Tubeless tire "stuck" on the rim

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
Ritsuke

by Ritsuke

Anyone have any decent tips on how to remove a "stuck" tire from the rim? I forced one side of but the other side won't move or even flinch a little. The internet advised me to lay the wheel on the floor and put my foot onto it but I'd rather not with carbon wheels. Any others tips/tricks?

S-Works Turbo 2BR tires on Roval Rapide CLX wheels (rear)
Road // 2023 S-Works Tarmac SL8 | Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 | Roval Rapide CLX
Gravel // 2023 Specialized Crux Pro | SRAM Force AXS | Roval Terra CL
Retired // 2022 S-Works Shiv TT // 2021 S-Works Tarmac SL7 // 2019 Specialized Allez Sprint Red Hook

Ymerej

by Ymerej

You just gotta man handle it, focus on one area it will break free eventually. Use them thumbs and squeeze the shi# out of it. Or try pliers.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CyclingGiraffe

by CyclingGiraffe

Is the tire done and being replaced? I've had to use pliers, being careful not to scratch/damage the rim. I just grabbed the tire between the jaws of the pliers and twisted. Got it off without contacting the rim; note it will likely ruin the tire (stretch/tear up the casing).

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Pliers with a twisting action usually works, however I did have one tire that I had to cut off using tin snips. Had to be super careful not to scratch the rim. When I got down to just the kevlar bead, I was able to get it over the bead hook with a small screw driver. The thing that disturbs me is that the rim tire fit was just right during instal, not crazy tight. I think the build up of dried sealant over time is part of the problem. I no longer carry inner tubes, just plugs as a result of that experience. I think the odds of getting any tubeless tire off that has been on a wheel for a long time are low.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

It becomes harder if you complete unseat one side of the tire first.

Pop the bead off only a small portion of one side, then rotate to a different section and pop the bead off on the other side.

Steve Curtis
Location: Hampshire UK, Dublin Ireland and Geneva Switzerland.

by Steve Curtis

Open an interior door and use the hinge side as a vice.

Put some of the tyre in the gap, close the door enough to grab the rubber, but not enough to pinch it, and use the wheel as a big lever.
I have a wheel set which will not allow tyres to be removed, and this was the only way I could come up with a solution other than cutting them off.
Last edited by Steve Curtis on Wed Dec 28, 2022 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ritsuke

by Ritsuke

Thanks for the suggestions. I have no more thumbs but the tire got loose. Pulling it downwards helped a lot.

@Steve: What a great suggestion. I'll use that trick next time.
Road // 2023 S-Works Tarmac SL8 | Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 | Roval Rapide CLX
Gravel // 2023 Specialized Crux Pro | SRAM Force AXS | Roval Terra CL
Retired // 2022 S-Works Shiv TT // 2021 S-Works Tarmac SL7 // 2019 Specialized Allez Sprint Red Hook

kode54

by kode54

Mr.Gib wrote:Pliers with a twisting action usually works, however I did have one tire that I had to cut off using tin snips. Had to be super careful not to scratch the rim. When I got down to just the kevlar bead, I was able to get it over the bead hook with a small screw driver. The thing that disturbs me is that the rim tire fit was just right during instal, not crazy tight. I think the build up of dried sealant over time is part of the problem. I no longer carry inner tubes, just plugs as a result of that experience. I think the odds of getting any tubeless tire off that has been on a wheel for a long time are low.
Funny that I went through the same ordeal. I had to cut one off many years ago due to amounts of sealant that literally glued the tire bead to the rim. So like you, I don’t carry any tubes anymore, just a DynaPlug and a 2oz bottle of sealant.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

MikeD

by MikeD

I had a stuck tire when the sealant dried up and basically glued the beads to the rim. I couldn't remove the tire. I injected sealant into the tire through the valve stem and after a day or so, removing the tire was easy.

jayjay

by jayjay

MikeD wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 5:15 pm
I had a stuck tire when the sealant dried up and basically glued the beads to the rim. I couldn't remove the tire. I injected sealant into the tire through the valve stem and after a day or so, removing the tire was easy.
You could probably also inject warm water through the vavle for a faster result?!

Indyx

by Indyx

Put a the wheel on the floor (on something soft) and put a small piece of wood on the tire right under the bead. Pull the wheel up and off.

I had a wheelset I bought used had the tubeless tire (with tube) stuck on the rim. This was the only way.

liam7020

by liam7020

Steve Curtis wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2022 3:52 pm

Put some of the tyre in the gap, close the door enough to grab the rubber, but not enough to pinch it, and use the wheel as a big lever.
I have a wheel set which will not allow tyres to be removed, and this was the only way I could come up with a solution other than cutting them off.
Superb tip brother - just try this and it worked a treat! Cheers!!
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Steve Curtis
Location: Hampshire UK, Dublin Ireland and Geneva Switzerland.

by Steve Curtis

liam7020 wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 4:54 pm
Steve Curtis wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2022 3:52 pm

Superb tip brother - just try this and it worked a treat! Cheers!!
👍🏼