Lightbicycle Vs Lun Wheels Vs Elite drive

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
snowdevlin

by snowdevlin

Having read the above posts, I'm now declining winspace options too.
Regular hubs and spokes make more sense to me.
So at 80kg, for roughly the same price (BF prices) I could go for LB falcon pro Ar375 with carbon ti hubs (standard edition, not the flyweight) at 1350g or farsports kaze 35 with dt Swiss 240, at 1290g.
:-)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Oncarbon

by Oncarbon

Ferry wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:52 am

I am in the same proces of looking for another rim brake wheelset. I have narrowed it down to LB or Winspace 2023 model.LB preferred as a result of the arguments above.
I think www.9velo.com makes very good carbon wheels with factory prices. They are new brand, but with a decade experience in production in this industry already.

Aeo

by Aeo

Look for the new DUKE Baccara ULTRA SLR2 rims. 295 grams for 36mm depth, 21 inner/~28 outer.
They are on sale at r2-bike right now with DT240, ~1150 grams: https://r2-bike.com/Laufradsatz-28-Disc ... pim-CX-Ray

Manufacturer homepage: https://www.jpracingbike1.com/en/629-baccara-slr2

Another wheelbuilder who has them listed already https://ruedascustom.com/en
Giant TCR Adv Pro Disc '17 · BH Lynx Race Evo '19 · Seraph GR029 '21 · Canyon Inflite AL '14

romanmoser

by romanmoser

be more stealthy with your add pls

duke are really nice, ( proprietary molds bit changed compared to light bicycle who manufacture them, and asymetric too wich lb aren't )

having bought used but very good condition cadex 42 and 65 carbon wheels with carbon spokes, i would be cautious with them
would not use them at all on my gravel wheels...
Maybe it was during transportation in the back of race cars etc, but i think more riding and catching something and times
They had 2 3 spokes strating to delaminate
Where stainless steel would have bent or totally broken

Ferry

by Ferry

Aeo wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 8:37 am
Look for the new DUKE Baccara ULTRA SLR2 rims. 295 grams for 36mm depth, 21 inner/~28 outer.
They are on sale at r2-bike right now with DT240, ~1150 grams: https://r2-bike.com/Laufradsatz-28-Disc ... -Sapim-CX-
This topic is regarding rim brake wheels not disc brake.

snowdevlin

by snowdevlin

Ferry wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 12:53 pm
Aeo wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 8:37 am
They are on sale at r2-bike right now with DT240, ~1150 grams: https://r2-bike.com/Laufradsatz-28-Disc ... -Sapim-CX-
This topic is regarding rim brake wheels not disc brake.
Yep! :beerchug:

Aeo

by Aeo

Sorry for mixing up the two Winspace-Elite threads.
For rim brake, get the Campagnolo.
Another option is Farsports Feder with Extralite or Carbon-TI hubs at around 1200-1250 grams. Weight limit 100kg
Giant TCR Adv Pro Disc '17 · BH Lynx Race Evo '19 · Seraph GR029 '21 · Canyon Inflite AL '14

snowdevlin

by snowdevlin

Aeo wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 6:50 pm
Sorry for mixing up the two Winspace-Elite threads.
For rim brake, get the Campagnolo.
Another option is Farsports Feder with Extralite or Carbon-TI hubs at around 1200-1250 grams. Weight limit 100kg
Nice tip! Didn't remember that one, sounds good!!

MrStop

by MrStop

Curious on what you went with. I'm in the same boat and can't decide what to get and trying to make a decision befor the black friday sales disappear. Sorry to piggyback, but it seemed better than creating a new thread.

I'm looking for a 50mm deep rim. It needs to handle the flats well and do decently on shortish climbs (100-200' @3-12%). Would appreciate some cross wind stability as well as decent braking in case of wet. It's going on a 2000 LeMond Zurich that I'm slowly doing a resto-mod on and the wheels will replace the factory Rolf Vector Comp (2025 grams) . I'm currently running 25mm, but would maybe like the option for 28mm tires (should fit).

MrStop

by MrStop

I pulled the trigger on the Elitewheels Drive 50V Ultralight. It was hard to pass up given the black friday coupons and the coupon values made the ultralight version only $60 more. Weight is supposed to come in about 1315g, about 85g savings over the standard team version. It will save about 711g's over my current wheelset and should be a whole different ride.

