ENVE Refresh?

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
Cemicar

by Cemicar

jwchew wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 6:58 pm
The QC on the wheels is pretty laughable compared to Bora wheels. I also have something rattling in my back wheel.
I've ever purchased only one pair of ENVE and Bora, so can't really compare the quality (neither is splendid or awful) but I always feel odd when ENVE hypes up their products by "made in USA". Nowadays it only means "pricey".

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rollinslow

by rollinslow

I wonder how much of these QC issues are just the natural process of when a company is successful, then sold to a large corporation. Large corporation then uses the established name to squeeze everything until the poor quality, high price etc set in and everyone stops buying.
Moots Vamoots RSL (2019)-Super Record 12
Cervelo S1 (2010)-Super Record 12
Kestrel RT700 (2008)-Dura Ace 9000
Mosaic GT-1 (2020)-SRAM Red viewtopic.php?f=10&t=174523

LedZeppelin007

by LedZeppelin007

I got a chance to really put the wheels through their paces this weekend in Asheville. First, rode up Mount Mitchell (about 20 miles at 6%, brutal climb). Then, rode the Asheville Gran Fondo (100 miles, nearly 10,000 feet of climbing). Initial thoughts: stiff enough, freehub engagement was nice, not draggy. Crosswind stability was excellent if not outstanding. Once up to speed on the flats, felt very fast for the depth. Not quite as fast as the DT ARC 1100 62s, but more comfortable and more confident descending.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

I need advice on a new set of rims.
I broke my Extralite C339s in a crash and now look for new wheels on the Aethos.
I am a little torn between the 3.4s and the 2.3s.
I'd have them custom build with my existing Extralite SPD3 Hubs and CX-Ray spokes.
There's around 190g between the rims in weight, the 2.3 would be a mega light ~1000g while the 3.4 would be just around the 1200g mark.
Both is impressively light.
Brain says 3.4, with those being clearly the faster wheel and also better suited for wider tires.
My heart however says 2.3.
After a wind related crash, the only thing that could sway me to go with the 2.3 would be descending.
The front wheels are pretty different.
The 2.3's is 28mm shallow and 21mm internal, 25mm external. That means it has less side area to be pushed by wind, but then again, every tire will bulge over the rim to some degree. Will this really lead to great stability or is this likely even detrimental to crosswind stability?
ENVe says these are the optimum here, but that doesn't mean much.
The 3.4S are 39mm deep (still quite shallow), 25mm internal, 32 external. More area to be pushed around, but will have a perfect interface with 28c tires.

Has anyone ridden the 2.3? This would really help me out.
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Didn’t you break your Rapides in a crash too? You need to stop caring so much about marginal differences when what you really need to do is ride with people who are better at descending / bike handling than you. That’s what’s important. You really shouldn’t be afraid of windy descents with 40mm-class rims.

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

Okay, I still wait for an answer. Not for someone trying to educate me on my shortcomings. Thanks Tobin, maybe one day I can be half the rider you are.
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

tmanley

by tmanley

FlatlandClimber wrote:Has anyone ridden the 2.3? This would really help me out.
I’ll share my experiences. I have the 2.3’s and 6.7’s and have enjoyed both. A few highlights of the 2.3’s: spin up really easy, feel great on steeper climbs (8% and steeper), not affected by any crosswinds.

I do a lot of riding on less steep climbs and I find the 6.7’s really rewarding too. Having such a difference between wheelsets I have a keen understanding and appreciation for the aero differences. There’s something addicting to the aero deeper wheels.

That said, I’m doing 10k of climbing this Saturday with some non-race team friends (century ride) and I’ll use the 2.3’s. I’d probably regret being on the 6.7’s at mile 70 when the road is pitched up at 10%!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

"Not affected by crosswinds" sounds good.
I have the 4.5s and they are great in crosswinds already.

What tires are you running on them?
I am a little surprised by the 90Psi Max pressure, when ETRTO clearly states otherwise.
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

tmanley

by tmanley

I'm running Vittoria Corsa Control 25's on the 2.3's and GP5000 S TR 25's on the 6.7's. Usually run both between 80-90psi depending on the road surface I'll be riding for the day.

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

Oh wow, that's proper high pressure.
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

kode54

by kode54

I would like to try a set of 2.3s...but like the stability of 25mm internal width descending. My main concern is the crappy road surface that I ride on...so 25mm internal width helps with an additional worry. If it were me...most likely 3.4s with 28s or 30mm tires, but as we all know...won't be as light as 2.3 with 25s.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

tmanley

by tmanley

FlatlandClimber wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 6:10 pm
Oh wow, that's proper high pressure.
I'm 95kg and it feels pretty good. Never had any issue w/ hookless either.

LedZeppelin007

by LedZeppelin007

Personally, unless you are constantly riding up 8+% grades, I don’t know why anyone would get the 2.3s. Yes, they are really cool and ultralight. But, they give up so much in aero.

Separately, any white streaks appearing for folks? Pretty sure I got some over the past week with some hard riding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ms6073

by ms6073

Anyone have any insights about Enve's latest email titled 'Our Latest Worst Kept Secret' that will be unveiled in the morning?

- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I'm guessing gravel (wider tire clearance) specific.. since they have Road and kinda All road
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com