elite drive Vs winspace hypers

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
Demonflip

by Demonflip

I've seen good reviews of the winspace and a whole load of elite unboxing videos but but very few reviews of the elites.

Anyone here have any experience with elites or with both and could share your insights?

Im comforted by the positive press associated with the hypers but the elites seems well received on Amazon reviews and the lighter weight is appealing.

greycat

by greycat

I have both in disc.

winspace Their branded rim taped applied. Easier to mount rotors cause you can use cassette removal tool. Tubeless valves installed. Logos were centered. Can see yellowing from resin in some lights. matte butterfly. Carbon spokes stamped st-01. Rim width 19-26 so harder to install tires. 1460g 4 Replacement spokes

Drive wheels - blue generic tubeless tape you apply. Rear hub needs a bb tool to mount a rotor. Didn't recieve valves(they are coming). Drive logo on one wheel wasn't centered. Gloss marble is different and I like the look. Carbon spokes with nothing stamped on them. Rim width 21-28 very easy to mount tires by hand. 1265g No replacement spokes. Looks like they machined extra material away around the spoke mounts on hubs.

I notice the lightness of the drives while accelerating. I really haven't gotten enough time to push them. I did kom on a 2 mile flat segment with them but really want to see what they do going up. If I took the winspace wheels to that same segment I'd do the same or better. Think everyone wants to get a fair amount of time on them before making any bold claims.

Neither comes with anti-bite guard on hubs which I have on rims that cost half as much.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

greycat

by greycat

Absolutely love the elite drive wheels. I've gone out for 5 50 mile rides. I used them in 20+mph winds, flats, rolling hills, and a few steep climbs. These wheels are evil. Fast on flats and you still got a weapon to fly up. I think it was my 3rd ride before I finally got to hear the wheels cause of the high winds.

I've set pr on both flat and climbing segments every single day i went out.

Dis/Mounting gp5000 28mm are super easy. I don't need a tool to mount. Removing just need to pop then center beads and slide tool. I'm using the ridenow tpu tubes. I'd think doing tubeless would be fine if you had to do a serious roadside fix and remove the bead. The 21mm internal really makes a difference over 19mm.

woodzyz

by woodzyz

Elite wheel rim design has more general inner width,which good for larger tire,I use 28c tire on them,their rim shape is a UV shape and larger outer width similar to Bontrager Aeolus providing more aero benefit when riding on windy condition,Winspace wheelset comparable weight is heavier than elite, Elite design team has more sense on carbon wheels ,I think Elite it should be better choice than WS,despite they are much new to the public,I upgrade my Domane SL5 with their drive 40 carbon spoke wheel,the riding improve is pretty sensible may be because of lower weight or others,not any challenge even on windy condition in UK.I think time will tell more difference on it.

eeney

by eeney

greycat wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 4:50 am
Absolutely love the elite drive wheels. ...........
Do you love them more than the Hypers, and why or why not? This is going to be a decision for many, I'm buying in the next month and my choice is Hypers or Drive.

greycat

by greycat

Winspace is releasing some new wheel set July 1st.

I think the drive wins verse current hypers. I have used both just this week roughly 120 miles each. The drives are lighter weight, wider inner/outer width, looks, way easier to (dis)mount tires. The freewheeling is smoother and I guess the ratching from the pawls doesn't slow the wheel. To be fair the pawl really shouldnt matter cause you should be pedaling and engaged.

When comparing I use the same tires and tubes 28mm and tpu.

I now have the hypers on gp5000 trs with 32mm tubeless. The drive I have with gp5000 28mm with ride now tpu tubes. Basically, I decided to use the hypers for longer rides/events 60-100 miles and more comfort. The drives for high speed sub 50 mile rides or tons of elevation changes.

I still think if you are flat course racing or constant pacing the hypers may be better choice. You likely are going for aero with smaller tires over weight. I honestly can't notice or say the drives can do top speed better or with less effort than the hypers.

If you are racing on a course with elevation changes drives will be better. Or you run 28+ tires anyways. I notice the lighter weight when I go for the snappy moves or punchy hills.

