Corima S DX Campagnolo freehub tuning to N3W

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

Hi to all,
since I didn't found any similar topic I decided to post this here, before I pull the trigger and tune that freehub.

I got a Corima MCC disc brake wheelset from a fellow forum member (nestornnk - great to work with him and much recommended) and always wanted to try those wheels.

I saw that Corima only has one wheelset that is Ekar compatible - Campagnolo N3W standard. They claim that the MCC wheels are not N3W compatible.

It could be tuned to fit N3W. I had a Fulcrum N3W freehub at my workshop and after some measurment I realized I can just use some basic lathe and make it N3W compatible (which is 4.4mm shorter).

I removed the "lockring" for the bearing and there is enough space to just put an Ekar cassette on that freehub (once I remove the 4.4mm), did anybody tried that before? Seems just too easy since Corima claims that they don't have such N3W freehub body.

As far as I measured there won't be needed to use the "lockring" once the cassette is mounted on. In worst case I'll have some very small tuning to make it perfect. Will start with it most probably during the weekend, but just wanted to share with you, maybe anyone else would like to use such wheelset with an Ekar groupset (or if Campa will make some new groupsets that will require such N3W standard).

On the left there is the Corima Campagnolo freehub compared to Fulcrum N3W on the right

Last year I bough the Ekar groupset to use it on a road bike and I really like it, so I thought why not just tune that Corima MCC wheelset to use it on this bike

Cheers

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

Hi, just an update, everything went as planned. Compared to the Fulcrum N3W freehub body the thread is only 0.4mm shorter.
Comparing the hub after some work.

Back on the wheel

Fitted the cassette, everything works perfect. Hope this might help anyone who would like to use such wheels with an Ekar / N3W groupset.

Cheers

Pyotrump

by Pyotrump

Wow, I am the one with the same idea but without lathe... Nice work. I have a Elite drive wheelset(definitely with no n3w support) and want to put ekar cassette so badly. However, because the corima body has especially deep thread to incorporate their own lockring mechanism, you saved your time to rethread the body.

Anyway, is chamfer on ekar not necessary? you just simply shaved 4.4mm off and no 45dgreeish chamfer?

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

Hi,
thanks, I'm sure any local guy with a small lathe could do that, or if you are from EU you can just send it over and I can make it for you, it's a few min work.

But you need to make sure that the lockring of the cassette will still have enough material to screw into the freehub. Corima is really deep and they also have the thread made (they even used the Shimano cassette tool to screw in the red part seen on the photos)

Well I didn't tried to make it without chamfer, maybe it would work, but I just tried to copy the original, there is a 2mm deep chamfer if I remember correctly.

Yes, 4.4mm needs to be shaved off. If you can check what the grey ring is (maybe only some kind of sealing?) then it is very similar to Corima