I took a bit of a flier on it. Most reviews of the Drive seem generally positive, although it's still a bit new. I liked that it had a siped brake track and should theoretically perform better in the wet. It came in a bit lighter than other offerings from Light Wheels, Farsports and others at the same or lower price. Besides being a newer wheel, my only hesitancy is the proprietary hub that's a bit noisier than I prefer.

Erwin

by Erwin

Congrats, the wheels look good. What is the code for the Ultralite Version please? Can not find it on their page. Thank you.

MrStop

by MrStop

The Black Friday sale is based on the amount you spend. You get $179 off if you spend $899 or more and $219 off when you spend $1099 or more. The added cost of the Ultralight was enough to bump it into the higher discount.

Erwin

by Erwin

Understand, thanks for clearing it up! Have fun with your wheelset!

Edopizzo

by Edopizzo

Jasonlelam wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 5:29 am
Edopizzo wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 6:56 pm
Jasonlelam wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:39 am
Edopizzo wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 12:26 pm
I would go with the Hyper SE version. You can get them for 900$ with the discount code and they're basically 2020 hypers with steel bearings which can be even better. I have Light Bicycle wheels but I payed 550€ for hubs, rims and spokes. If you are around the 1000$ range go for Hypers mostly because of carbon spokes which are far far stiffer. I'm still not sure about Elite Drive
Hyper might be not a bad choice, but the proprietary parts (risky maintainence problem) and a non-quality-convinced OEM (rebadged) hub is keeping me away from Winspace. As contrast, LB's gene of deep customization with far more well-branded and high quality hub and spoke options (DT Swiss, ChrisKing, Hope, Extralite, Carbon-Ti, Sapim CX-Ray, DT Competition...) makes many cycling enthusiasts happy.

And even as for the carbon spokes which go stiffer in performance as said, they also develop to unlimit the hub options, that is pretty cool. (I think it quite hard for Hyper to go in this direction). https://www.lightbicycle.com/newsletter ... -Fast.html

You nearly could find in LB a certain competitive counterpart to those that most other brands offer. All up to yourself makes everyone more recognizable and an interesting world IMO. 8) :)
snowdevlin wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 4:37 pm
Edopizzo wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 12:26 pm
I would go with the Hyper SE version. You can get them for 900$ with the discount code and they're basically 2020 hypers with steel bearings which can be even better. I have Light Bicycle wheels but I payed 550€ for hubs, rims and spokes. If you are around the 1000$ range go for Hypers mostly because of carbon spokes which are far far stiffer. I'm still not sure about Elite Drive
The hyper se on paper sound very appealing (the ceramic bearings is something I don't even care), but the problem remains, with all the proprietary stuff and lack of reviews.
:roll:

Winspace hypers have been around since 2020 and have many more sales and reviews than Light bicycle. Lots of famous youtube engineers (Hambini, Peak Torque..) have objectively reviewed them and found no faults. Yes they have proprietrary hubs but the bearings are all standard (unlike DT240 for example) and they have very good customer care in case something happens.

I say all this as a proud and happy Light Bicycle owner
================================================================

Yahh. Actually, it is the very another reason for me hesitate to go with Hyper as too much paid ads/reviews it goes through. No longivity evidence, and lack of real world reviews come out from riders as you and me among many more others. May be in near future, I dare go with it and hopfully ride them all right. :D
[/quote]

Man, go and see the Hyper thread: only positive reviews on there. Also youtube comments on thosse videos are very positive

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Edopizzo wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:38 am

Man, go and see the Hyper thread: only positive reviews on there. Also youtube comments on thosse videos are very positive

If a lot of people like them that's great.

But...

Lun Hyper D45
46mm/54mm depth
21mm internal
27.6mm external
carbon spokes
OE hubs
hybrid ceramic bearings
~1421g
US$1300

vs

Light Bicycle AR55
55mm depth
21mm internal
30mm external
Sapim CX-Ray spokes
DT Swiss 240 EXP hubs
TPI steel bearings (technical partners with NTN)
~1368g
$1247

or

Light Bicycle WR50
50mm depth
25mm internal
32mm external
Sapim CX-Ray spokes
DT Swiss 240 EXP hubs
TPI steel bearings (technical partners with NTN)
~1368g
$1247

The LB wheels are lighter, cheaper and wider. They come with DT Swiss hubs vs proprietary OE hubs. They don't rely on carbon spokes to achieve their light weight. The front wheel is deeper on both Light Bicycle wheelsets, which is of key importance for aerodynamic efficiency.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com