Vel RSL 50mm Wheels

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
Dronfield

by Dronfield

Anyone have anymore feedback on the Vel RSL2 Wheels?

Sigma have their 15% discount on again and I'm tempted.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CampagYOLO

by CampagYOLO

Ridden mine now, they're great wheels, can't complain at all for the price. It's hard to go wrong with 240 hubs and mine came perfectly true.

Maybe not a cutting edge rim width/shape but you'd have to pay a hell of a lot more money to get something measurably better.

qickslvr2

by qickslvr2

I've done about 250km on them now, still happy and crosswinds aren't an issue for me (75kg). As you know you're basically getting:
  • Generic carbon rim, nothing wrong with it.
  • Fully blacked out look
  • Decent spokes
  • Nice dt swiss 240 hubs (I think they're a nice upgrade from the 350s I have on my dt swiss wheels).
  • Fairly decent weight
In hindsight, I'm glad I talked myself down from some flagship hunts/scribe/zipps and saved the extra £700 I almost spent. Good value wheels in my opinion.

Guevarca

by Guevarca

Are the ‘Vel’ logos a sticker that can be removed or under some kind of lacquer/finish? Ta

bmcman

by bmcman

qickslvr2 wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 6:03 pm
So far I'm impressed with the Vel RSL2 50's. Will need to get a few long rides in to bed them in, but good first impressions.

Weight wise they are lighter, I picked up a deal on lighter disc rotors and cassette and in total it shaved 400g off my last wheelset (dt swiss ER1600) - first time my bikes gone sub 8kg.

The Vel wheels look stealthy, no visible logo really, and the red dt swiss 240 hubs look and sound great.

If anyone has any questions just let me know.
I'll be doing the same... which cassette/ rotors did you go for mate?

qickslvr2

by qickslvr2

Ultegra cassette and mt900 rotors, upgrades from 105 equivalents.

I’m still loving the wheels after a few months now. I went up from 28s to 30 wide tires the other day for comfort from all the pot holes (I had some on another wheelset). Cross winds are occasionally noticeable but never unnerving.

bmcman

by bmcman

qickslvr2 wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:01 pm

I’m still loving the wheels after a few months now. I went up from 28s to 30 wide tires the other day for comfort from all the pot holes (I had some on another wheelset). Cross winds are occasionally noticeable but never unnerving.
You've sold me!
Aren't MT900's for MTB?

voicycle

by voicycle

bmcman wrote:
qickslvr2 wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:01 pm

You've sold me!
Aren't MT900's for MTB?
The new rotors for 8100/9200 weren’t released at the same time as the rest of the groupsets but the old 8000/9100 ones were retired at that time because they were so bad for warping etc. For about a year Shimano’s official line was that the MT rotors were for both road and mountain, just like the chains.

Current Ultegra/DA rotors have only just been released and are still hard to find in some places, so it’s still pretty common to see MT in use and some prefer them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bmcman

by bmcman

I see! will take a look!

DieselCondor

by DieselCondor

Considering Vel 50 RSL2... any further long term updates on your experiences?