prix 5000:

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.co ... control-g2
Those are the Corsa Control. I think this is the more accurate comparison?

ND4SPD

by ND4SPD

seventyseven wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:12 pm
Those are the Corsa Control. I think this is the more accurate comparison?
It's not my day, first I overlooked hookless, then this :sick: From this, they are the same, both 49 points on puncture resistance test.

jlok

by jlok

macwatt wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:11 pm
Out of the clincher tyres I have tried the three best with Latex or TPU tubes have been in order of which felt the best / fastest

Specialized Turbo Cotton
Michelin Power Cup
Continental GP5000
What is the measured width of the Power Cup and on which rim?
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

macwatt

by macwatt

jlok wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2023 4:40 pm
macwatt wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:11 pm

Specialized Turbo Cotton
Michelin Power Cup
Continental GP5000
What is the measured width of the Power Cup and on which rim?
On my Roval Rapide CLX's 21mm internal front 25mm weighs 222g @80 psi measures 28mm, rear 28mm weighs 241g @80 psi measures 30mm they both have RideNow TPU tubes installed.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com