The drive rims are wider round than hypers so maybe less aero. Yet they may handle off angle winds better. Wider tire contact patch. Honestly I should leave that to those that get wind tunnel and wheel tire modeling to decide.

These are both top end racing wheels with rare proprietary components. Using these on crappy surfaces or poor weather can be done but is just overkill.

I really hope this help. I really like both wheelset. When I go out I never say damn wish I was on the other.

eeney

by eeney

Great info, thanks.

My local terrain is pretty hilly, so leaning towards the Drive. New Hypers sound interesting, I could wait to July to see what they announce.

Ian

martocom

by martocom

New Hypers are named D33, D45, D67 for Disc and R33, R45, R67 for Rim Brake. However, the stated depth is 35,46,60 mm.

SCJKJ

by SCJKJ

martocom wrote:
Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:00 pm
New Hypers are named D33, D45, D67 for Disc and R33, R45, R67 for Rim Brake. However, the stated depth is 35,46,60 mm.
Is this already leaked information somewhere or available on elite's site?

martocom

by martocom

It's from the UCI List of approved wheelsets.
But the Hypers are from Winspace/Lun, not from Elite.

SCJKJ

by SCJKJ

martocom wrote:
Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:52 pm
It's from the UCI List of approved wheelsets.
But the Hypers are from Winspace/Lun, not from Elite.
Ow, my bad ;)

stevesbike

by stevesbike

I have a set of the Drive 40v (rim brake) coming soon. Their newer ultralight build and will post a review. I also have a set of Elitewheel's BLTRX45 rim brake wheels as an everday set and the quality is top notch.

eeney

by eeney

Hambini has kinda reviewed the wheels, depending on how you view Hambini's opinion it's somewhat interesting. Unfortunately, when comparing against Winspace, he is comparing different depths, so you can't tell if the wheel design or wheel depth drives the differences.

Good news is that the quality seems to be on a par with the other similar brands.

stevesbike

by stevesbike

My ultralight set arrived a few days ago and I've had a few rides on them - will post more but first impressions. They are now substantially lighter - set came in at 1270 with valves and tubeless tape installed (came installed, which was nice) so probably right at or a bit under the claimed weight of 1255. They are were typical in terms of installing tires (Hutchinson Performance 25) - tight but could wrestle them on without levers. Sealed up well. On the road, they are really impressive. Extremely stiff and responsive, brake track works well. I tried the pads that came with them and they are surprisingly good. I especially like that the rear carbon drive-side spokes don't touch where they cross. This was a design concern with carbon spokes (worry about wear due to abrasion) so good to see they have offset drilling to avoid this. My plan is to use these as a raceday wheelset, but it's going to be hard to not be tempted - they are really impressive. I'm surprised by how much the cabon spokes damp vibration while also making the wheel so stiff. It's definitely a very different sensation (in a good way) from other wheelsets I've used.

elfuinha

by elfuinha

stevesbike wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:55 am
My ultralight set arrived a few days ago and I've had a few rides on them - will post more but first impressions. They are now substantially lighter - set came in at 1270 with valves and tubeless tape installed (came installed, which was nice) so probably right at or a bit under the claimed weight of 1255. They are were typical in terms of installing tires (Hutchinson Performance 25) - tight but could wrestle them on without levers. Sealed up well. On the road, they are really impressive. Extremely stiff and responsive, brake track works well. I tried the pads that came with them and they are surprisingly good. I especially like that the rear carbon drive-side spokes don't touch where they cross. This was a design concern with carbon spokes (worry about wear due to abrasion) so good to see they have offset drilling to avoid this. My plan is to use these as a raceday wheelset, but it's going to be hard to not be tempted - they are really impressive. I'm surprised by how much the cabon spokes damp vibration while also making the wheel so stiff. It's definitely a very different sensation (in a good way) from other wheelsets I've used.
Hello Steve

can you messure the 25mm tyre installed on that rims.
My fork only addmits 26mm at the most.

Let me know please. Thanks
Best Regards

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com