Ascent Polaris wheels

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
CustomMetal

by CustomMetal

I think I'll be ordering a set of raw 69s in May... just need to £GDP to recover 😂 laced to some tactics could be interesting
Allegra- Steel Lugs TBC
Aurelia- Stainless All Road 8.5kg
Bertha- TT 9.8kg
Perdita- Ti Turbo bike 8kg
Serenity- Ti Gravel 9.5kg/8.9kg
Verity- Ti Aero 8.2kg
Alya- Ti Climbing TBC

All weights with pedals,cages & garmin mount

AscentBikes
in the industry

by AscentBikes

Yeah I hope things stabilize in the UK soon. Seems like it's been a spicy few weeks for you guys.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AscentBikes
in the industry

by AscentBikes

Hello everyone,
I'm absolutely elated that one of our riders, Luqmanul, took the win at the Men's Senior event at the Singapore Criterium yesterday.
He was riding the Polaris 69mm on his Cinelli Pressure.
As you can see from the picture, it wasn't even close - he beat the next guy by a couple of bike lengths.
TO CELEBRATE, I'LL BE TAKING 11% OFF THE POLARIS 69MM AND MIXED DEPTH WHEELS UNTIL 11 NOVEMBER :D
Enjoy the picture, enjoy the win!
https://www.ascent-bikes.com/polaris

Regards
QX

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

Great stuff congratulations

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Formerly known as Curryinahurry

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Update after some back and forth testing with the Polaris, 5.6s and 7.8s. I can safely say the oscillations can be felt to a similar degree across each wheelset. So basically it was all in my head.

Vuong05

by Vuong05

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 12:10 am
Update after some back and forth testing with the Polaris, 5.6s and 7.8s. I can safely say the oscillations can be felt to a similar degree across each wheelset. So basically it was all in my head.
Thanks for the update.
Current Stable. Evo (Storm Trooper) : 5.39kg | Alchemy Eros : Heavy (7.25kg) I Specialized Allez Sprint 2022 : Heavy (7.62kg)

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Vuong05 wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 3:02 am

Thanks for the update.

Happy to admit I was wrong. The Polaris 69mm have honestly been excellent so far.

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

Yea also appreciate this update tobin people often won't admit to when they get something wrong and can end up tarnishing a brand ..

Basso Diamante eps 12

Formerly known as Curryinahurry

AscentBikes
in the industry

by AscentBikes

Tobyn, thanks for the update! I'm glad that you're satisfied with the performance of the Polaris 69mm.
Haven't been here for 2 weeks, glad the Wheels forum is back.

In other happy news, one of my clients proposed to her boyfriend using a set of our Polaris 42 wheels!
Unconventional I'm sure, but definitely glad to have been part of it.

Regards
QX

mrlobber

by mrlobber

Please remind me, which (measured) tyre width did the Polaris 69 test best with in the wind tunnel? Also, were the tests done wheel-only or on a bike, and if so, on which one?
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

AscentBikes
in the industry

by AscentBikes

The Polaris 69 was tested with the GP5000/28 tubed tire in the wind tunnel. Measured tire width for the GP5000/28 is about 30.4mm, but may vary a little depending on the pressure.

Wheel was tested as wheel-only, on the supplied test stand provided by the wind tunnel. A full bike/full bike with rider would provide drag figures over an order of magnitude higher, and it would be nearly impossible to fully isolate the effect of different frames and riders/equipment/position from the final figure.

Regards
QX

AscentBikes
in the industry

by AscentBikes

Hello all,

I wanted to provide an update on the Polaris 42!
The Polaris 42 DT240 is now UCI Certified! :beerchug:
The wheel is now on the UCI List of Approved Wheels, so they can be used in mass-start road races.

We also have results from our impact (UCI), fatigue, and sprint test from CPTesting in Belgium.

Rotational accuracy according to ISO 4210-7 4.1: PASS (±0.2mm after bump and sprint test, max allowable 1.0mm)
Static strength test according to ISO 4210-7 4.2: PASS (0.07mm, 0.08mm after 250N load applied at rim edge. Max allowable 1.0mm)
5000KM Bump Fatigue Test (based off ISO 4210-7): PASS (No fractures, detachments, visible cracks, or pressure loss from the tire)
1000KM Sprint Test (like bump test, but with 15 degree oscillation): PASS (criteria as above)

I am confident that our rims pass the durability standards, while being lightweight and responsive.
This is why we will offer a lifetime warranty against manufacturing defects, and parts crash replacement for the original owner.

Regards
QX

mrlobber

by mrlobber

Finally got my Polaris raw 69 rims built to DTSwiss 240s with DT Aerolites.
Total weight is 758 + 851 = 1609g (w/o bartape).
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

mrlobber wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:58 am
Finally got my Polaris raw 69 rims built to DTSwiss 240s with DT Aerolites.
Total weight is 758 + 851 = 1609g (w/o bartape).
On J-Bend 240s? By my estimates, a straight-pull 240 build should be around 1575g.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Eggyeggs

by Eggyeggs

Any thoughts on developing something around the 55-60mm region (or event the low 60s)? 69s look ace but a touch deep for me. 42s too similar to my current climbing set of rims.
Something like the Roval Rapide CLX II?