Lightbicycle Vs Lun Wheels Vs Elite drive

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
Jasonlelam

by Jasonlelam

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:33 am
Edopizzo wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:38 am

Man, go and see the Hyper thread: only positive reviews on there. Also youtube comments on thosse videos are very positive

If a lot of people like them that's great.

But...

Lun Hyper D45
46mm/54mm depth
21mm internal
27.6mm external
carbon spokes
OE hubs
hybrid ceramic bearings
~1421g
US$1300

vs

Light Bicycle AR55
55mm depth
21mm internal
30mm external
Sapim CX-Ray spokes
DT Swiss 240 EXP hubs
TPI steel bearings (technical partners with NTN)
~1368g
$1247

or

Light Bicycle WR50
50mm depth
25mm internal
32mm external
Sapim CX-Ray spokes
DT Swiss 240 EXP hubs
~1368g
$1247

The LB wheels are lighter, cheaper and wider. They come with DT Swiss hubs vs proprietary OE hubs. They don't rely on carbon spokes to achieve their light weight. The front wheel is deeper on both Light Bicycle wheelsets, which is of key importance for aerodynamic efficiency.
Yes, Light bike much more transparency on parts imformation/value. Good to know how they run business, a bit conservative but good not to put weight on crazy annoying advertising....

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Anyway if wheel manufacturers want to use carbon spokes, they need to make use of carbon’s advantages by using fewer, stronger, larger surface area spokes with narrower bracing a la the old Spinergy Rev X wheels. It is almost pointless to build a conventional spoke out of carbon.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MrStop

by MrStop

Agree. I think you are seeing lower spoke count in wheels that come standard with carbon spokes (e.g. the Winspace Hyper and Elite Drive). I recall looking at a weight chart showing spoke options on one of the manufacturer sites and there wasn't much if any weight savings just switching to a carbon spoke over the CX-Ray.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

MrStop wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:43 pm
Agree. I think you are seeing lower spoke count in wheels that come standard with carbon spokes (e.g. the Winspace Hyper and Elite Drive). I recall looking at a weight chart showing spoke options on one of the manufacturer sites and there wasn't much if any weight savings just switching to a carbon spoke over the CX-Ray.

Yeah, but I literally mean going all the way down to 6-12 paired, highly bladed integral spokes, not 18-21 in a conventional 2x pattern.

MrStop

by MrStop

Gotcha. That would certainly be a much bigger difference!

Edopizzo

by Edopizzo

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Edopizzo wrote:

Man, go and see the Hyper thread: only positive reviews on there. Also youtube comments on thosse videos are very positive

But...

Lun Hyper D45
46mm/54mm depth
21mm internal
27.6mm external
carbon spokes
OE hubs
hybrid ceramic bearings
~1421g
US$1300

vs

Light Bicycle AR55
55mm depth
21mm internal
30mm external
Sapim CX-Ray spokes
DT Swiss 240 EXP hubs
~1368g
$1247

or

Light Bicycle WR50
50mm depth
25mm internal
32mm external
Sapim CX-Ray spokes
DT Swiss 240 EXP hubs
~1368g
$1247

The LB wheels are lighter, cheaper and wider. They come with DT Swiss hubs vs proprietary OE hubs. They don't rely on carbon spokes to achieve their light weight. The front wheel is deeper on both Light Bicycle wheelsets, which is of key importance for aerodynamic efficiency.
The LB you mentioned are all flyweight so rated to 90kg instead of 135kg, also you have to include shipping so it's around 1370$. Hyper SE come at 900$ shipped with the discount code and are both 50mm at 1470g and have steel bearings. I don't get the diffrent profile on the new hypers. Also I'd rather have carbon spokes which are far far stiffer and a heavier rim which is stronger

MrStop

by MrStop

I have only heard good things about the LB wheels and I like the non propreitary hubs and spokes. However, like you, I couldn't get them to pencil out in my budget versus other offerings.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Edopizzo wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:18 pm

The LB you mentioned are all flyweight so rated to 90kg instead of 135kg, also you have to include shipping so it's around 1370$. Hyper SE come at 900$ shipped with the discount code and are both 50mm at 1470g and have steel bearings. I don't get the diffrent profile on the new hypers. Also I'd rather have carbon spokes which are far far stiffer and a heavier rim which is stronger

What’s the max rider weight rating on the Hyper 2023? Also you can avoid customs/import duties with Light Bicycle’s shipping options.

