New Michelin Power Cup Tubeless: GP5K S TR competitor

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
RDY

by RDY

naavt wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:41 pm
mrlobber wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 12:00 pm
hannawald wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:23 am
Does the narrow thread width apply also for 30C version or it just affects 25C due to extreme stretching of the tyre? Thanks!
It isn't that wide there as well. Tried to photograph inflated tyre from below, you can see the vertical line where the tread ends, sidewall starts, and bulbs out further, right along with the Michelin logo.

michelin_30mm.jpg
Mines are much worse than that. I'll take a pic today when at home, but until now I've been descending with confidence. It seems to me that you have to corner with your knee on the floor to reach that sidewall on the tire. I really don't see anyone leaning that far on a road bike.
It's not necessarily about just cornering on it. Road debris is much more likely to slash the sideweall even when not leaning right over.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

naavt wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:41 pm

Mines are much worse than that. I'll take a pic today when at home, but until now I've been descending with confidence. It seems to me that you have to corner with your knee on the floor to reach that sidewall on the tire. I really don't see anyone leaning that far on a road bike.

Go back to page 26 of this thread to see how easy it is to lean past the tread on a Power Cup. The cornering grip is great until it isn’t. I definitely fell my rear tire start to go at a flat crit once enough of the rubber had worn off the sidewalls.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

hannawald

by hannawald

mrlobber wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 12:00 pm
hannawald wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:23 am
Does the narrow thread width apply also for 30C version or it just affects 25C due to extreme stretching of the tyre? Thanks!
It isn't that wide there as well. Tried to photograph inflated tyre from below, you can see the vertical line where the tread ends, sidewall starts, and bulbs out further, right along with the Michelin logo.
Thanks, looks indeed quite narrow, it´s a pity:(

Aress

by Aress

Maybe of topic but does any of you know if the TT version is also this narrow ?

naavt

by naavt

Here's a pic of my 25 looking from the top (inflated to 4,7):

Last edited by naavt on Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:05 am, edited 3 times in total.

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

Aress wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 9:28 am
Maybe of topic but does any of you know if the TT version is also this narrow ?
No, it's significantly wider. That's also what Jarno said in the BRR review. Along the lines of: "If only they had copied the TT for width..."
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

C36

by C36

Still think the tread story has been exaggerated. I could imagine if you ride on terrible roads like Tobin, you may want more side protection but on 10s of thousands of km the CIC U Nantes Atlantique (pro Continental) had no issues on training or race situations. Now they use 25 and 28mm section on either Shimano (21int-28ext) or Winspace (21-27.6) so tires are not as stretched than on 24mm internal.

Statistically it’sa lot more meaningful that my personal case where my 23 (tube type, measuring 25 mounted) and 25 (TL, 27 mounted) don’t display any sidewall wear.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

My tires didn’t get destroyed from rough roads. They got destroyed in 2-3 races from hard cornering. 25mm on Aeolus RSL 37 wheels (21mm.)

C36

by C36

Then, not sure what you are doing differently than Pro and Espoir riders, the only thing I see, would be installing them on much wider rims than the 21mm they use, I would be surprise the relatively lower pressure you use generates enough deflection to expose the sides.

Edit: I had another look at your tire pics and there is clearly something but I have never seen so many cuts on the edge of a tread, at least not on the countries I ride or followed riders. If the sidewalls, that have no protection, were really that often in contact with the road, they would be distroyed.

Aress

by Aress

I'm french so Corima wheels have always been a dream for me
I just picked a Paire of WS58 Dx and put Michelins on them since I had a pair and never mounted them because of the narrowness of the rolling strip

I get why U Nantes Atlantique never had a problem, Corimas are 16C internal so the rolling strip is comparable to a GP5K, they measure exactly 26mm
On my old Chinese carbon wheels (Farsports Revo) they ballooned to 28mm and were completely stretched out

C36

by C36

Cofidis uses corima but mostly tubulars, I saw them on tires on few occasions ,CIC Nantes used c60 or hyper both 21mm internal.

da123

by da123

C36 wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:55 pm
maxima wrote:I would like to knows anyone running 23mm Michelin power cup on their TT bikes? What real life width will that be on a 20mm inner width rim? if the 25mm measure up to 28-29mm ..............wonder the 23mm will measure 26-27mm easily
On a 19mm rim they measure 25.1/25.3
After 3000km they must be a bit wider, can check if interested.
No doubt a silly question, but given the 23mm clincher measures up as circa 25mm on a 20/21 ID rim, is there another reason you shouldn't use the 23mm on a reasonably wide internal rimmed wheelset (I'm thinking safety, or do the 23s have even less tread coverage? Would this combination be even worse for sidewall damage)? I have Roval Rapide CLXs (21mm internal) and Extralite C338s (19mm internal), and was pondering the 23mm clinchers to try and keep the inflated width within the 105 rule. Don't want to pull the trigger if there would otherwise be a reason that this combination would be a daft idea however... Cheers, Dave

TWraab

by TWraab

Just fit a set of the 28mm version on 21mm internal rims and they're measuring at 29-29.5mm depending on pressure (65-72psi). So nothing shocking really in terms of ballooning way over the labeled size.
Will be keeping an eye on if I get unusual wear on the sidewalls due to the narrower tread, however it does seem like quite the lean required to get there on the 28.

naavt

by naavt

I'm swapping wheels. I've sold my 303s and I'm now waiting for a Campy WTO wheelset to arrive, which has less 4mm internal width.

I'm fitting the exact same Power Cups on them. Let's see if the thread width will change that much once installed.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

OUGrad05

by OUGrad05

Where are you guys actually finding these for sale?