Continental Competition vs Sprinter reliability

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
3Pio

by 3Pio

My favourite tubular is Vittoria Corsa G+ as a compromise of reliability, ride comfort and grip.. Unfortunately i'll install soon my last ones, and need to buy new tubulars soon.. One negative with Corsa's is their puncture resistant to small pieces of glasses.. And two punctures i had this season was because of that..

My other tubular tire that i ride a lot is Continental Sprinter.. While it doesnt have comfort as Corsa G+ have, there is still plenty of grip (especially in wet), and really reliable tire (especially roads here are not so good). I have Sprinter which i rode for about 7000km in front (and replace it just because of mileage), and rear one at a moment have 5000km and still good for at least 1000km...

In the last years i gave chance to Competition once, and while i really like it how it rode, i had really bad luck with this tire.. Just 200km on the road and side cut from small tiny rock on the road.. It was unrepairable, and since then never tried Competition again..

So now is the question: Since i can see Continental Competition LightWeight edition tubulars for not so much more expensive price than Sprinters, should i give them chance again? Or just to go Sprinters considering bad roads we have here, with a lot of small/tiny rocks, and not so smooth tarmac..

May i expect from Competition 5000km in front with this conditions? If i get Competition tub it will be front tire, and Sprinter in the rear...

And what is the difference regular Competition vs LighWeight edition except Lightweight letters on the side? BTW, im in to 25mm tubs..

octav

by octav

I am using Conti Competition; in the rear it lasted around 4000km, in the front after 4000km it looks newish; I think 7-8000 is realistic.

To be honest Sprinter is pretty good for me also, but I really like also the design and feel(more plush I would say ) of the Competition.
Vittoria I never used as tubular as I had bad luck with clinchers here in Romania ( where lots of people throw bottles of the car windows)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

3Pio

by 3Pio

octav wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:32 am
I am using Conti Competition; in the rear it lasted around 4000km, in the front after 4000km it looks newish; I think 7-8000 is realistic.

To be honest Sprinter is pretty good for me also, but I really like also the design and feel(more plush I would say ) of the Competition.
Vittoria I never used as tubular as I had bad luck with clinchers here in Romania ( where lots of people throw bottles of the car windows)
Regarding Vittoria's, i can say i have mixed luck..While i can say as isolated problem was vent area, most of them end life from the glass :( Here where i live also spots with broken glass which is imediatelly death to Corsa's.. Three punctures i had this season was from glass, i was lucky that sealant worked so i got at least some mileage..

So that's the reason i want to get new Sprinter or Competiton (at a moment they are same price)..

Might get Sprinter for the rear and Competition for the front, and to hope that this will be good compromise in reliablity and ride feel..

I hope my first (and alst) experience with Competition was just bad luck to be done after 200 km (While Vittoria have trouble with glass, Conti have trouble with side wall cuts...)