NEW GP5000S TR

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
Aesch

by Aesch

George46GR wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 4:52 pm
PinaRene wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 5:25 pm
George46GR wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:29 pm
Today I mounted the GP5000S TR 25mm on my Farsports Feder disk wheelset.
What size did they come out on the Feder wheels ?
Feder wheels are 21mm (ext.) 19mm (int.) wide. Both tyres (F & R) measured at 26.2 mm.
Feder wheels are either 19 internal and 26 external or 21 internal & 28 external width.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

George46GR

by George46GR

Aesch wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:13 pm
George46GR wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 4:52 pm
PinaRene wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 5:25 pm
George46GR wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:29 pm
Today I mounted the GP5000S TR 25mm on my Farsports Feder disk wheelset.
What size did they come out on the Feder wheels ?
Feder wheels are 21mm (ext.) 19mm (int.) wide. Both tyres (F & R) measured at 26.2 mm.
Feder wheels are either 19 internal and 26 external or 21 internal & 28 external width.
You are right. Apologies for my mistake, they have for sure 19mm internal width.
2023 Cervelo S5, size 56, sapphire/ice

tunaseng

by tunaseng

Anybody encounter weeping sealant for the tan wall versions? Constantly seeing sealant on my floor. No they arent trying to patch any punctures.

Maddie

by Maddie

Tan walls are just black 5000s tr that are tan painted. They are not weeping through the side wall. You probably lose sealant somewhere else

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Maddie wrote:
Sun Oct 09, 2022 12:23 pm
Tan walls are just black 5000s tr that are tan painted. They are not weeping through the side wall. You probably lose sealant somewhere else
I have definitely had a significant amount of moisture collect under Schwalbe Pro Ones with Bontrager TLR sealant. Damp/dark spots also appear all around the tire casing. Not with Orange Seal though, and not with GP5K S TR + Orange Seal. I have not tried GP5K S TR with other sealants yet.

ziocomposite

by ziocomposite

tunaseng wrote:
Sun Oct 09, 2022 11:51 am
Anybody encounter weeping sealant for the tan wall versions? Constantly seeing sealant on my floor. No they arent trying to patch any punctures.
Which sealant are you using? It was back when the tires originally released but Silca's had issues, unsure if this has changed since then. They even have a blog on it (https://silca.cc/blogs/silca/sealant-update) From reading various threads all over the internet, Orange Seal (Regular) looks to perform great so have stuck to that.

tunaseng

by tunaseng

I am using Stan's sealant. Ok then I am guessing it is normal.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

tunaseng wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 3:52 am
I am using Stan's sealant. Ok then I am guessing it is normal.

It's not "normal." It means your Stan's sealant will dry out more quickly than a sealant that does a better job creating an airtight layer inside the tire.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

"Forced" to switch Continental TR after second Vittoria Corsa clincher sidewall at the bead was cut by my rim. Instantly notice inferior ride quality, not terrible, just not Corsa level. Pebbly surfaces are more noticeable even at much lower pressure. Somehow road feedback is very muted as well - seems contradictory. Happy to be on tubeless though.

I do wonder about the grip. Reading through this thread some users are adament that the grip is lacking in extreme situations on dry roads, and more substantial doubts about wet performance. Other users are quite satisfied with grip. Did Pidcock use these tires for his epic Galibier descent? If so, surely we could put our concerns aside. I know Ineos use this tire, but did Picock on that day? Anyone know for certain? In the same vein, Colbrelli won Paris Roubaix on the TR (but Moscone crashed for no reason on them also :noidea: )

30mm on 25mm internal measure aprox 33m.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

GP5K grip isn’t an issue on dry roads and I’m not willing to test the wet grip of any tire. Wet roads are so highly variable depending on how soaked they are, oil/contamination, etc. But yes, GP5K wet grip is middling at best.

windscreen

by windscreen

If you're looking for S-TR in the USA, Planet Cyclery just put them on sale for $64 ea and shows blackwalls in stock in sizes 25, 28 and 32 mm.

Seems crazy to me to have a sale on something everyone else has on back order, but I'm not an online retail expert either.

-Steve

alanyu

by alanyu

My remark is that, compared to the old TL, STR grip is worse around center, but better around edges.
I can lock the front wheel with STR by much less effort when a sudden brake is called, but it indeed gives me more confidence at cornering, in both dry and wet conditions.

Maddie

by Maddie

Your roads must be pretty bad if you can lock the front wheel in dry conditions. No matter what tire, when braking hard on the front in dry conditions, the rear would always lift off earlier than the front tire would lock.
And if I did your emergency braking, I would simply take a flyer over the handlebars.

If it's wet or in difficult road conditions (oil etc) then it's a different story of course.

paulpongco

by paulpongco

how is everyone's experience on puncture protection for the STR (less than 1500kms mileage)? I had my first puncture yesterday. I am using 28 STR. 303 FC with Mariposa sealant. spinning the wheel didnt show sealant spewing out but tire was losing air. sealant not dry as it was less than 2 months since installed.
My friend's bike is on a relatively new 28 STR (less than 300kms mileage) installed on Bora WTO had it worse. Mariposa sealant. 3 punctures on one ride.
We both had to put on inner tubes to fix eventually.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I can only compare it to the GP5K TL as I haven't tried tubeless on other brands. The S TR is much much worse than the TL. The TL was actually quite good.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com