Spoke stiffness is not necessarily a virtue. I don’t want a vertically stiff ride, especially at the local road races.

Jasonlelam

by Jasonlelam

Edopizzo wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:18 pm
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Edopizzo wrote:

But...

Lun Hyper D45
46mm/54mm depth
21mm internal
27.6mm external
carbon spokes
OE hubs
hybrid ceramic bearings
~1421g
US$1300

vs

Light Bicycle AR55
55mm depth
21mm internal
30mm external
Sapim CX-Ray spokes
DT Swiss 240 EXP hubs
~1368g
$1247

or

Light Bicycle WR50
50mm depth
25mm internal
32mm external
Sapim CX-Ray spokes
DT Swiss 240 EXP hubs
~1368g
$1247

enn, LB also offered BF discount so the price difference is not the essence. I was told recently by a manufacturing insider and understand the "non proprietary parts" is much more complicate than it literally is. The unlimited specs (They call it 'Full Custom') Light Bicycle offers does not make use of mass production effect, which ought to shape to your unique demand that is pretty difficult for manufacturers however. Quite good for us, and just need to ask them for what you want :D . That's why you can not easily find such factories/brands do like this. Farspot is the one similar, but they seems a bit lack of innovative products.

extrusionedwin

by extrusionedwin

elite wheels Drive

the best weight , price? 1/3 cadex price , same 50mm, same limit kgs 130, same ceramics, same all!!!!!
this weigth is includes tubeless tape + nozzle

dam it!!!!

C36

by C36

TobinHatesYou wrote:
But...

Lun Hyper D45
46mm/54mm depth
21mm internal
27.6mm external
carbon spokes
OE hubs
hybrid ceramic bearings
~1421g
US$1300

vs

Light Bicycle AR55
55mm depth
21mm internal
30mm external
Sapim CX-Ray spokes
DT Swiss 240 EXP hubs
~1368g
$1247

or

Light Bicycle WR50
50mm depth
25mm internal
32mm external
Sapim CX-Ray spokes
DT Swiss 240 EXP hubs
~1368g
$1247

But wheel stiffness is nowhere near (a good 15-20% difference) with CX-ray spokes. The carbon spokes weight is just a good side effect but their main benefit is really stiffness (unless you are Hunt and play the weight gain and keep a low stiffness :noidea: ).
Lun Disc hubs appear quite heavy cause the rim brake are just north 1300g in 50mm.
To me the only 2 reasons to go LB is if you really need to go 28mm+ tires and if you want hub that require less maintenance (I am still a bit skeptical on Lun free-hub water tightness)

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

C36 wrote:
Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:05 am

But wheel stiffness is nowhere near (a good 15-20% difference) with CX-ray spokes. The carbon spokes weight is just a good side effect but their main benefit is really stiffness (unless you are Hunt and play the weight gain and keep a low stiffness :noidea: ).
Lun Disc hubs appear quite heavy cause the rim brake are just north 1300g in 50mm.
To me the only 2 reasons to go LB is if you really need to go 28mm+ tires and if you want hub that require less maintenance (I am still a bit skeptical on Lun free-hub water tightness)

Maybe Jakobsen or Groenewegen need a stiffer wheel, but certainly not most of us. I actually want a more vertically compliant wheel.

KarlGLS

by KarlGLS

Oncarbon wrote:
Ferry wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:52 am

I am in the same proces of looking for another rim brake wheelset. I have narrowed it down to LB or Winspace 2023 model.LB preferred as a result of the arguments above.
I think www.9velo.com makes very good carbon wheels with factory prices. They are new brand, but with a decade experience in production in this industry already.
Should get my hands on one set very soon, I am looking forward to see the quality (or not) of those ones
simply blabla-ing